Manx Gas Price Hike

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On that philosophy, why not 20%, 40%? There has to be some control of a monopoly. They are saying we must have 10.6% and we will extract it come hell or high water, whatever the state of the economy o

This statement appears to be the most blatant abuse of a monopoly position I've seen in a long while.   In essence they have a profit figure of X% that they need to maintain. If they are not meeti

Love this. Although Bell would need a bigger set of overalls.

This statement appears to be the most blatant abuse of a monopoly position I've seen in a long while.

In essence they have a profit figure of X% that they need to maintain. If they are not meeting X% they will simply increase costs until they do.

Is there any actual oversight into how the business is run? Are it's costs appropriate for instance for a company of it's type?

It's the ultimate get out of jail card - the company could be the best or the worst run on the planet. This statement makes that completely irrelevant - they have to make X% they are not doing that [insert reasons] and thus increase prices until they do.

As others have stated if we have a hard winter will prices come down I suspect we all have a view on that.

They are basically running a business without risk - which is something we would all very much like but most of us are not so fortunate and have to actually work at things, keep costs in check etc to achieve a profit.

In many ways the MD of Manx Gas has perhaps the best job in the world.

Edited by mayhem
  • Like 5

Well, the shareholders have to have their dividends don't they, we can't have the wealthier pensioners being poorer just because the poorer ones are being efficient and using common sense.......I hope we have a 4 month heatwave starting in November :-)

Edited by Matt Bawden

I know I'll be setting the timer differently for the winter, maybe turning the rad thermostats down, we had one of the super-efficient boilers fitted when our old combi was getting very old, it was supposed to save so much, it even tested 105% efficient on one of the services, but as yet it has always been more expensive to run than the old one - what a con :(

• Like 1

Well, the shareholders have to have their dividends don't they, we can't have the wealthier pensioners being poorer just because the poorer ones are being efficient and using common sense.......I hope we have a 4 month heatwave starting in November :-)

Shareholders do need it, their gas bills are going up.

Manx Gas chief admits price hike not ideal

The head of Manx Gas says he understands customers’ frustration after a 2.9 per cent price hike was confirmed.

An increased tariff will cost the average domestic customer with gas central heating about six pence a day from September the 12th.

The company’s also announced a three per cent increase in their standing charge.

Tony Nicholls, group managing director of parent company International Energy Group, says it’s not a decision which has been taken lightly.