Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
offshore

Isle of Man Beer and Cider Festival 2015

Hi all. Apologies for Friday. That was outside our control. We were told by the Fire Brigade we could open the main doors and let 1000 in with freedom of movement between rooms. That nicely doubled capacity over the Freemason's.

When we arrived Tuesday we were told 250 in the Promenade Suite and the Villa staff would close the doors at 180. We knew then we had trouble brewing. We were informed by Villa Management on Sunday that they had called in the Fire Brigade this week and agreed 250 limit. All news to us until Tuesday when we got there. Too late to move the beer. Just had to grin and bear it. Next year we should be attending all meetings of Villa with the fire brigade so we all sing from the same hymn sheet.

Further we were told over the summer we could only have the Royal Hall for 3 days. No good to us as we need 7. Over the weekend it emerged we could have had the Hall for days as it had been unused for a fortnight.

It is now booked for 7 days next year and will contain the beer.

Not sure what we will do with the bands. Maybe swap and send them to the Promenade Suite or maybe none at all. Bands were bought in originally to raise demand as we weren't sure if anyone would turn up.

With regard to the hire costs including security we paid a 3 figure sum for the whole place for a week and not the 4 figure sum per day being mentioned. IOMG see the festival as high profile and offered assistance this year without being asked. We have no complaints on that score just gratitude. In CAMRA terms and number of different beers stocked the IOM festival is in the top 10% of all CAMRA festivals in the British Isles. Not bad as we are only 4 years old.

Attendees were well up at 3000 (1900 last year) despite Friday and it was a virtual sellout. 100 pints or so left and no cider perry or fruit wine. All that went at 8 pm Saturday.

Royal Hall should take the loading in terms of weight. No issues there. Bar may be back to back stillage down the centre from the stage and cider bar across the sound box. Possibly as many as 200 beers next time up from 132 plus duplicates. Should be allowed 800 people in the Hall so assuming agreement with Fire Brigade is reached then more beer should be on the cards. Would be embarrassing to run out if you've got in on the Friday! Friday night could be ticket only in advance. That is very common in the UK. Our Friday night queue is not unique to the Island.

Cider bar had 38 different ciders and perries 49 in all including duplicates. Next year we will have 56 different ciders and perries with duplicates stashed elsewhere.

Thank you for all your support and comments. We try to take them all on board and make the event bigger and better each year. We are all volunteers, regular beer drinkers who hold down full time jobs and give up (in my case) 200 hours a year to deliver the fest and there's a good few who give up double that amount of time. It a wonder sometimes that most of us are still married!

Cheers guys and thanks very much

Edited by offshore
  • Like 3

Well done & thank you for the apology, appreciated.

Re: the bands. Keep them & keep them in the Royal Hall!!! Good beer, mates & music makes for a quality experience.

It will be brilliant.

• Like 4

Thank you for the apology and detailed response

• Like 1

Thanks for the post Offshore.

Make it better and make it the best in the British Isles. We know it will be.

• Like 1

Fairplay offshore. I gotta use the phrase "onwards and upwards".

I look forward to next year.

(and bands in a tent maybe, or even in the Royal Hall as suggested above, but there seems to be two schools of thoughts about music at a beer festival)

The good news is that the far better and much more relaxed Falcons Nest beer festival is next month.

Is it definitely on? Didn't see it advertised anywhere this year? It will be a real shame if it's not on, as it was my favourite. Even more so after the great Villa beer festival debacle 2015.

According to this it is http://www.gov.im/event.gov?eventid=4903&events_day=13&events_month=4&events_year=2015&searchtext=&categoryid=&agencyid=&page=

• Like 1

The good news is that the far better and much more relaxed Falcons Nest beer festival is next month.

Is it definitely on? Didn't see it advertised anywhere this year? It will be a real shame if it's not on, as it was my favourite. Even more so after the great Villa beer festival debacle 2015.

According to this it is http://www.gov.im/event.gov?eventid=4903&events_day=13&events_month=4&events_year=2015&searchtext=&categoryid=&agencyid=&page=

Cheers!

Thanks offshore - nice factual response which neatly deals with some of the bollocks spouted earlier. Good luck and thanks for all your hard work.

• Like 1

I read the same on their Facebook group AT

I went on Friday and had a great evening, managed to try about 10 different beers, had my tea and enjoyed the music. I will be definitely going next year as will a mate who came over for the festival as he has done for the last couple of years. The longest wait I had was about 15 minutes but stood chatting with mates and the time flew by.

I'm sure the volunteers running it in their own time would appreciate your help and input next year.

• Like 5

I still had a good time and a sore head, though there were people moaning. They were moaning AND drinking though :D

I still had a good time and a sore head, though there were people moaning. They were moaning AND drinking though :D

Wow...they should have been up on the stage...not seen a ventriloquist live for years.