Douglas Masterplan could provoke strong reactions says Minister

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“Centrepiece of the Maritime Gateway will be a new purpose built port and potential cruise liner terminal, replacing the 1960s-built Sea Terminal. “ say architects and urban designers IBI Taylor Young

There can be no master plan worth its name that would demolish the Sea Terminal. How fecking bonkers is that? It does its job (except Carlo should re-open the restaurant) and is the most notable lan

Just fix Ramsey pier, would be a hell of a lot cheaper and kill two bird with one stone.

Posted Images

The Sea Terminal building is a unique landmark on the island and one of the few local buildings that have architectural merit. The government are supposed to be downsizing so they should turf out all the civil servants apart from the visitor centre. They should also put the crows nest area out for lease as a restaurant again. They can restore the exterior to how it was when built and on the inside, give it a full modern makeover - you can have a 60s style exterior with a super modern interior, that really works.

• Like 3

I caught a glimpse of the 'Master Plan' when it was in the Strand Shopping Centre one Saturday.

There was no opportunity to take in all the details and since then I haven't been able to find out how the public will really be consulted about such major proposals.

Where are the plans now?

Typical. Huge plots in the lower part of town look like Dresden after the war, so what do they propose? Knock down one of the few buildings that actually looks distinctive and does its job fine. What can you say?

I think it was during the Sixties that they bulldozed the last Sea Terminal building. A beautiful Victorian structure which most of the World would have cherished. Now we are to witness the next dream of a bunch of Civil Servants and their mates to justify their existence. The plan is to flatten the equally lovely Douglas Railway Station, if they get their way. The present Sea Terminal was looked upon by most as hideous when it was built, as no doubt will the next one. Why would the architects, Civil Servants, planners or indeed Government worry, it's the Public who will be paying for it , so crack on. Money no object.

• Like 2

I caught a glimpse of the 'Master Plan' when it was in the Strand Shopping Centre one Saturday.

There was no opportunity to take in all the details and since then I haven't been able to find out how the public will really be consulted about such major proposals.

Where are the plans now?

The Sea Terminal building is a unique landmark on the island and one of the few local buildings that have architectural merit. The government are supposed to be downsizing so they should turf out all the civil servants apart from the visitor centre. They should also put the crows nest area out for lease as a restaurant again. They can restore the exterior to how it was when built and on the inside, give it a full modern makeover - you can have a 60s style exterior with a super modern interior, that really works.

I agree. Nearly all the 60s and later buildings in Douglas are sad pastiches of the Victorian past, the Sea Terminal is unashamedly of its time and a landmark building. Renovate, underpin if necessary and preserve it.

• Like 1

In the Sea Terminal? Christ, the whole of Douglas is falling down

Sincere apologies, I meant the railway station. Apparently one corner has some 'slight subsidence'.

It's been there 100+ years, it'll probably last the same again if Gawne loses the next election.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/we-must-act-now-or-apply-for-demolition-1-6817677

TBT.

Edit to add link.

Edited by The Border Terrier

Typical. Huge plots in the lower part of town look like Dresden after the war, so what do they propose? Knock down one of the few buildings that actually looks distinctive and does its job fine. What can you say?

I think it was during the Sixties that they bulldozed the last Sea Terminal building. A beautiful Victorian structure which most of the World would have cherished. Now we are to witness the next dream of a bunch of Civil Servants and their mates to justify their existence. The plan is to flatten the equally lovely Douglas Railway Station, if they get their way. The present Sea Terminal was looked upon by most as hideous when it was built, as no doubt will the next one. Why would the architects, Civil Servants, planners or indeed Government worry, it's the Public who will be paying for it , so crack on. Money no object.

>A beautiful Victorian structure which most of the World would have cherished.

Why not finance the new Sea Terminal from the MHK's pension fund and see how many votes the project receives?

That should put the kybosh on it quick smart...

post-35120-0-44966800-1410030447_thumb.png

TBT.

Centrepiece of the Maritime Gateway will be a new purpose built port and potential cruise liner terminal, replacing the 1960s-built Sea Terminal. “ say architects and urban designers IBI Taylor Young

A rather puzzling statement, I had always believed that our harbour was purpose built port

The construction of a potential cruise liner terminal seems a bit superfluous as we already have a mini linkspan to facilitate cruise passengers, who have a quick coach tour of the Island and a cup of tea then back on the boat

The plan to demolishing the Sea Terminal is no more than corporate vandalism in order fill the pockets of the next shower of consultants and contractors

The existing Sea Terminal functions perfectly well. It's a light comfortable space for passengers to transit with a decent café and newsagents plus car parking and a tourist office.

As a building it is an iconic piece of 60s architecture and was designed by a local firm

It is now almost fifty years old and still looks bold and modern

• Like 6