Low content topic starts

John Wright

TSM, you can easily address this by simply commenting on the links you post in the first post. That would start reasoned discussion, I can't see an issue with that.

Wow, you're not patronising. [/sarcasm]

How is that patronising, its sensible advice. It;s only patronising if you're looking for it to be.

TSM, you can easily address this by simply commenting on the links you post in the first post. That would start reasoned discussion, I can't see an issue with that.

Yes, you could maintain say, 5 stock phrases such as:

"This doesn't sound like a good idea"

"I can see where they're coming from but I don't think it will achieve the desired result"

"I strongly agree/disagree (delete at random) with this policy"

and then simply append them to the link.

Until it's decided that these stock phrases do not meet the escalated policy of "substantive comment", at which point you can simply maintain a longer list of 2-sentence stock phrases.

Until its decided that these longer stock phrases do not meet the escalated policy of "ManxForums editorial style and policy" and new topics must be submitted to the editorial team for approval before posting.

• Like 4

As a further fact, the only one with no replies is this one, which funnily enough has later been duplicated and commented on here. (Not like Amadeus to let such double postery stand! Is he ok?) And what comments! This is a joke right? I'm getting trolled here aren't I? Ok, you got me! You guys!

I have noticed that the Local News forum has been filled with such posts recently with the entire front page showing very few replies.

You obviously notice what you want to notice because that simply isn't true.

My apologies, that was badly phrased. There have been times when I have logged on, looked at the local news section, and seen a list of news reports with very few or no comments. I accept that they may pick up comments as time passes but if you look at this thread; http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57809-mcguinness-tt-watch-stolen/ the first comment was by you posting a further link to an update on the story. Only after this did anyone else comment and there are a few others which have now dropped off the front page which have no comments at all.

I would much prefer that you post the link and then give your views. Some of the news stories you have posted have been pretty dull in my opinion ("Line up for I love Manx Chef of the Year" springs to mind).

I have no problem with you particularly, I don't always agree with you, but it does get a bit bland when anyone just posts a link without comment.

Yes, you could maintain say, 5 stock phrases such as:

"This doesn't sound like a good idea"

"I can see where they're coming from but I don't think it will achieve the desired result"

"I strongly agree/disagree (delete at random) with this policy"

and then simply append them to the link.

Until it's decided that these stock phrases do not meet the escalated policy of "substantive comment", at which point you can simply maintain a longer list of 2-sentence stock phrases.

Until its decided that these longer stock phrases do not meet the escalated policy of "ManxForums editorial style and policy" and new topics must be submitted to the editorial team for approval before posting.

That's not what I'm talking about though. I've no idea whether this policy is specifically aimed at TSM but I do suspect his large number of link only posts has at least prompted it. I don't have any issue with TSM, I don't recall ever bickering on here and don't intend on starting too either, although I would suggest they are trying to play the victim card a bit too much at the moment. The problem as I see it is for mobile phone users who are confronted with reams of (often pointless) threads, which is effectively spam and an annoyance (time, money). If someone really does have a view on a random news story about the Women's Institute in Ramsey or any other tedious or tenuous IoM link news story on Manx Radio, etc. then is it so odd to ask them to express a view on it rather than simply post a link?

I suppose in the end, it all comes down to whoever owns and runs any forum. They can have whatever rules they want and if the users don't like it they can go elsewhere or even start their own forum.

• Like 1

Declan...I haven't reported any of TSM'S posts or TJs for that matter.

Why did you have to bring up my name in this thread? You are deliberately trying to link me in people's minds with TSM, by repeatedly mentioning us together, so when he goes down, I go down with him. It's a petty association fallacy, like Godwin's Law.

... reams of (often pointless) threads, which is effectively spam and an annoyance (time, money)

Mallet topic, for example.

One person's pointless topic is another's burning issue/guilty pleasure etc. Setting oneself up to decide which topics are "postworthy" or not is a slippery slope.

Having said all that, I take your point about "who owns the forum, sets the rules".

The fact I posted the notice about the change doesn't mean the decision was mine. it was discussed by the moderating team. it is in effect a policy change in terms of implementing the rules (which I drafted but which were then discussed before adoption).

It isn't aimed at anyone. Its neutral. Its an anti spam issue, which the existing rules cover.

Newsbots contribution by links only was removed some time ago. its no different.

I'm the MF legal adviser and to do that job I have moderators privileges on the forums. There isn't a function button/description to allocate for that. Just happened to be more convenient for me to post this.

I suppose in the end, it all comes down to whoever owns and runs any forum. They can have whatever rules they want and if the users don't like it they can go elsewhere or even start their own forum.

That's not strictly true. They have to adhere to the laws and statutes that govern the Isle of Man. Also, the forum is presented as a public commons, just like Youtube or Twitter. With that comes a responsibility to uphold elementary standards of freedom of speech. I don't think this is a freedom of speech issue, though. Posting spam is just silly. I'm sure TSM can come up with a few sentences or a paragraph of writing to get around this.

There has been a surge in topics being opened, with just a link and a quote from another forum, website or media site , and no comment opinion or analysis from the OP.

These have attracted reports and adverse comment.

In future, when seen, these will be removed.

John,

Well done, good decision.

• Like 1