Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Chinahand

Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Demonstrations

What happens to you if you demonstrate against Chinese Communist Party control of power.

Link1

Link2

BBC is blocked in mainland China now. Seems to have been blocked from last night.

I don't know why. Can't see anything on it that could be considered as anti-Chinese.

I blame Angela Merkel.

She took the14 billion buck bailout from China a few weeks back.

Are the protests still going on? Did they get what they wanted, or not?

Still going on, but everything's deadlocked. The government, after their earlier overreaction, have played a clever game: I think the protestors are losing support among the normal working populace because they are being inconvenienced by the road closures, every single day, and they are getting tired of it. Taxi drivers hate them, lots of shop owners don't have a good word for them.

Funnily enough, most of the student contingent actually abandon their tents to go to lectures during the day, and return to them later. I'm not sure this would be how a British student protest would roll...

I'm at Perth airport due to arrive in Hong Kong around 0700 (local time) so hoping it doesn't kick off, (hardly gets a mention in the Australian news progs).

a few tents "blocking off" a street or two to the business district and a few students is about all I could see but some locals are a bit disgruntled as the roads are closed to traffic, the tour guide was of the opinion that it was fizzling out and expected the powers that be to clear the roads soon

The Hong Kong students and young people demonstrating against the extradition bill going through the local Hong Kong legislature are brave. 

The CPC would crush them in an instant if it had its way. Something it is working hard to achieve chipping away at one country two systems.  

I wonder how news of this seeps across the border into Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

Keep strong Hong Kong. Stay different.

Now where’s Stinky to complain about Imperialist manipulation and Geopolitical meddling?

It’s all going on. 

Au contraire my dear old thing. I have been monitoring this event quite closely, quite hard not to really, our trusty media is all over it for some reason, can't think why? In fact I have even posted a Manxman on the ground to report back to me on events. For some reason he doesn't seem quite as melodramatic about it as the trustworthy media or your blindly biased good self though old boy.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-manx-resident-feels-safe-in-hong-kong-despite-protests/

• Like 1

It's not as if the Chinese have posted snipers to shoot children in the back or anything. Remarkable restraint considering what happens in other parts of the world.

• Like 1