Reducing prisoner re-offending rates

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't send people to prison. It should be a total last resort.   Don't cripple people with fines and punishments that put them into a position where they are tempted to break the law. Excessive fine

None of the above (well maybe the first bullet point)   It wasn't effective most people birched in the period from 1948 to the end were convicted of further offences. The recidivism rate was higher

Letter to: Minister of Home Affairs Date: 31/12/2009 Subject: Restorative Justice   QUOTE Dear Minister Please can you advise me on what progress (or otherwise) Gov. (executive and legislature)

Are you serious Spook? Crime rates practically zero if all were Christian.....er....Catholic Church = massive child abuse to name but one crime which is endemic. Genocide committed it in the name of Christianity is another....there are a multitude more. Do you honestly think that because someone is a Christian that they are immune to breaking the law?

Weren't the Louis Group Christians?

• Like 1

TBT - totally off topic but why do all your posts appear with a grey box outline around the text?

It's to remind The Forum of the plight of Big Andy Carroll currently injured at West Ham.

As soon as he scores another Premiership goal, the background will disappear.

A form of Free George Davis Campaign only in print.

Remember the 1975 Headingley Test Match?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/19/newsid_2534000/2534763.stm

It's the very least I could do...

TBT.

Edit to add: Or it could be, err, that I've cut and pasted the 'first line' quote from the previous post, then highlighted and copied to increase the size of the font whilst inadvertently copying the grey background. Maybe...

When I was a young fella there was none of this modern crime. It's all these come over jousters!

Ah me long lost brother Jimmy. How you doing fella? You got out at last then? Been a long time. I never thought you did it by the way. But don't come round as the wife doesn't want you in the house. Nothing personal fella, but what with you shagging that sheep and all she doesn't want you sitting on our new suite. Still haven't paid it off yet. Only a few payments to go though then I might be able to persuade her. You back living in the estate? Thought I would have seen you in the Legion by now if you're out? That way the wife won't know we've met. Nothing personal you understand. Your still me brother. But that nasty business with the sheep has affected the wife. Had to explain it all to the grand kids. How do you explain your uncle was caught shagging a sheep to an 8 year old? She took it real personal. How was the food inside? Do they still make you sew the mail bags and all? Anyway fella, you're still me brother. But just don't come round the house. Or call. Or speak to me in the queue at the Post Office when I'm picking up me pension. Other than that I wish you all the best fella.

In reply to 'mojomonkey'; - Sadly not everyone is Christian, if they were the crime rate would reduce to virtually zero, but just as I have to accept that blasphemy is not a crime so I must accept that many people want revenge for having someone done wrong to them.

But the Law has taken away the right to extract that revenge first hand.

It follows that revenge should therefore be taken by proxy and it has not been happening for a considerable time now. So many cases where victims complain bitterly how a sentence has in no way provided the suffering for the perpetrator that the victims, or increasingly the victims families, feel they are entitled to see.

Is it scriptural to want to see the guilty punished? Yes, it is. Those guilty of acts determined by the State to be crimes should be punished by the State. Seeing you want to claim that you know so much about the bible you should know where this is made clear. Here's a one word clue. Render.

To 'listenchuck' - are you serious? Do you really not know? Here's a one word clue for you. Parliament.

Parliament,are you serious?

Here's a three word response. Not democratically elected.

• 3 weeks later...

Letter to: Minister of Home Affairs

Date: 31/12/2009

Subject: Restorative Justice

Dear Minister

Please can you advise me on what progress (or otherwise) Gov. (executive and legislature) is making in respect of Restorative Justice. I recall seeing an article in the Examiner some time ago but have not heard/seen anything since.

UNQOTE

Response from: Acting Chief Executive, DHA

Date: 07.01.2010

Further to your email to the Minister for Home Affairs of the 31st December 2009 on the above topic, I can now make the following response.

The Department has prepared plans for a scoping exercise and pilot scheme to examine the effectiveness of restorative justice in an IOM context. We are now attempting to identify funding to take forward the pilot scheme during the 2010/11 financial year. As I am sure you will appreciate in the current economic climate, there are many competing priorities to which Departmental funding can be allocated but we are hopeful that progress can be made in the near future.

If you have any further queries in relation to this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

UNQUOTE

Today - as far as I am aware nothing has been done.

Conclusion - IOMG is not serious about law & order or other related issues.

• Like 3

Andy, a very informative reply in response to the very serious deficiencies the HMSO Inspectors Report found and the very clear recommendations he made in his Report. I trust you will provide a copy of the above reply to the forthcoming Public Inquiry, as besides the blatant failure for the Minister and in particular the Governor, an innocent person has lost her life, and her family have been devastated. Whilst the lad has been sentenced to 10 years in Prison, it should follow that those allowed this to occur, they should equally be facing serious criminal charges. I can assure you that from spending 21 months in Prison nothing has changed, the loss of a life and a young lad being sentenced for 10 years are clear proof of the failing of those in power and should have implemented the Recommendations made by the Independent Inspector.

Are you serious Spook? Crime rates practically zero if all were Christian.....er....Catholic Church = massive child abuse to name but one crime which is endemic. Genocide committed it in the name of Christianity is another....there are a multitude more. Do you honestly think that because someone is a Christian that they are immune to breaking the law?

Weren't the Louis Group Christians?

No. They claimed to be but they were not.

And where are I advocated breaking the law?

Acts of civil disruption do not require any laws to be broken. Simple things such as rubbing a candle on forms with areas marked 'for official use only' cause problems, writing illegible cause problems. Writing cheques with different amounts in words than figures causes problems, overpaying official bills and then claiming back the overpayment causes problems, and that's just for starters.

Andy, a very informative reply in response to the very serious deficiencies the HMSO Inspectors Report found and the very clear recommendations he made in his Report. I trust you will provide a copy of the above reply to the forthcoming Public Inquiry, as besides the blatant failure for the Minister and in particular the Governor, an innocent person has lost her life, and her family have been devastated. Whilst the lad has been sentenced to 10 years in Prison, it should follow that those allowed this to occur, they should equally be facing serious criminal charges. I can assure you that from spending 21 months in Prison nothing has changed, the loss of a life and a young lad being sentenced for 10 years are clear proof of the failing of those in power and should have implemented the Recommendations made by the Independent Inspector.

I assure you?

You would wouldn't you!

How can you even look a person in the eye and tell them it is the truth?

Everything you say on here should be taken with a pinch of salt as your past has finally caught up with you.

My ears are jangling with people who have lets say, not so nice things to say about you and maybe it's because you're so bent that you make a roundabout look straight!

Who the *uck are you trying to kid?

You're just trying to wean yourself in to public sympathy like you did at Court.

You have such a chequered past that you could double up as the finishing flag during the TT.

Should I or shouldn't I? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Think deep Lewin, think deep!!!!!!!!!!!!!