Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Bobbie Bobster

Grand Designs

"Container House" ep. That was weird. Turned out a lot better than I, and everyone else expected, though.

ec7db_1411571780563_wps_39_UNP_CH4_32376

However, it did give a fale impression about it's relative cheapness. £135k for 135 m2 of house sounds good, until you take site cost (as mentioned in the prog) and architect's/project manager's costs (not mentioned) into account.

Anyone got an idea about how much you would expect to pay an architect to design and PM something like that?

I charge £50 for the designs (different angles at extra charge) and £15 to project manage.

Things like curtains can be different colours to suit you, so blue is just an example at this stage.

dd25bm.jpg

• Like 3

"Container House" ep. That was weird. Turned out a lot better than I, and everyone else expected, though.

I thought it was a bit silly. Both containers had to be basically rebuilt as the stress wasn't on the end frame, but in the middle. By the time you've rebuilt the steel around the centre, applied the very expensive adhesive insulation and double skinned the walls, you've basically re-built the original container. Why bother doing that to the restrictive dimensions and end up with a compromise?

He may have been onto something if he'd have just stacked them and worked with the base materials a bit more.

He'd have been far better just building on site in the traditional way. Interesting exercise but in now way a viable way to build houses.

By the time you've rebuilt the steel around the centre, applied the very expensive adhesive insulation and double skinned the walls, you've basically re-built the original container.

Yep, "Triggers Broom" did occur to me in the course of watching.

OTOH, it was probably a very cost-effective 60 minute TV advertisement for his architectural practice.

• Like 1

OTOH, it was probably a very cost-effective 60 minute TV advertisement for his architectural practice.

Yes, and they were a very nice family to spend the hour with. Kevin's always good company too.

• Like 1

The nearly 1m "shed" in London was hideous, I am no designer but I'm fairly certain if I had 1m to play with, I'd do a better job than them - hey, anyone wanna let me have a go?!