Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lxxx

Our closest major city undergoing a tourism boom.

I see Liverpool is undergoing a tourism boom at the moment, with 17 new hotels opening since 2011 and 19 new hotel proposals at the planning stage.

Can we do anything to leverage off of this and work with Marketing Liverpool? Or are we just an expensive trip which offers nothing special.

• Like 2

We should be working with Marketing Liverpool as even day trippers would bring in extra income to the Island, increase usage of the Steam Packet ships, which would to increased frequency of sailings and possible reduction in fares, a win win chance.

I see Liverpool is undergoing a tourism boom at the moment, with 17 new hotels opening since 2011 and 19 new hotel proposals at the planning stage.

Can we do anything to leverage off of this and work with Marketing Liverpool? Or are we just an expensive trip which offers nothing special.

Well they could put up a placard saying 'Take A Trip Across to the Isle of Man' at the Pier Head for a start.

What would Liverpool have to gain from such a partnership? I think they'd rather visitors spend the maximum amount of time of their their trip in Liverpool and contributing to the Liverpool economy. On the other hand, if we were amalgamated into the UK and became part of Liverpool, there would definitely be something on the cards. As it stands, we're competition.

I like the idea but as you point out, what do we have to offer any more, particularly to people on a city break? Liverpool has plenty to keep people occupied, we have almost nothing.

• Like 1

I like the idea but as you point out, what do we have to offer any more, particularly to people on a city break? Liverpool has plenty to keep people occupied, we have almost nothing.

Could be right MP

If you count anti social behaviour or robbery as keeping people occupied, then they win hands down.

All we've got is glens, country walks and a lot of quaint tranquil places.

Could be right MP

If you count anti social behaviour or robbery as keeping people occupied, then they win hands down.

So the same as The Lake District then, just an hour's drive up the motorway.

Is this "boom" only happening because of a big bucketful of money handed to the city under the banner of European City of Culture or something like that ?

I visited Liverpool in July, for my first time there as a tourist in years. It was a great experience with excellent, FREE museums, parks and gardens and a cheap, efficient transport system. If only we had a cheap, efficient transport system in place to the Island, we could be in with a chance of sharing a little of that tourist market.

You really are one negative individual.

Are you positive about that ?

BTW, I take it that the answer to my first question was YES then !!!!

Could be right MP

All very nice but nothing that appeals to anyone who likes to be entertained, likes architecture, decent shopping, hotels, living history or a general bit of a buzz or excitement? Which is what most people who visit Liverpool would like.

We have our own robbers and anti social people here. In Liverpool you don't find them in the city centre like you do in Douglas.

• Like 5

Here's the crime data from Liverpool

Look under annual ward crime.

Personally, I like Liverpool as it has shops that we don't have over here.

I suppose it all comes down to how much a place wants to pay on their rates and taxes.

I think we punch above our weight and do well considering there's only 80 odd thousand people that include children and OAP's

Edited by manxy

Could be right MP

All very nice but nothing that appeals to anyone who likes to be entertained, likes architecture, decent shopping, hotels, living history or a general bit of a buzz or excitement? Which is what most people who visit Liverpool would like.

We have our own robbers and anti social people here. In Liverpool you don't find them in the city centre like you do in Douglas.

I'm yet to walk anywhere around this island and feel unsafe. There are countless places in Liverpool I wouldn't dare walk round at night. Two different definitions of 'anti-social.'

• Like 1