Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lxxx

Our closest major city undergoing a tourism boom.

Too many people on the island are living in Dreamland and LaLa Land when it comes to the reality of tourism on the island.

It's finished, other than for a relatively few niche visitors and TT.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Face reality and adjust the obscene amount of money being poured into these things when we have an ever increasing financial crisis.

But we employ a lot of people within government, they have to be seen to be doing something and if that's spending money we don't have so they can keep drawing a salary we can't afford till they draw a pension we have no money for then so be it.
At the end of the 1970s when we had the last big boom in tourists I think the old Tourist Board employed 3 people. Now how many of them do we have arsing about managing an almost 40 year decline in numbers? Managing failure seems to be our speciality. The output is so random also - I was at the airport the other day and saw a really glossy "Manx Farmhouse Holidays" brochure on display in a stand. All it seemed to me was a way of pandering to farmers who have all had massive grants over the last 15 years to convert already expensive real estate into holiday lets by trying create a marketing niche for them. So let's produce a really expensive full colour brochure aiming at a very niche market - people who specifically and exclusively want to go on holiday to a farmhouse (no other type of accommodation is covered in the whole brochure) in the IOM. No doubt a huge amount of research has been conducted specifically into the type of people who will accept no other type of accommodation other than a disused former farmhouse and why the income from that group is so huge that it justifies it's own separate brochure and marketing campaign. Or those who would perhaps faint at the thought of staying in any other type of holiday accommodation that might be available.

Makes me sick.....and if I was fortunate to have had an invite I'd have told Robertshaw as such.

Too many people on the island are living in Dreamland and LaLa Land when it comes to the reality of tourism on the island.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Face reality and adjust the obscene amount of money being poured into these things when we have an ever increasing financial crisis.

I agree to an extent Albert, although I still think that there is hope for bringing more people here between the TT and MGP by encouraging the growth of events which are for special interest groups at particular times of the summer months.

What about a bigger Folk and Blues Festival, Film Festival, Cycle racing, Rugby Festival, International Six Days Enduro, other motorcycle events etc. There are people with the know how to develop these things, with a bit of help and encouragement they can fill the void.

To be fair we lack a venue and decent hotel space, the Summerland site could house a large shell building which could be used for exhibitions, music and sporting events etc. It wouldn't cost a fortune to erect and could be put to use for local events during winter.

That would give us a base to work with. The Villa Marina is far to small to allow growth or to house exhibitions.

I believe that a few fairly inexpensive things could help to kickstart a bit of tourism growth.

• Like 1

I agree to an extent Albert, although I still think that there is hope for bringing more people here between the TT and MGP by encouraging the growth of events which are for special interest groups at particular times of the summer months.

What about a bigger Folk and Blues Festival, Film Festival, Cycle racing, Rugby Festival, International Six Days Enduro, other motorcycle events etc. There are people with the know how to develop these things, with a bit of help and encouragement they can fill the void.

To be fair we lack a venue and decent hotel space, the Summerland site could house a large shell building which could be used for exhibitions, music and sporting events etc. It wouldn't cost a fortune to erect and could be put to use for local events during winter.

That would give us a base to work with. The Villa Marina is far to small to allow growth or to house exhibitions.

I believe that a few fairly inexpensive things could help to kickstart a bit of tourism growth.

I think the only thing we can do is leverage off of the existing to be honest. A Tour De France TT Challenge and the like. We haven't much else to offer that's unique.

If I had a choice between visiting the Isle of Man or London, I'd pick the Isle of Man. There is far more to see and do here and the people and lanscape are more pleasant.

We should charge people to come to the Isle of Man. I think people would pay more to come to such a lovely place. Like that Walt Disney Land or whatever in America. He had the right idea. If you have something good people will pay money to visit it. I did write to tourist board telling them this. That was in 1979 and still nothing. The reason we get less tourists now is we don't charge them to get off the boat. Like that Disney bloke does. He's a millionaire and all so they can't say it didn't work for him. I bet charging £50 to get off the boat would raise loads. Maybe if they put that David Cretney in charge again we'd get more tourists here? Now there's a good Douglas fella. And still with such lovely hair. That's the way to get the tourists here. Proper Manx fellas charging people to get off the boat like that Disney bloke. Wasn't he Jewish that Disney fella? Their nearly as clever as Manx fellas those Jewish fellas. Millionaire lots of them. They don't like the Germans though. Never understood why.

Brilliant. Please keep it up

If I had a choice between visiting the Isle of Man or London, I'd pick the Isle of Man. There is far more to see and do here and the people and lanscape are more pleasant.

We should charge people to come to the Isle of Man. I think people would pay more to come to such a lovely place. Like that Walt Disney Land or whatever in America. He had the right idea. If you have something good people will pay money to visit it. I did write to tourist board telling them this. That was in 1979 and still nothing. The reason we get less tourists now is we don't charge them to get off the boat. Like that Disney bloke does. He's a millionaire and all so they can't say it didn't work for him. I bet charging £50 to get off the boat would raise loads. Maybe if they put that David Cretney in charge again we'd get more tourists here? Now there's a good Douglas fella. And still with such lovely hair. That's the way to get the tourists here. Proper Manx fellas charging people to get off the boat like that Disney bloke. Wasn't he Jewish that Disney fella? Their nearly as clever as Manx fellas those Jewish fellas. Millionaire lots of them. They don't like the Germans though. Never understood why.

Brilliant. Please keep it up

That is possibly the best idea ever. Have you copyrighted it? Not that it matters as agreements aren't really worth anything.