Roundabouts v traffic lights

I understand that they plan to replace the traffic lights at the bottom of Broadway with a roundabout..

Roundabouts are great, but only when the flow of traffic is light, or when the flow of traffic is from each direction is much the same. If you have heavy traffic coming mainly from one direction, as you do in the rush hour, traffic coming from other directions doesn't get a look in,

Of course, traffic lights can be frustrating, especially if there is no traffic coming the other way, or when the green is on for too short a time, Personally, I like the system they have on the Peel Road at Marown, where the lights on the main road stay on green unless there is traffic waiting at the other lights. I think this would work on the Promenade.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While they are at it can they put a roundabout at the bottom of the hill at the Railway Station so hundreds of people don't have to go in round the Tesco roundabout when they want to turn along the qu

Is this one of the expensive roundabouts with some huge heritage sculpture balanced on top with roadway inlaid with rough cut blood diamonds and named in finest unicorn horn ?   or is it a roundabou

Just turn the lights off and have the traffic weave - go in turn from alternate directions. Traffic always gets on fine when lights fail. Queues less than a third of the normal length. And give pedest

Just turn the lights off and have the traffic weave - go in turn from alternate directions. Traffic always gets on fine when lights fail. Queues less than a third of the normal length. And give pedestrians right of way. Surprising how well people respond when you give them responsibility and credit them with intelligence.

• Like 2

If this article can be believed, then this gives some facts

Article quote - You are 2.6 times more likely to collide at a roundabout than at a traffic signal.This is based on 2010 collision rates. A local roundabout will see 1.56 collisions per million entering vehicles; a traffic signal will see 0.61 collisions per million entering vehicles. This finding confirms that local roundabouts are plagued by fender benders.

although

Article quote - You are three times more likely to be injured or killed at a traffic signal than at a roundabout. This is based on injury rates on regional roads. People are hurt or killed in 27.1 per cent of collisions at traffic lights. In roundabouts the injury rate is nine per cent.

30 years ago I was in Zurich and during the day, the traffic lights operated on the red, yellow and green principle we all know and hate. At off peak times, they went to flashing amber and they worked perfectly.....I have since seen this system in many different countries and, it seems to me, that it would work evrerywhere. But would it work in the Isle of Man where not just a few drivers do not understand the principle of giving way (and not just automatically stopping as if it were a halt sign) to traffic from the right but not when it is 200 metres away from the roundabout!!!

30 years ago I was in Zurich and during the day, the traffic lights operated on the red, yellow and green principle we all know and hate. At off peak times, they went to flashing amber and they worked perfectly.....I have since seen this system in many different countries and, it seems to me, that it would work evrerywhere. But would it work in the Isle of Man where not just a few drivers do not understand the principle of giving way (and not just automatically stopping as if it were a halt sign) to traffic from the right but not when it is 200 metres away from the roundabout!!!

I have advocated this on here on several occasions. I think it would work. Just credit people with having something between the ears.

I had a look at the plans in the sea terminal today, they show a roundabout at Broadway (as stated above), a straight exit at Greensills corner (not sure if lights or not) with no road or filter lane in front of the Sefton, and a modified halt sign arrangement at Summerhill. The chap said they planned to do away with all the light-controlled pedestrian crossings and revert them all to plain zebra type.

I really can't decide how these changes are going to affect traffic flow, whether you'd be stuck for ages on a halt sign and why not have a roundabout at Summerhill ? (he seemed to think there was a huge gradient on the road to contend with !) in stead they plan a filter from south direction and 3 lanes in the middle (one for turning in from the north and 2 from down the hill)! - and how the crossings would work where pedestrians could interrupt the traffic flow at any or all the time causing chaos

I think if all the present lights were synchronised to keep the traffic flowing would make more sense.

Horse tram stops (whether inside or outside of the gardens options) would have to coincide with the gaps in the garden walls otherwise you couldn't get on/off both sides of the tram.

I still think they get caught by the same problem of playing with dinky cars in the office and not relating real vehicles to the actual road space and making lanes and junctions too small, they need a few wagons to go and do a dummy run on these things !.

All they seem to be worrying about is whether people want marble paving or tarmac pavements !

Edited by Tempus Fugit

I looked at the plans and I think it is only the second option that includes a roundabout at the bottom of Broadway. The first option appears not to.

The second option though is obviously the one they will go for as the first option despite apparently being the preferred option from the first consultation is not what Gawne wants as if it was why waste money on more plans, a second consultation etc except for the fact that wasting money is what Govt do. When I went down there were at least 4 Govt staff there to explain the plans to the public and this was mid afternoon.

The crucial point though that ensures that they will go for the second option was that it clearly stated it is the more expensive option. I reckon that is the killer argument for going with that option as far as Govt is concerned as it appears that when spending money is concerned Govt take the view the more expensive the better.

There is a feed back form and if I can find I will edit this post later to add. One of the questions is as TF said above about the preferred surface, they give 4 options but no cost comparisons. The latter I would have thought critical as whilst I may marginally favour A over B or B over C, that might only be the case if they were the same cost. If one is twice the cost of the other then I might have a completely different view

Lets hope that any new roundabouts are not built by the people who did the one at the Sea Terminal. There is a distinct drop in level from Loch Promenade direction when entering the roundabout. A visit to Specsavers, or somewhere that sells spirit levels might be in order. If this is the best they can do, I hate to think what the rest of the promenade will look like when, and if, it's ever done!

• Like 1

Lets hope that any new roundabouts are not built by the people who did the one at the Sea Terminal. There is a distinct drop in level from Loch Promenade direction when entering the roundabout. A visit to Specsavers, or somewhere that sells spirit levels might be in order. If this is the best they can do, I hate to think what the rest of the promenade will look like when, and if, it's ever done!

When they do the rest of the prom it will be the same level as the new roundabout? The drop is from the old surface to the new one isn't it?