Roundabouts v traffic lights

Not sure why but people working in Douglas may recall that a few months ago the lights at the Circular Rd/Bucks Road junction were off several times.....for a period of a day or more at a time. The traffic moved through this junction much better when the lights were off. I didnt have to queue each time I went through. Drivers were sensible enough to give way if you were coming along Circular Rd to any traffic going up or down Bucks Road and filtered in appropriately. Stick the lights back on, back to queuing unneccesarily.......

• Like 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While they are at it can they put a roundabout at the bottom of the hill at the Railway Station so hundreds of people don't have to go in round the Tesco roundabout when they want to turn along the qu

Is this one of the expensive roundabouts with some huge heritage sculpture balanced on top with roadway inlaid with rough cut blood diamonds and named in finest unicorn horn ?   or is it a roundabou

Just turn the lights off and have the traffic weave - go in turn from alternate directions. Traffic always gets on fine when lights fail. Queues less than a third of the normal length. And give pedest

it is a bit of a dilema really. i can see how a roundabout might be nice, no electrics to pay for. but giving broadway right of way over the south bound prom would be a real nightmare in the mornings unless there is enough north bound trafic to interupt it? the prom backs up to summerhill every morning and sometimes up to port jack. the best route into douglas is down the mountain.( no use for laxey dwellers or anyone south of ramsey really ) but you get right of way at signpost ( which worked a lot better before the school / lights caused tailbacks to the roundabout stopping the flow ) then right of way at governers bridge, then either along to st ninians where the left turn is go for 3 out of 4 light sequences ( it should be 2 really ) or down victoria road.

the beauty of lights is that you will always get right of way at some point, it is often quicker to use light controlled junctions than to try and avoid them and hope you get a clear road at some point.

what i have seen in the uk are roundabouts with lights on them aswell!!?? how the fuck local drivers would deal with them i don't know but perhaps a roundabout with lights used at peak times would be an option??

the turn right up broadway was stopped because trafic backed up to the rendezvous due to the time the broadway route was open. having to drive to the rendevous from broadway and back again is a better option as it eliminates a phase that halts north bound trafic. and isn't really that much further to go in the grand scheme of things.

i can see a roundabout alone at the bottom of broadway fucking things up at early morning rush hour, just as the school and lights have done at signpost. if we had a proper live trafic management system so the timings could be over ridden manually then lights is the way forward even though they may cost more in running them terms.

The fact that motorists give way to one another for the first few days when traffic signals have failed is commonplace and 'self preservation', however, after these few days most motorists revert to type and go about their own selfish ways. Pedestrians wishing to cross receive very mixed signals from motorists and are very reluctant to cross, this isn't to do with having been programmed to only cross when a green man appears but from the sense of knowing that they can cross relatively safely because a 'controller' has instructed all the motorists to do a certain thing (stop). Imagine being at a 4 or 5 arm junction could you imagine the chaos and anxiety if there were no signals, St. Ninian's during practice week whilst the school was open is one such example!

Although I work with the traffic signals, there are areas where I personally believe signals could be taken away, the area you have stated is not one of them.

Although I work with the traffic signals, there are areas where I personally believe signals could be taken away, the area you have stated is not one of them.

I reckon 90% of them. Everything would work better. It is the mindset that is the problem. Over regulated, over governed, from Tynwald right down to the traffic lights. Totally unnecessary.

I reckon 90% of them. Everything would work better. It is the mindset that is the problem. Over regulated, over governed, from Tynwald right down to the traffic lights. Totally unnecessary.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but judging from the quality of driving on the island I would strongly disagree.

• Like 2

we were in a suburb of Manchester a few months ago that has done the same, including removing raised pavements. The few people I spoke to said traffic flowed better and the peds. felt safer!

In some areas shared spaces (same level, no pavement, strategically placed planters and street furniture) work extremely well but again I reiterate not all places and in fact most places this wouldn't work well at all.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but judging from the quality of driving on the island I would strongly disagree.

Just enforce the rules. 5mph across the junction, be prepared to give way, courtesy rules, zipper/weave with traffic from other directions, pedestrians have right of way over everyone else. Cameras watching the junctions. Big fines and points for anyone not playing the game. Driving standards would improve immediately. People would embrace it because they would get to their destinations quicker with less stops and reduced fuel consumption.

It just takes a different way of thinking from same-stuck-in-the rut old nonsense.

I nearly got caught by the 'disappearing filter arrow' syndrome at Groves Road junction (northbound) the other day, red light on the right turn lane (with no traffic), green filter on the left lane (ahead) which just extinguishes without warning, just saved from 'running a red light' by anticipation from nearly being caught previously

Just enforce the rules. 5mph across the junction, be prepared to give way, courtesy rules, zipper/weave with traffic from other directions, pedestrians have right of way over everyone else. Cameras watching the junctions. Big fines and points for anyone not playing the game. Driving standards would improve immediately. People would embrace it because they would get to their destinations quicker with less stops and reduced fuel consumption.

It just takes a different way of thinking from same-stuck-in-the rut old nonsense.

So rather than some lights controlling people you'd much rather have cameras controlling people, this at great financial expense....you haven't really thought this through have you?

• Like 1

So rather than some lights controlling people you'd much rather have cameras controlling people, this at great financial expense....you haven't really thought this through have you?

The cameras would not be controlling people. They would just be ensuring fair play and taking out those that didn't play the game. A couple of the boys who now play with the traffic lights could monitor the junctions. You'd soon get to grips with the occasional transgressor. Most people would not need policing once they were being treated like adults.

The cameras would not be controlling people. They would just be ensuring fair play and taking out those that didn't play the game. A couple of the boys who now play with the traffic lights could monitor the junctions. You'd soon get to grips with the occasional transgressor. Most people would not need policing once they were being treated like adults.

A nice utopian idea but in reality not ever going to happen.

If people and their behaviours were altruistic them I'd agree, however, that is not the case as life has proven regardless of being treated as adults or otherwise. Everyone has different perceptions of what is acceptable behaviours, granted the general ones the vast majority of people follow and adhere to but the vast majority of the aspects of life we all differ on greatly and there is a massive expanse between different ends of the spectrum.

• Like 1

The fact that motorists give way to one another for the first few days when traffic signals have failed is commonplace and 'self preservation', however, after these few days most motorists revert to type and go about their own selfish ways.

I'm sure I remember Ballacraine traffic lights being out for several weeks without any problems.

The fact that motorists give way to one another for the first few days when traffic signals have failed is commonplace and 'self preservation', however, after these few days most motorists revert to type and go about their own selfish ways.

I'm sure I remember Ballacraine traffic lights being out for several weeks without any problems.

'Without ANY problems'...you sure about that, we're you monitoring it the whole time? There are no pedestrian facilities at this junction either so it is quite a simple junction.