Roundabouts v traffic lights

Matt: I think you are stuck in the way you were trained to think about traffic junction problems. Nobody could accuse Southern Europeans of being considerate drivers but they get on absolutely fine with open junctions. It is just common sense.

As for pedestrians, I already covered that. Give them 100% right of way at junctions all the time and a 5mph speed limit through the junction. Heavy fines for anyone not complying. I don't think you would find a problem. If people were really as uncooperative as you suppose, they would be going through your lights on red in any case.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While they are at it can they put a roundabout at the bottom of the hill at the Railway Station so hundreds of people don't have to go in round the Tesco roundabout when they want to turn along the qu

Is this one of the expensive roundabouts with some huge heritage sculpture balanced on top with roadway inlaid with rough cut blood diamonds and named in finest unicorn horn ?   or is it a roundabou

Just turn the lights off and have the traffic weave - go in turn from alternate directions. Traffic always gets on fine when lights fail. Queues less than a third of the normal length. And give pedest

Matt: I think you are stuck in the way you were trained to think about traffic junction problems. Nobody could accuse Southern Europeans of being considerate drivers but they get on absolutely fine with open junctions. It is just common sense.

As for pedestrians, I already covered that. Give them 100% right of way at junctions all the time and a 5mph speed limit through the junction. Heavy fines for anyone not complying. I don't think you would find a problem. If people were really as uncooperative as you suppose, they would be going through your lights on red in any case.

With reference to your last sentence...you'd be horrified to know the amount if people that actually do that, there's been numerous near misses and it's been on the rise exponentially year on year.

I'm fully aware of various different ways in which countries, even states control traffic and we have an excellent system. If you think it's bad here (which it isn't btw) with regard to traffic then you merely have to hop over to the adjacent island to realise just how good we do have it here, crikey, ten cars in a queue and you think we've got gridlock!😃

Doesn't mean we should rest on our laurels. And while we continue to sit at a red light at 0300 with not another vehicle or pedestrian within half a mile, I will continue to tell you so.

As to your first paragraph about red light jumping, I am sure that is so and I think it strengthens my case for removing them.

Yes. Exactly. The only reason anyone can give you for not going through that light is that it is against the law. Well any law that stands only for itself with no logical reason is bad law and bad law brings the law into disrepute.

The Windsor approach to the Rosemount lights will trigger a change to green after 10pm. with slowing down rather than stopping required.

Presumably a 'Night Sequence' is preprogrammed?

Driver education is the responsibility of the Govt. if as much effort was put into Roundabout manners as using a mobile phone the use would be better already, even an approach speed limit in place to encourage a better flow.

The Windsor approach to the Rosemount lights will trigger a change to green after 10pm. with slowing down rather than stopping required.

Driver education is the responsibility of the Govt. if as much effort was put into Roundabout manners as using a mobile phone the use would be better already, even an approach speed limit in place to encourage a better flow.

There are a few around like this, some of which don't recognise a motorbike (turning right at the end of Athol street late at night is an example) which leaves you the option of sitting there until someone in a car wants to go the same way, jumping a red light, or rolling the bike backward and foreword over the sensor in the hope it will "see" you.

I would be in favour of ditching them altogether and making the junctions self policing. I thought the one in Pulrose was a every man for himself affair until I noticed the Give Way sign is on the opposite side of the road to every other junction - what's that all about

I think Rosemount light go to "on demand" at night and weekends

There are a few around like this, some of which don't recognise a motorbike (turning right at the end of Athol street late at night is an example) which leaves you the option of sitting there until someone in a car wants to go the same way, jumping a red light, or rolling the bike backward and foreword over the sensor in the hope it will "see" you.

I would be in favour of ditching them altogether and making the junctions self policing. I thought the one in Pulrose was a every man for himself affair until I noticed the Give Way sign is on the opposite side of the road to every other junction - what's that all about

I got caught out at the Pully bridge filter lane as the arrows were nearly above my head when stopped at the line and above the sun visors, I had been looking for lights across the road until I squinted upwards :lol:

Permanent flashing amber in off peak times would be a good start with just the programming costs to deal with - although I'm guessing whatever lights our Government purchased probably don't support it!

Suggested this many times here, and to DOT in the past. Closed minds. If UK don't do it, it's not "best practice". Presumably because every bugger who makes decisions here has at some stage had all process of original thought expunged in the UK civil service.

I got caught out at the Pully bridge filter lane as the arrows were nearly above my head when stopped at the line and above the sun visors, I had been looking for lights across the road until I squinted upwards laugh.png

same thing down stoney road ( maybe thorny road? ) the one past the school anyways. no green light over the road now at the end of tromode road so a PIA to see the lights.

quite a few sets of lights respond to headlights, if you flash your headlights on approach they will often be green by the time you get there. ballacraine was good for this before the re phasing a few years back, don't know nowadays?

I always presumed that the point of introducing traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, roundabouts etc was to assist in the flow of traffic etc. However the introduction of lights in Douglas along Peel Road all the way up to the Brown Bobby seems to impede traffic and cause tail backs. The major problem seem to be the lights at the end of Athol Street where the timing is such that they seem to be on green or red for a long time when travelling from Douglas. The Result is that when on red the traffic backs way past Quinnes Corner and you can get stuck as even when the lights are green at Quinnes Corner there is no room to queue across the lights.

Then when they are on Green by Athol street very little is going through cos we are all waiting for the lights to go Green by Quinnes Corner. It is a shambles and not helped by the fact there is a fair amount of traffic coming through the lights at Quionnes Corner at Nort Quay. In that respect if they want traffic coming from the South to go along the South Quay rather vai the roundabout by Tescoe etc, why do they just not prohibit anybody turning right at Quinees Corner. It would sort the problem at a stroke

Lost Login, ''The Result is that when on red the traffic backs way past Quinnes Corner and you can get stuck as even when the lights are green at Quinnes Corner there is no room to queue across the lights.''

....be a lot of clutch wear as well holding the car on the hill !!!