Patchwork Cafe

Katman

Called into the Patchwork Cafe, in Port St. Mary, for lunch today. Arrived just before noon, several tables had 'reserved' signs on them and just two other tables had people sitting at them. We were told we could sit at one of the reserved tables as they didn't expect the diners to arrive until one.

The place looks as if quite a few of the fixtures and fittings have been reclaimed and are a bit mix and (try to) match, but it all works well. On one wall is a long list of local suppliers they use. The menu is on a large blackboard, an extensive breakfast menu, a list of daily specials and another with main courses.

I went for the Mushroom Rarebit and was asked which chutney I wanted with it. I chose the onion. My lunch companion went for the lamb burger and chips. We both ordered coffees.

The coffees arrived in about two minutes and the main meals about ten minutes later. My Mushroom rarebit was a single slice of toast with a mound of mushrooms and the cheese concoction on top. To the side was a decent sized side salad with a light dressing. There was no sign of the onion chutney. It is many, many years since I have eaten any type of Rarebit, Welsh or otherwise and memories are of runny cheese on toast (sorry mum), but this was something different. Firm mushrooms and a thick cheese topping and then the surprise of finding the onion chutney underneath the mushrooms. For me it was the perfect light bite lunch. The salad was the icing on the cake and was also delicious.

My lunch companion really enjoyed his lamb burger and the chips were real.

Cost was just over £20.00 for two main meals and two mugs of coffee.

Well worth a visit. It's a shame I don't get down to Port St. Mary more often. They also do a movie and a meal night, which I understand are popular.

My score a well deserved 9/10.

Edited by Katman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the place and great breakfasts but last time I was there I was rather irked by the 4l of Cravendale on the counter when the advert on the wall clearly states they use local Cooil Bros milk. If they run out fair enough but I cant believe co-op next door had no manx milk in. Sneaky sneaky.

I like the place and great breakfasts but last time I was there I was rather irked by the 4l of Cravendale on the counter when the advert on the wall clearly states they use local Cooil Bros milk. If they run out fair enough but I cant believe co-op next door had no manx milk in. Sneaky sneaky.

......................awaits accusation that Stu Peters is behind this. smile.png

• 2 months later...