Awards For Excellence - John Calshaw

Was just watching this and then found out it was self nominati on. So a load of shut really not voted for by public or customers. Crap

If you like I can pop round with some nice Magnolia emulsion and you can watch that dry instead.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it really a stupid event? A private business, sponsored by other private businesses, are giving out some self-congratulatory, back-slapping awards at a black tie piss up. Those who attend will ge

They've obviously retained the nine-year-old who writes the editorials.

Just like your local after one of your jokes.

Posted Images

Was just watching this and then found out it was self nominati on. So a load of shut really not voted for by public or customers. Crap

Yep, you have to apply. They do ask / encourage some people to apply, I got a letter last year asking me to apply because of something I'd done, couldn't be bothered. But there are multiple applicants per category, so there is competition. Being a small island it is common that you're being judged by people who know something of you anyway, which is a difficulty. Personally I've no particular issue with Award Ceremonies, but I think they need to revamp the categories, preferably towards awards which recognise corporate contribution to society - best employer, greatest contribution to IoM reputation etc.

Edited by craggy_steve

Don't know if anyone watching this arse licking, back slapping, envelope passing fest. Tried to watch on newspapers website, however screen message said, 'for legal reasons, we can't broadcast this part'. Why's that I wonder - sounds like can't for reasons of commercial confidentiality! Makes you laugh

Probably the most ridiculous government contract of the year award.

Edited by Zammo Maguire

I think they need to revamp the categories, preferably towards awards which recognise corporate contribution to society - best employer, greatest contribution to IoM reputation etc.

Then start your own awards. These are awards organised and run by isle of man newspapers, which is a private company, so they get to choose who gets awards and for what.

More awards. Puke.

More people awarding themselves for their self- importance, while downing hundreds of gallons of mostly imported wine and mostly imported food. Did you see last years 'Camera opportunity ' photo of them all waving their little Manx Flags ( provided free) during a Mass ' Evening of Self Congratulation . ' I am sure some genuine people managed to get through the net, for doing genuine good, and to them 'Well Done - YOU deserve an Award '

mostly imported wine?

Yes - it was Chateau De Birkenhead from the left bank of the Mersey (2011 vintage) because all the Mouton Malew Rothschild and Ballamodha Cabernet had gone. Of the local wines, only the Premier Cru Jurby de Jurby was available, hence "mostly imported". Manxie 44 told me this. He knows all about wine.

• Like 1

a company making people redundant hand over fist

really? lets have some facts then. how many in the past six months?

I know three in the last six months. That's quite a chunk considering the number of staff they've shed over the past couple of years. There can't be many left.

Edited by sarahc

I know three in the last six months. That's quite a chunk considering the number of staff they've shed over the past couple of years. There can't be many left.

not really hand over fist is it, and I think one of the three was retirement (possibly not voluntary) rather than redundancy and another was a voluntary redundancy

• Like 1

not really hand over fist is it, and I think one of the three was retirement (possibly not voluntary) rather than redundancy and another was a voluntary redundancy

They've obviously retained the nine-year-old who writes the editorials.

• Like 2