thank god for Amazon

Scrapping free parking at the airport and increasing charges in Douglas car parks - just two ways government is planning to save money.

A raft of controversial measures is being implemented by the Department of Infrastructure in a bid to save £5 million in this financial year.

They're set to hit taxpayers in the pocket - people will now be charged to park on the Douglas Promenade walkway - and free disc parking is being reduced to one hour instead of two.

School children will be charged 50p per journey to travel to and from school and senior citizens will now have to wait until they reach state pension age for a free bus pass.

The majority of the changes do not have to be approved by Tynwald - the department says they are designed to be as fair as possible in "extremely difficult circumstances".

Thankfully all of my christmas shopping has been delivered by Amazon Ebay and Play, no need to visit douglas shops. my children no longer need to use these overcrowded dirty buses, and i have told my relatives to meet me outside the front of the airport so i dont have to park up. after years of no pay rises this government has to realise that they can only squeeze so much blood out of the people living here. maybe these extra charges will enable our politicians (????????) to give themselves a nice payrise, or roll out another big debate about how we can rip off the pensions pot again. the sooner these jokers admit we are broke and ask for help the better. IT WORKED FOR GREECE AND IRELAND.

• Like 7
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scrapping free parking at the airport and increasing charges in Douglas car parks - just two ways government is planning to save money. A raft of controversial measures is being implemented by the De

Actually the IOMs economy is based on VAT hidden under the guise of an international finance centre so local shopping and retail is important as it generates VAT. That aside though, the parking meters

Demise of the high street, empty shops, local agriculture, employment, income tax, blah blah blah. Yawn.

• Like 1

Amazon is great, I get free Prime for 6 months as a student, and it's £30 a year after that, so far it's been a saving grace, letting me order everything from frying pans to extension leads and all with me by the time the morning rolls around.

Admittedly, their speed to the Island isn't as good, but that's a limitation of it being an island and the extra cost and service DPD/RM offer, RM is a best effort next day instead.

It's hard for retail with the Internet, but that's just a cold, hard fact. But some shops still thrive, there's a couple of shops in Ramsey I can think of that do well, one of which I know also sells via the Internet quite a lot too.

Amazon is great, I get free Prime for 6 months as a student, and it's £30 a year after that, so far it's been a saving grace, letting me order everything from frying pans to extension leads and all with me by the time the morning rolls around.

Admittedly, their speed to the Island isn't as good, but that's a limitation of it being an island and the extra cost and service DPD/RM offer, RM is a best effort next day instead.

It's hard for retail with the Internet, but that's just a cold, hard fact. But some shops still thrive, there's a couple of shops in Ramsey I can think of that do well, one of which I know also sells via the Internet quite a lot too.

Yes. But you need to look at the full picture. It isn't just a case of retail not being able to compete with internet. Actually, it can. However, Amazon is also not interested in making a profit for the time being, so nobody who is running a bona fide business to make a living or a return for shareholders can compete with that. Amazon screws suppliers to the floor, it employs cheap labour on zero hours contracts and it trashes every market it enters. Even then. it regularly makes losses on long billions of turnover. It can only do so due to the shareholders who are (they hope) playing the long game for jam tomorrow when the competition has been driven to the wall.

• Like 2

Yes, I was surprised while looking on Amazon for a new coat that it was via an affiliate on the IOM -- and a genuine MANX company. Upon seeing that, I went into the store to see how much they were charging and it was the exact same price as on Amazon. Quite reasonable. Why can't large UK retail chains with their greater economies of scale operate similarly? Why the ridiculous prices? Because they're greedy and their greed will be their downfall.

I couldn't care less about most shops in Strand Street, though, as they're not Manx anyway and the profits go back to the UK. Plus they pay local workers sod all, despite very little tax here. Hiw many Manx shops are in Strand Street? Three?

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Fleeces and walking jackets are for bone heads. Get some Hackett in your life.

Yes, I was surprised while looking on Amazon for a new coat that it was via an affiliate on the IOM -- and a genuine MANX company. Upon seeing that, I went into the store to see how much they were charging and it was the exact same price as on Amazon. Quite reasonable. Why can't large UK retail chains with their greater economies of scale operate similarly? Why the ridiculous prices? Because they're greedy and their greed will be their downfall.

I couldn't care less about most shops in Strand Street, though, as they're not Manx anyway and the profits go back to the UK. Plus they pay local workers sod all, despite very little tax here. Hiw many Manx shops are in Strand Street? Three?

The stationery shop, Charles Alexander, Jacs' stores, Manx Telecom, Sure (?), Intersport and the one next door that sells more fashiony stuff, Esquires, that shop that sells goth bits, The Arts Stores, Garrey Corneil, Freedom Travel (?), the sweet shop, the Lexicon, the Pandora shop, Wilkins, the chocolate fairy cafe, Capones, the shop that sells scarves and bits and bobs, the cobbler, and I'm sure I've missed a few.

And that's just Strand Street. There are a few in Duke St and Castle St too.

• Like 2