Chief Minister says, "Tax Rises are not the Answer"

Hi Oldmanxfella, I don't know where you get the million pounds from, but it is far from accurate. You seem to have forgotten that the Employment Tribunal with the Commissioners consent handed down an Order that my dismissal was unfair in all aspects. The Commissioners paid me damages for a sum which I cannot reveal as the Commissioners required a gagging clause to be included. As the damages fell far short of what I was entitled, and the fact that there is a maximum sum that can be paid as damages within the Employment Tribunal process, then to recover the further damages can only be recovered by High Court action. The reason the case was struck out by the Deemster is set out below.

The relevant extract from the ruling is:-

34. By an Application Notice dated 21 March 2013 (2/23/396), six days after the date for compliance with paragraph 1 of the Order, Gough Law, on behalf of Mr Lewin, applied, retrospectively, for an order pursuant to Rule 7.2(2)(a) for an extension of time until 4pm on 28 March 2013 to comply with paragraph 1 of the Order relating to the Prudential pension. However, the authorities (discussed at paragraph 9ff of the 2012 Judgement) are clear that the effect of non-compliance with an unless order is that the sanction automatically takes effect and the only effective application can, in such circumstances, be an application for relief from sanctions. There was no application for relief from sanctions under Rule 2.59.

88. There was some discussion before me as to whether there had ever been a formal application for relief under Rule 2.59. Plainly there has never been such a formal application. The most that has occurred is that there have been two applications pursuant to Rule 7.2(2)(a) on Mr Lewin's behalf for extensions of time for compliance with the unless orders, on 21 March 2013 (2/23/396) and 4 April 2013 (2/29/741). Ex hypothesi both were after the date for compliance and the only remedy available to Mr Lewin at the time of the applications was relief from sanctions under Rule 2.59

(b) Whether the application for relief has been made promptly

93. An application, albeit a misconceived application, was made 6 days after the date for compliance with the unless orders. No proper application for relief has ever been made. It is not clear why that is so, particularly in circumstances where I drew attention in the 2012 Judgment (paragraph 11) and the May 2013 Ruling (paragraph 15) to the need for such an application to be made where there was non-compliance with an unless order. In the overall scheme of things a delay of 6 days is not significant, but the fact is that, on Mr Lewin's own case, as regards compliance with paragraph 1, Mr Lewin or his Advocates were apparently on notice from 5 March 2013 (see paragraph 9 of Mr Marshall's witness statement dated 21 March 2013) that Prudential had not complied with requests to supply documents and that there was a risk that they would not do so by 15 March 2013 potentially putting Mr Lewin in breach of that part of the Order. Against that backdrop it seems to me that an application should have been made immediately, before 15 March 2013, to extend time.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once again he refuses to cut the costs that need to be cut and get rid of the waste and bloat.   It shouldn't be about potential tax rises and stealth charges...It should be about cutting our cloth

We all seem to be going round in circles on this one.   Time and again this subject has been raised and the same old messages posted.   The situation is simple, and a bit dire, and I do believe ou

Posted Images

Hi Oldmanxfella, I don't know where you get the million pounds from, but it is far from accurate.

I got it from the IOM newspapers article that I provided a hyperlink to above. I did not make it up. The newspaper story is clear that you sought over £1,000,000 in damages, and that it cost the ratepayers £250,000 to defend the action that resulted in the claim being completely thrown out.

Here is the link again if anyone else wants to read it:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/buster-lewin-s-case-against-braddan-commissioners-is-thrown-out-1-6425249

If the newspaper article is wrong I suggest you take it up with Richard Butt.

Edited by oldmanxfella

That's a pity. I was really hoping to hire you as my campaign coordinator.

Maybe instead you could go for someone who when they attempt to rig an election actually wins the bloody thing.

And not one who spends all his time online slagging off the guy who actually got in instead.

It IS NOT possible to accurately determine future commitments. If it was we would not be in this mess, because the actuarial Gods would have predicted the loss of the VAT overpayments and put things right accordingly donkey's years ago!!!

Future pension commitments are not being ignored and a reserve fund was set up to help save for it. Although the balance of the fund only stands at about 7-8% of the total liability, at least it is a start.

What a shocking state of affairs. If that really is the thinking behind fiscal management on the island then things really are heading for a disaster. I genuinely hope that you do not form any part of the fiscal management of this island.

I have no doubt that Chris will get re-elected if he stands again due to the stance he has taken on welfare cuts, putting up council rents, as there are very few electors who reside in Council houses in the constituency, he is very convincing on a one to one basis, and if you look at his base vote, it is going to take an extremely good candidate to oust him.

• Like 1

Where did the name "Buster" come from anyway?

According to Urban Dictionary, possible meanings of "buster" include:

1. Someone who cant hang or is just acting like a little punk bitch.
Man why u scared your acting like a little buster right now.

2. Someone who does not keep it real; a poser; someone who rats out your friends

When busters be disrespecting we gonna cap them fools

3. In terms of California Latin gangs, Sureno or Southern California Latin gang member will call the Norteno or Northern California Latin gang member a buster. This is because Buster means someone that is unwilling to comply with your will. The Norteno have for years shown great resistence toward the Mexican Mafia or the EME. They don't pay their taxes, they show no respect and they feel that they are independent. This is why there is so much animosity between the Surenos and the Nortenos.

Ay homie, he said he's from Fresno, go check that fool to see if he's a buster...
4. Some punk ass dude who is willing to sell either his friend or his crew out for personal gain.
Jimmy is a total buster, he told my girl i didn't care about her and then tried to get with her

5. A guy who thinks he's fly. Also known as a scrub. He's always talking about what he wants but just sits on his broke ass.

A buster is a guy who can't get no love from me: hanging off the passenger's side of his best friend's ride while trying to hollar at me.

Words related to buster:

busters - mark - bitch - scrub - busta - punk - loser - ass - pussy - lame - ghost - chump - hater - ball - norteno - poser - sex - myth - anal - scrap

The Commissioners paid me damages for a sum which I cannot reveal as the Commissioners required a gagging clause to be included. As the damages fell far short of what I was entitled, and the fact that there is a maximum sum that can be paid as damages within the Employment Tribunal process, then to recover the further damages can only be recovered by High Court action.

I can't see the Commissioners stumping out over £30 million that ends up in a nice relaxed and pleasant place in Liechtensein that sits merrily along with two other friends pennies hyperthetically stuck there.

£30 million or so could be just one of those made up figures you think of now and again and doesn't necessarily mean that 'someone' has this type of money laid up in an account there and I couldn't imagine that there's any evidence to say otherwise....Move on, nothing to see here.

Spook - you should be wishing I did form part of the fiscal management of this Island. Having worked in the finance industry or the last 35 years, I am more qualified than most. However, when it comes to actuarial modelling, it can be quite accurate, but in general it is not. It is always skewed in favour of the desired result, especially when it comes to government decisions.

It IS NOT possible to accurately determine future commitments. If it was we would not be in this mess, because the actuarial Gods would have predicted the loss of the VAT overpayments and put things right accordingly donkey's years ago!!!

Future pension commitments are not being ignored and a reserve fund was set up to help save for it. Although the balance of the fund only stands at about 7-8% of the total liability, at least it is a start.

What a shocking state of affairs. If that really is the thinking behind fiscal management on the island then things really are heading for a disaster. I genuinely hope that you do not form any part of the fiscal management of this island.

i once knew an actuary through a "social" friend and i never once saw him "the actuary" sober!!!!!!!!!!

Spook - you should be wishing I did form part of the fiscal management of this Island. Having worked in the finance industry or the last 35 years, I am more qualified than most. However, when it comes to actuarial modelling, it can be quite accurate, but in general it is not. It is always skewed in favour of the desired result, especially when it comes to government decisions.

are ALL actuaries pissheads?