I was reading this article on the BBC's website about the expected winter power shortages in the UK. I was just wondering if anyone knows if we actually sell any power to the UK's national grid using the undersea cable, seeing how we've got Peel sat there not doing a whole lot... Or is it just not cost effective to do so?

The MEA sells electricity to the UK for about one hour every day at peak time. The price at peak time makes it worthwhile operating the older more inefficient machinery. If the price spikes in the UK then I am sure they would consider it.

Its not really the machinery that is the problem, it's the additional cost of the gas

The MEA sells electricity to the UK for about one hour every day at peak time. The price at peak time makes it worthwhile operating the older more inefficient machinery. If the price spikes in the UK then I am sure they would consider it.

Its not really the machinery that is the problem, it's the additional cost of the gas

The old stuff doesn't run on gas.

Probably electric powered.

Probably electric powered.

Ha ha, heavy oil same as supertankers etc.

I was reading this article on the BBC's website about the expected winter power shortages in the UK. I was just wondering if anyone knows if we actually sell any power to the UK's national grid using the undersea cable, seeing how we've got Peel sat there not doing a whole lot... Or is it just not cost effective to do so?

AFAIK, Peel does provide to the UK, as well as acting as a backup for the Island.