Baking potatoes - cooking advice sought

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wrap it in tinfoil, then put it in the microwave for 10 minutes.

Don't use a microwave is a good start. You also don't need tin foil, unless you are cooking them on a fire.   Best way is to prick them a little and get a thin layer of olive oil on them and a bit o

Find the nearest erupting volcano, wrap the spuds in seal blubber, tie with reindeer entrails and lay them to rest on the lava for about 90 mins. No need for foil.

wash potatoes and don't dry (or dampen pre washed spuds)

Stab with sharp knife once

put on baking tray then pour liberal amount of table salt on top of each spud

Put in oven, top shelf on 180 for 1 - 1/2 hours up to 2 hours if large spuds

Butter and coleslaw with a side salad would be my preferred accompaniment

I put them in the microwave for 15 minutes then put them in the oven for 20 minutes and they were perfect. I just had plain potatoes and added tuna (M&S, from sprint water) and mixed it in with Lazy Days garlic puree.

I hope that's local Tuna and not none of that foreign import stuff.

You can get special metal prongs to stick through the potato, which helps heat to get to the centre, and cuts the cooking time.

Don't use a microwave. Spuds come out far too floury and dry.

The required time varies with the size of the potato. Try prodding it with a sharp implement (skewer or roasting fork, say) after an hour.

Add loads of butter and grated cheese when done. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

This. The skewer things are great. You don't see them any more but they really reduce the cooking time. I've had mine for about 30 years!

Wrap it in tinfoil, then put it in the microwave for 10 minutes.

you can't put anything metallic in a microwave laugh.png

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/what-happens-when-you-put-metal-microwave

Like it says in the link, it depends what it is. To say "you can't put anything metal in a microwave" is wrong.

Mine came with metal wire racks to put food and plates on. We use them so we can get more spud in the microwave

Edited by trmpton

Use Maris Piper potatoes. Cover in a thin film of butter and salt. Place in the top of a low to medium oven (130-150C) for 30 minutes, then wazz it up to 200C for another 30 minutes - perfect skin and moist inside.

Best way is just take the raw potatoes and place around the edge of a kettle BBQ while your other stuff is cooking. Turn frequently and the skin will burn easily. However, the taste is amazing. Best skin ever and slightly smoky potato. Brilliant, but I guess you will have to wait until next summer to try.