Is the Isle of Man Government corrupt? (Poll)

Thomas Jefferson

Does the IOM have a corrupt government?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Probably not corrupt as in intentionally failing in their duties for personal gain. More so inept, inactive, shortsighted, incredible. So an 'I don't know'.

Ignoring the serious liabilities particularly over the last 10 years, blindly giving unsustainable salaries/pensions which will bankrupt the govt, and such stupidity as Sefton bailout.

• Like 2

It depends on what the definition of rife is.

I would guesstimate, based on my own experience of it, that at least 20% of all government employees will have at least helped or better positioned one or more of their external 'friends' to some degree or another. That figure is likely much higher.

As for awarding them all an additional £10K to be part of the 'rainbow coalition' that is absolute institutionalised corruption on the part of Bell, as was the failure to properly investigate the MEA farce.

The all too often used phrase 'commercially sensitive' also hides a raft of potential 'favours for favours'...a get out clause for any potential Freedom of Information question if ever there was.

If any political party obtained a majority at the next election, I would hope they would investigate this and the immense inefficiency, ineffectiveness and uneconomic activities of the major decision makers over the past 10 years at least.

• Like 2

My answer would probably be "no", I don't think people in Govt are deliberately corrupt or criminal or venial, and probably do act in what they see as the best interest of the Island. However, the system leads to skewed exercise of power, which was notably described as "institutional corruption".

So that isn't really covered by any of your options.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

Yes, undoubtedly institutionally corrupt; in its democratic deficit, the ministerial system of patronage, the influence of key interest groups, the lack of any meaningful accountability, the lack of real scrutiny, the absence of an independent judiciary or effective media etc. That's not to say that there is fundamental dishonesty or illegality. All the Al Capone's (Well most of them anyway !) have traditionally been outside of Government. What we have is systemic corruption and we need to be honest about it.

• Like 5

The political system appears to lend itself to being institutionally corrupt.

I don't think there's any brown envelopes of cash washing around.

Brown envelopes no, but if you need your patio or driveway doing or use of overseas properties could be another avenue !

• Like 2