Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
floors4u

Restaurant not sharing tips

My daughter has been working occasional shifts for a well known chinese restaurant in the douglas east region , she works as and when required and usually works from 6 until 10 pm ish.

I'm sure she is payed the right amount for her age , but she has never received a penny from tips as yet

I have never worked in this trade so have no personal experience of the goings on in a restaurant , but from a personal point of view I would never tip after a meal knowing the waiting on staff weren't getting their share . I have to say it infuriates me but don't want to go off at the deep end at the risk of overreacting

Thoughts please

Tell her to get a different job.

Is this the Laughing Budda?

Is there a service charge? If so morally she should be getting a percentage. If no service hare put it down to ignorant SOB's who don't realise that tips make up for poor basic wages.

Unless service has been poor we ALWAYS add 10% as a cash in hand to the server.

Tell her to get a different job.

Is this the Laughing Budda?

It's her first job at 17 still in college , and no it's not the laughing budda

Is there a service charge? If so morally she should be getting a percentage. If no service hare put it down to ignorant SOB's who don't realise that tips make up for poor basic wages.

A young lad did that last week and was sacked for not pocketing his tip ! So the story goes

I've seen a few documentaries on this...it's prevalent in London.

Basically it's a method used to effectively pay staff the absolute minimum. Do a search on the practice.

I've seen a few documentaries on this...it's prevalent in London.

Basically it's a method used to effectively pay staff the absolute minimum. Do a search on the practice.

Yes I read something earlier regarding this , some law or other was passed and ignored - i feel like passing a few leaflets outside in the car park informing customers but I don't fancy porridge on a sunday morning

A young lad did that last week and was sacked for not pocketing his tip ! So the story goes

Sacked for not pocketing his tip,why? Did you mean sacked for pocketing his tip?

Sacked for not pocketing his tip,why? Did you mean sacked for pocketing his tip?

Sorry sacked for not informing his boss about his tip

'Ok boss...the till might be £50 down but I'm keeping my £50 tip'?
  • Like 1

I often ask waiting staff if they get the tips, so I can decide whether or not to tip, and how much. I've always been suspicious of when paying on a card and the option to 'add gratuity' comes up, and if tipping I usually just pay the exact amount on the card and leave cash, or better still, give cash to the server.

To the OP - if it was my daughter (and I have one the same age), I'd go and see the restaurant owner/manager and ask him/her to clarify the restaurant's tips policy. If it turns out that they're basically going into the till then I wouldn't have her working there.

• Like 2

Different culture...somehow I don't think there will be any negotiation or decision reached...it's tough enough for any young person finding even part time work at the moment.

Look for something else on the quiet...then move on with 'lesson learned'. There will be 10 youngsters waiting in line for the job.

If the tips are expected to go into a collective kitty then they should be divvied between the front of house staff at the end of shift. There is no way it is acceptable for it to go into the owners till,or their pocket.

What a shitty way to treat staff.

• Like 2

Some good points thanks , but TJ , we don't have a money tree it's just a shame her first work experience had to be sullied by these greedy sods