Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
floors4u

Restaurant not sharing tips

Is this just a part time thing while she's in school? I wish local employers would do more to give our young people work experience opportunities. The government could even have a programme of paying the kids minimum wage to help with local charities. I volunteered with a charity at weekends for a few months once (and no I didn't do it for sociopathic reasons - I've never included it on my CV) which was my first face to face retail type experience. That kind of experience is good not just for retail work but would put them in good stead with any job that involves customer or public interaction.

• Like 1

My daughter has been working occasional shifts for a well known chinese restaurant in the douglas east region , she works as and when required and usually works from 6 until 10 pm ish.

I'm sure she is payed the right amount for her age , but she has never received a penny from tips as yet

I have never worked in this trade so have no personal experience of the goings on in a restaurant , but from a personal point of view I would never tip after a meal knowing the waiting on staff weren't getting their share . I have to say it infuriates me but don't want to go off at the deep end at the risk of overreacting

Thoughts please

Complain to the manager - Hugh Dun Wong.

• Like 2

Is this just a part time thing while she's in school? I wish local employers would do more to give our young people work experience opportunities. The government could even have a programme of paying the kids minimum wage to help with local charities. I volunteered with a charity at weekends for a few months once (and no I didn't do it for sociopathic reasons - I've never included it on my CV) which was my first face to face retail type experience. That kind of experience is good not just for retail work but would put them in good stead with any job that involves customer or public interaction.

Err, there's a severe shortage of government money.
  • Like 1

Some good points thanks , but TJ , we don't have a money tree it's just a shame her first work experience had to be sullied by these greedy sods

That is what annoys me most about these situations. A young persons first impressions of working life and remuneration shouldn't be filled with early disillusionment because of an employers mean spirited and unfair conduct. We want youngsters to be encouraged that working for a living gains them respect for their efforts and fair pay for their labours.

• Like 4

My daughter has been working occasional shifts for a well known chinese restaurant in the douglas east region , she works as and when required and usually works from 6 until 10 pm ish.

I'm sure she is payed the right amount for her age , but she has never received a penny from tips as yet

I have never worked in this trade so have no personal experience of the goings on in a restaurant , but from a personal point of view I would never tip after a meal knowing the waiting on staff weren't getting their share . I have to say it infuriates me but don't want to go off at the deep end at the risk of overreacting

Thoughts please

Complain to the manager - Hugh Dun Wong.

...and if he sacks her, the HR Manager - Wot Wen Wong.
  • Like 1

My first working experience was also not pleasant but it taught me a heck of a lot.

She'll cope and learn while she looks for a more honest employer.

Maybe everyone going to a Chinese in Douglas East should make a point of asking, when time comes to pay, about their tips procedures?

• Like 2

Here's a tip - don't smoke.

...not forgetting the best tip I ever got...."don't fart when you've got dioreeah".

Maybe everyone going to a Chinese in Douglas East should make a point of asking, when time comes to pay, about their tips procedures?

Just name it here. Saves asking at all of them..

Douglas East? Then it's clearly all down to Buster or that loveable rogue off the Great Brain Robbery - Robertshaw.

She only works part time, If I was full time and somebody working a few hours a week got the same tips as me I'd be a little bit peeved, only way around that would be to share the tips given during her working hours, so anything between 6-10pm would be divided by however many people are working at that time, its a lot of effort for what probably would be a few quid at best.

Just name it here. Saves asking at all of them..

Wouldn't that sort of identify the girl ?