Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
floors4u

Restaurant not sharing tips

Douglas East? Then it's clearly all down to Buster or that loveable rogue off the Great Brain Robbery - Robertshaw.

You just can't help yourself can you?

• Like 2

Douglas East? Then it's clearly all down to Buster or that loveable rogue off the Great Brain Robbery - Robertshaw.

You just can't help yourself can you?

Can't you just ban this fool Tatlock for a month? Perhaps he'd get the message then.

• Like 2

Years ago when working in a hotel the tips were divided at the end of the season and shared out evenly between all staff, so it wasn't just front of house that benefited, but those behind the scenes to.

If the waiting on staff just pocketed what was handed to them it would be a bit unfair to the lowly pot washer slaving away in a roasting hot kitchen, or the poor guy who had to go round unblocking toilets etc.

• Like 9

She must try & pluck up the courage to ask her manager what the policy on tip sharing is

As a part-time waitress she is likely to be put on a tax band that makes an assumption that she is receiving tips [tho' she can presumably claim tax back as a student]

If she gets nowhere she should leave & report the restaurant to the tax office

This sort of thing gives the industry a bad reputation which it could do without in difficult times

She must try & pluck up the courage to ask her manager what the policy on tip sharing is

As a part-time waitress she is likely to be put on a tax band that makes an assumption that she is receiving tips [tho' she can presumably claim tax back as a student]

That's right. I was gobsmacked by that as a youngster when I did some bar work across. The bastards at the Inland Revenue sitting on their fat arses wanted not only to tax me on the second job (fair enough), but also on the miserable coppers (at the time) left as tips in an amount that THEY assumed I was getting whether or not I did. Needless to say, that job didn't last long.

• Like 1

Well , i called the restaurant and was openly told by the manager that the tips were used to pay the staff !

I asked what would happen if nobody tipped after a meal and he says the owners would have to pay "out of their own pockets "

Incredible .

• Like 2

Years ago when working in a hotel the tips were divided at the end of the season and shared out evenly between all staff, so it wasn't just front of house that benefited, but those behind the scenes to.

If the waiting on staff just pocketed what was handed to them it would be a bit unfair to the lowly pot washer slaving away in a roasting hot kitchen, or the poor guy who had to go round unblocking toilets etc.

Jim,you're quite right that the tips should be split between all the service staff. I should have made a broader inclusion, in my earlier post, rather than just saying front of house staff.

Well , i called the restaurant and was openly told by the manager that the tips were used to pay the staff !

I asked what would happen if nobody tipped after a meal and he says the owners would have to pay "out of their own pockets "

Incredible .

What sort of employment contract allows terms and conditions like that? w00t.gif

My eldest has worked in the high end of hotel & hospitality in London since leaving uni 7 years ago. Pocketing tips is considered the worst form of treachery. As jim says, they should be divided equally every year between all. I would have no hesitation in challenging Hoo Flung Dung if it was one of my children. Thieving bastard.

• Like 4

Incredible .

What sort of employment contract allows terms and conditions like that? w00t.gif

I'm sure that is illegal

• Like 1

Yep, I've looked it up

UK minimum wage legislation stipulates that: "From 1 October 2009, service charges, tips, gratuities and cover charges can no longer be used to make up national minimum wage pay1. This means that all eligible workers must receive at least national minimum wage in base pay with any tips they receive being paid on top."

& it's reinforced in IOM legislation that tips/gratuities are not considered or permitted to form part of a 'wage'

• Like 8

Incredible .

I'm sure that is illegal

I'll find out tomorrow , she hasn't been given any payslips or any record of NI being payed at all either

Yep, I've looked it up

UK minimum wage legislation stipulates that: "From 1 October 2009, service charges, tips, gratuities and cover charges can no longer be used to make up national minimum wage pay1. This means that all eligible workers must receive at least national minimum wage in base pay with any tips they receive being paid on top."

& it's reinforced in IOM legislation that tips/gratuities are not considered or permitted to form part of a 'wage'

Thanks , i will speak to the owners tomorrow . Not too sure who they are as yet

This disgraceful.

Report the restaurant and don't let your daughter mention them on her CV.

I'm sick of employers underpaying their staff leaving the customers and tax payers to subsidise their businesses.

• Like 6

There was a restaurant that no longer exists in Onchan that used to collect all the tips. The restaurant managers would take their share of the tips, sort out any till shortages then if there was any left share it out between the hard working staff. In that order......scandalous