Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
floors4u

Restaurant not sharing tips

My Daughter works part time (Saturdays) in a local coffee shop, she get her tips paid weekly on top of her wages.

My Daughter works part time (Saturdays) in a local coffee shop, she get her tips paid weekly on top of her wages.

Which is how it should be. Surely, tips should be pooled and divided up pro-rata according to hours worked. Or they should be pocketed by the waiting staff if they do an allocated table system where you have the same person serving you all night. Or any other way as long as it is fair and transparent.

• Like 1

Totally. I know the owner (hence her job) they treat her fair and she gets the legal required breaks etc etc

Oh and I get cracking service on a Saturday when I pop in for a coffee!

One of the best things that could happen here IMO, is for someone in a similar trade to offer the young girl a part time job, pay her at the correct wages for that position and for her also to receive a shared portion of any tips during that shift.

• Like 1

The job has done my daughter the world of good! I worked in a paper shop from 13 to 16, helped me get my first job.

Wrighty, why should they be pooled? If I choose to tip, it is because the person who has looked after me has given me a level of services that I want to thank them for by giving a gratuity. I do not necessarily want to them to have to share with other members of staff some of whom I may not even have seen or even been working that night.

Tipping is something that seems to have become almost the norm/expectation in certain situations and irrelevant of the level of services etc provided. If you repaired my knee privately you would send a bill and expect I paid it. You would not expect that I should add another 10% on top of the price just for doing what you are meant to. Why should a chef, or waiter?

It won't happen but I really would like to go back to the case where the meal or whatever should be charged and priced on the basis that you get a good level of service. If it is has been exceptional then fine give a gratuity but it should not be expected almost as rote. It should though also be compulsory that an establishment publishes prominently its policy on tips so that those paying know what will happen to their money. I know some places operate different systems for whether tips are paid in cash or you add as a gratuity on your bill. Google who should keep tips in restaurants and in is quite interesting what different chains etc do. The biggest problem is simply that most restaurants do not obviously tell diners what their policy is so that diners can make an informed decision

• Like 1

I don't mind if they're pooled or not - probably like you, if I have the same waiter for the whole night looking after my table exclusively then he should get the tip, however most places don't seem to work on an allocated table basis these days and during the course of an evening you'll get several people taking your order, bring your food, clearing the table etc. Shouldn't just be the last one that gets hold of the cash.

Do you tip taxi drivers? I generally do a 'keep the change' sort of thing, and try and make sure it's not too much. I agree with Mr Pink that tips should be for exceptional service, and not just expected as part of the job.

I tend to tip taxi drivers if they have been polite, courteous and driven in a manner which reflects they have a passenger in the car expects a comfortable safe journey. I have been in a fair few in the past who seemed to forget this and seemed intent just getting you there as quick as possible. As a passenger I do not want to be flung around corners, in a car jumping lights or doing nearly 60 heading up from the QB towards St Ninians

I do tip in restaurants, although it is not standard across the board and I don't tend to just tip for the sake of tipping. I don't usually tip in cafes, or going for a coffee and a cake, sorry John's daughter. If though I have been well looked after, had a good meal or the staff have been really good I tend to tip. e.g. I probably would not tend to tip over here if I went to a Chinese restaurant although some in the UK I would do as the standard is at a different level. But if I was out with friends had a good night and had a bit of banter with the staff then I would tip as I think they would have earned.

• Like 1

Wrighty, why should they be pooled? If I choose to tip, it is because the person who has looked after me has given me a level of services that I want to thank them for by giving a gratuity. I do not necessarily want to them to have to share with other members of staff some of whom I may not even have seen or even been working that night.

Tipping is something that seems to have become almost the norm/expectation in certain situations and irrelevant of the level of services etc provided. If you repaired my knee privately you would send a bill and expect I paid it. You would not expect that I should add another 10% on top of the price just for doing what you are meant to. Why should a chef, or waiter?

The way I see it LL, is that you must have been happy with the meal, the service and the way the management expects to find that their staff give their customers a meal to remember and also to enjoy. Each and every part of 'the team' has to deliver. If your plates were dirty, your meal cold, your service lousy, then certainly for me, I wouldn't pay any extra and would complain.

For you to pay a tip means that not only were you satisfied with the meal, but appreciate the staff for making or taking the time to make your meal good.

I look forward to going to places with a good reputation and if this meets to my satisfaction, I don't mind paying for something well done.

Manxy. I don't mind paying for something well done, but if I am a paying customer I have this rather strange notion that it should be standard that what I am paying for should be done well and each part of the team delivered. To get a tip I expect something more than the staff just doing their job well. If I am a paying customer I expect my meal to be well cooked and presented, on a clean plate with decent service. That is what they are paid to do and what I believe I am paying for in the quoted price on the menu.

There seems to be a growing expectation in the hospitality industry that just for going the job you are paid to do adequately you should receive an extra gratuity from the customer.

• Like 1

I'd assumed most places had a troncmaster who handled the tips. I'm obviously wrong though.

Is it my local Chinese, the one recently done for blocking a fire exit?

Well , i called the restaurant and was openly told by the manager that the tips were used to pay the staff !

I asked what would happen if nobody tipped after a meal and he says the owners would have to pay "out of their own pockets "

Incredible .

Plan your next move carefully before they swiftly change this practice and make out you're just trying to cause trouble. If I pay a tip its to be given to the staff on top of their wages, I'll be asking what the tip policy is in more places from now on.

• Like 1

I tip the waiter/waitress...not the restaurant. Though who tips the chef? (heavily bites tongue to avoid Buster joke).

• Like 1