Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
floors4u

Restaurant not sharing tips

I worked as a waiter many moons ago and remember it as hard graft & pretty bloody thankless. I can't help feeling that waiting on is still perceived as a serf- like occupation on the IOM requiring little skill or intelligence.

Compare that to say, France or the better establishments in the UK where it seen as a vocation or step on the career ladder. The more enlightened businesses invest heavily in training & development and it shows.

As for tipping, the waiter/waitress who makes my wife & I feel the most important people in the room automatically gets a personal tip. Likewise the receptionist who greets us by name, organises transport, faxing, etc. gets tipped. The barman who remembers what you drink, brings them to your table, gives you local advice etc.

I'm a tight fisted twat by inclination, but always reward exceptional service.

• Like 1

Personality, skill, attention to detail, knowledge and going that extra mile in a job that is traditionally poorly paid, I consider worthy of an extra payment. How do you like to be treated in a restaurant or hotel?

There is a certain view that you're paying to be a bit part in a soap opera...