Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Zammo Maguire

Summerland Sold

a report has been done in the last 12 months when the stables was going to move......

1 hour ago, quilp said:

I'd bet that the extent of the fragility of that rock-face isn't known. Before actual work started it would need extensive expensive expert assessment. 

But nothing needs to be done.

The cost of any work would, anyhow, be more than the value of the properties at the top. And when you buy a property you get a survey done. Put some netting up and write off the value of the properties at the top.

There is more than enough empty space on the IOM. It's not as if a parcel of land at the smelly end of Douglas promenade especially matters.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pongo said:

But nothing needs to be done.

The cost of any work would, anyhow, be more than the value of the properties at the top. And when you buy a property you get a survey done. Put some netting up and write off the value of the properties at the top.

iomg are about to spend a million plus..........

10 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Build an Eden Project dome there. That would be a great indoor facility, biosphere-ish, and also a nice 'living' memorial to those who lost their lives. 

I agree.  Out of respect for the horrors of that dreadful night (which I saw and vividly remember) it should be turned into a facility that families can enjoy. Apartments would be completely inappropriate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Snaipyr said:

I agree.  Out of respect for the horrors of that dreadful night (which I saw and vividly remember) it should be turned into a facility that families can enjoy. Apartments would be completely inappropriate.

no doubt the island needs a undercover family attraction but in that location? no private investor would touch it....

after 6 months people would just get bored and it would end up a massive drain on taxpayers......

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 8:38 AM, woody2 said:

no doubt the island needs a undercover family attraction but in that location? no private investor would touch it....

after 6 months people would just get bored and it would end up a massive drain on taxpayers......

Depends how it is run, and who runs it. I understand Eden is a good research base, and projects like this could attract investment.

add on to that, it is sort of the right thing to do.

• Like 1

If that rock face is unstable then nothing will happen. Presumably it's similar to the cliffs above Marine Drive. With properties above, who's going to pay for engineering work to the rockface and any potential structural damage to those properties ? Who's going to put a facility on the site with potential massive liability in the event of further rockfall ? I can't see a solution here except to tidy up the site and grass it over. They could also have their memorial too.  

Edited by Shake me up Judy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Depends how it is run, and who runs it. I understand Eden is a good research base, and projects like this could attract investment.

add on to that, it is sort of the right thing to do.

done a fair few events at eden......

without continuous subsidy it wouldn't last.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

If that rock face is unstable then nothing will happen. Presumably it's similar to the cliffs above Marine Drive. With properties above, who's going to pay for engineering work to the rockface and any potential structural damage to those properties ? Who's going to put a facility on the site with potential massive liability in the event of further rockfall ? I can't see a solution here except to tidy up the site and grass it over. They could also have their memorial too.  

the last report is on the iomg website......

On 8/5/2018 at 9:15 AM, thesultanofsheight said:

They won’t put memorial stones in as they want to sell the site and nobody buys a luxury apartment on a site full of monuments to the dead. Any form of remembrance measures will basically de-value the site so I can’t see IOMG doing it when they’re so desperate to shift it they’ll probably end up almost giving it away anyasay. 

I read last year that plans were being drawn up for a memorial walk. Now it's standing stones that are being talked about (we have standing stones in the Kaye Garden) and also a possible museum. 

The site has long been associated with entertainment and it should become a place of entertainment again. Many of those who were in Summerland on the night of the fire had been there before. They returned because they enjoyed it so much. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

the solution is to cover the whole rock face  in about 8 foot of reinforced concrete at great expense.

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

the solution is to cover the whole rock face  in about 8 foot of reinforced concrete at great expense.

Attached to what?

And why? Surely the solution is to establish a cordon and let nature take its course.

There are plenty of other places to build. It's dumb trying to think of what to do with a problem site when the most sensible solution is not to do anything.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, pongo said:

Attached to what?

And why? Surely the solution is to establish a cordon and let nature take its course.

There are plenty of other places to build. It's dumb trying to think of what to do with a problem site when the most sensible solution is not to do anything.

Maybe we should have a sponsored high profile bomb site in every town? I suppose that would be much easier than people who work for government having to do anything a bit difficult to tidy the place up. 

31 minutes ago, Linz said:

Maybe we should have a sponsored high profile bomb site in every town? I suppose that would be much easier than people who work for government having to do anything a bit difficult to tidy the place up. 

only one?