Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lxxx

IOM company showcasing islands for sale

TJ

As I understand it our dear old queen owns (ultimately) all our land. So I don't see why you have a problem.

This island belongs to the Manx people and nobody else.

• Like 3

'Private islands are available from as nearby to the Isle of Man as Ireland, to as far away as Australia.'

At least we got a mention even if we are not for sale-yet.

what is the big deal? it is just land like any other land or property you purchase, just no cunty neighbours to worry about.

Another ' caring ' Manx resident.

The big deal is -- going back in time, the original owner of the land had no right to it beyond some abstract notion of corporate ownership which was made up out of thin air to justify the wholesale theft of land all over the world by the imperial powers, often land populated by indigeneous peoples.

And the handing out off that land to those who were the biggest creeps. We are still seeing the results, and the culture of the creep is well represented on our Island.

The big deal is -- going back in time, the original owner of the land had no right to it beyond some abstract notion of corporate ownership which was made up out of thin air to justify the wholesale theft of land all over the world by the imperial powers, often land populated by indigeneous peoples.

And the handing out off that land to those who were the biggest creeps. We are still seeing the results, and the culture of the creep is well represented on our Island.

TJ

As I understand it our dear old queen owns (ultimately) all our land. So I don't see why you have a problem.

That of course is designed to annoy, and it has, but it fits in well with my views on creeps.

'Private islands are available from as nearby to the Isle of Man as Ireland, to as far away as Australia.'

At least we got a mention even if we are not for sale-yet.

Really, have a word with Bell and Co ( of Min ) about that one.

TJ

You understand it wrong then.

Monkey Boy

Didn't the crown buy the Isle of Man off the Dukes of Athol in 17xx?

I think you could use the word ' took ' instead of buy, which was the case in most land ownership in those days. The Island was just another play thing for the Ruling Classes. Very little has changed, has it ?

• Like 1

Very little has changed, has it ?

Since the 1700's? I would say yes.

"The death rate in most towns remained extremely high. In London, perhaps one in five children died before their second birthday. In certain districts the infant mortality rate reached 75% of all births whenever epidemics struck."

"The growth of cities and towns during the 1700s placed enormous pressures on the availability of cheap housing. With many people coming to towns to find work, slum areas grew quickly. Living conditions in many towns consequently became unimaginable. Many families were forced to live in single rooms in ramshackle tenements or in damp cellars, with no sanitation or fresh air. Drinking water was often contaminated by raw sewage and garbage was left rotting in the street. Problems with the disposal of the dead often added to the stench and decay."

"Due to the growing use of dissection as part of medical training, most doctors in the 1700s had a practical knowledge of the human body. Diagnosing and successfully treating disease, however, was often hit and miss. The connection between uncleanliness and the spread of diseases was not properly understood, and many people continued to die simply as a result of poor hygiene. Many women died in childbirth because of infection. Even having your teeth pulled out could be fatal. Major surgery was particularly dangerous. Dirty surgical instruments caused wounds to be infected, and this caused the death of many patients. Flea and rat infestations were also common, even in wealthy households, and many diseases were spread this way in crowded urban environments."

As someone said to me recently, I could go on...