Imported Cars

monasqueen

For a few weeks now, I have noticed that Marcella's Driving School in Douglas has been using a UK registered car (WF11...)

I thought that there were time restrictions on residents using a "foreign" registered car on our roads?

Shouldn't they be paying Manx car tax to help pay for potholes to be filled?

Perhaps the vehicle is leased from a UK company? If owned by a resident then

"All United Kingdom, Channel Island, Irish or foreign registered motor vehicles brought into the Isle of Man from the United Kingdom, Ireland or any other country must be re-registered on the Island at the earliest opportunity if the owner is already resident on the Island, or as soon as possible after the owner takes up residence on the Island."

http://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/drivers-and-vehicles/vehicle-registration-and-licensing/vehicle-registration/

The number of UK reg vehicles on the island's roads is on the increase because many classes are taxed considerably higher on the island than in the UK. Presumably they return to the UK periodically and are registered at an address where the owner can be contacted. This was bound to happen, especially given that we don't have the opportunity to tax our vehicles for 6 months. It goes back to what I and others have said for years - scrap vehicle licences and put a bit extra on fuel at the pump. That way you pay for exactly what you use - including visiting vehicles using our roads. (Too simple a system for government to adopt of course...)

• Like 2

Presumably they have looked into all this. If it were me, the first question I'd ask of my insurance company. ..would be about using the car for business in an area outside where it was registered and presumably insured.

Which would make sod all difference to the chances of making a claim, but nonetheless could be used as an excuse by the insurance company for not paying out in the event of a claim.

For a few weeks now, I have noticed that Marcella's Driving School in Douglas has been using a UK registered car (WF11...)

I thought that there were time restrictions on residents using a "foreign" registered car on our roads?

Shouldn't they be paying Manx car tax to help pay for potholes to be filled?

Wow, big up the local pitchfork wielding neighbourhood watch massive! No, not really, what a petty, vindictively small minded, snitchy little rant of the type that at a stroke negates anything positive about living on the Isle of Man. A few weeks you say! Heaven forbid..... I say anyone who has learned to drive with this outfit should be dragged out of their cars and kicked to death!

• Like 1

Presumably they have looked into all this. If it were me, the first question I'd ask of my insurance company. ..would be about using the car for business in an area outside where it was registered and presumably insured.

I've brought a few vehicles over from the UK, and had them covered on insurance by Kestrel without issue, whilst on UK plates.

Be careful what you presume. The OP sounds like they were an extra in the Wicker Man.

• Like 1

I used to run my Manx plates for the purposes of "diplomatic immunity" whilst living in the UK. No MOT or bullshit parking tickets to worry about. Would do it again in a heartbeat if I still lived there.

• Like 1