Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Chinahand

Top Gear Xmas special

Pants. Really pants.

Can they really get any more juvenile?

• Like 1

I have to agree - I think TG has had its day. It has been a fantastic programme at times - the Christmas special a few years ago when they were collecting gold, frankincense and myrrh for the baby stig was one of its high-points - but they've done all the jokes, and all the stunts, and all the trips, and all the upsetting foreigners, and it's getting somewhat repetitive.

Always best to quit when you're ahead leaving folk wanting more, rather than drag it out.

@China I think the juvinility (?) will be ramped up a lot in Part 2, if the forward trail at the end of last night is anything to go on.

Apart from that, though, they seem to have made it impossible to believe in the programme's conceit, that all the events 'just happen'. If they had said 'We wondered what would happen if we took some sports cars off road over the Andes' rather than the whole 'Clarkson's weirdly incompetent' thing, and applied this to the other manufactured situations, that might make it a bit easier to watch.

The 928's still got it though. Was my bedroom wall poster car.

The driving round the swamp and the road just ending to mindlessly drive through a forest was so set up and hinted of desparation; as was the antics about Hammond filling up the Mustang.

Fat old blokes acting sad. All highly derivative they've done all so many times before. Yawn

Edited to add - for me the Lotus is still my favourite!

Edited by Chinahand

Can't argue with that (the review, not the Lotus opinion smile.png )

OTOH, in the same vein as Mrs Brown, it's still very popular. Although we won't know just how popular for a couple of days. No bet that Part 2 will get higher ratings.

This Christmas, I rather enjoyed BFQOTY, despite the Mel B bruhaha.

Best bit so far though has been the repeat of Yes Minister ("Party Games") that I came across by chance yesterday.

@Albert Sometimes I'm not sure, are you being serious with that opinion?

Yes...I stopped watching it after it went all celebrity format. The cars are important not the presenters. Same with interviewers...Parkinson knew it...Ross...wanker.

Its a truism that 'it's not about cars anymore', it's a scripted entertainment show.

5th gear seems to be a bit more about the cars, but it sems as if the audience for a motoring magazine show has disappeared. If i want to get hardcore car stuff, then the magazines will provide more detail than any tv show, especially with how they have branched into on-line video.

Totally agree about the move from interview show to talk show. Don't watch Ross since he moved, the ad breaks seem to really break the flow. I like Graham Norton's show, but again it's entertainment rather than gaining an insight into the guests' psyches.

Simon Mayo used to do some great in-depth interviews on his Radio 5 show.

Mustang would be my favourite out of that lot (although that particular mustang seemed a bit of a pig)

Did James really break three ribs?, How or why would he wear a seatbelt if he did?

I was pretty shocked by the violence against their convoy - people could have been really hurt, if not killed. Throwing rocks at cars is pretty close to attempted manslaughter in my books - its unreasonable to assume there couldn't be a serious accident as a consequent of doing it.

I'm sceptical that that the Argentinian police would usually allow a mob like that to congregate: their response seems pretty woeful and probably reflects their sympathies.

But basically the program was just more of the same as in the first episode: they'd run out of ideas and it just felt so contrived - though I agree the scenery was amazingly beautiful.

I don't think they could have picked a more stupid place to go to in all honesty (well, I could think of 2 or 3 other places).

I was looking forward to seeing the Christmas special but I wasn't really holding out too much hope for it. I missed the last 5 minutes as it clashed with Homeland and I was already recording a film.

Did they show the doctored numberplate? I didn't notice anything throughout the rest of the shows.

It's definitely time for a revamp for the show in general though, the format is tired and largely unfunny now.

It's very juvenile, but I still find it entertaining enough to watch (albeit a shadow of itself). I was more interested in seeing the scenery in this one, and I was very surprised at the problems in Ushuaia and the crowds allegedly waiting in Rio Grande. I was down there a few years ago for a few weeks and found it a fabulous place and very friendly.