Slade at the Villa Marina T.T. Week?!

Max Power

Slade were at the height of their popularity 40-45 years ago. The current group has only two of the original line up in it and that doesn't include Noddy.

Maybe a TT week draw for the 50-and-60-somethings, if the risk is being taken privately, good luck to them....remember The Jacksons...?

Slade will cost a hell of a lot less to book than the Jacksons.

The Jacksons basically played two gigs in the UK during 2014, and the gig here was supposed to be a big set-piece show. I imagine the idea was that people would travel to see the Jacksons. For most of the year they've been playing Vegas.

Slade seem to tour town halls and civic theatres up and down the UK. The Villa doesn't seem out of character to those. Also the price point is a third of The Jacksons gig and at least some of the risk seems to be taken by the promoter.

• Like 1

It seems that Villa management feel that Slade, the ageing early 70's pop rockers, minus Noddy Holder is what a TT audience really want to see this year?

This seems to be the latest in a long series of crap and tribute bands which they try to pass off as entertainment. Do they have anyone who knows what they are doing there, or are these decisions made by civil servants or MHK's who are so out of touch with the real world that they don't want to admit it?

The acts themselves are probably desperate for somewhere to play where they are daft enough to pay what they ask!

We'll never know the answer, the information is too sensitive and a threat to our national security I suppose?

It's the Sporting and Dining Club bringing Slade over not a Villa-arranged gig. So Villa will get the rental of the Royal Hall + bar takings with all the commercial risk on the promoter (Sporting and Dining Club).

Perhaps check your facts and make your complaints known to John Wannenburgh of the Club who has obviously booked them. Or buy a ticket. You might even have a good time. Though I doubt it reading your post.

Oh well, apologies to the Villa management this time. I was told that they had booked them and it wouldn't have surprised me as they have no idea and are fumbling in the dark when booking acts.

I still won't be going, I did see Slade in their hey day and would prefer to remember that.

I remember that a promoter brought Saxon, the heavy metal band here a few years ago for the TT and lost his shirt. Then more recently, White Snake were booked in the Villa Gardens. They were giving away tickets to try and avoid embarrassment and refunded those few who had paid. Someone obviously thinks that TT supporters all love heavy metal.

Then we had the London Symphony Orchestra here for the Centenary TT, another flop.

The best act I have ever seen on the island was when Andy Kershaw brought Robert Plant to the Villa for two nights during the TT.

I wish your friend well but I am pessimistic about its viability.

just curious to know which band folks on the site would have liked to have seen instead?

Foo Fighters - but probably not a realistic proposition. Aside from that most of the bands I like are half-dead, or washed-up has-beens, or so obscure as to be unable to sell out even the Gaiety over here.

Let me guess....Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Nazareth, Golden Earring, Jimi Hendrix, Captain Beefheart and...oh, er, the Osmonds? 😃

• Like 1

The government should get out of the way of organising ANY entertainment and let local promoters do their best and, where they can, make their money.

Wasn't there that big event in Jurby last year which looked really good but suffered from competing with government-sponsored events? Hardly fair on the privtate entertprise promoters when IOMG are giving away free tickets to save embarrasment!

Howabout booking bands that have been successful within the last 10 years instead of tribute bands and those living off success in the previous century?

In fact here's a decent idea. Howabout booking these guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_(band)

They were here a couple of years ago at the villa and were very good

just curious to know which band folks on the site would have liked to have seen instead?

Foo Fighters - but probably not a realistic proposition. Aside from that most of the bands I like are half-dead, or washed-up has-beens, or so obscure as to be unable to sell out even the Gaiety over here.

>Foo Fighters...

Doc, if you missed it 1st time around.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04v2dtm/foo-fighters-sonic-highways-8-new-york

TBT.

>Foo Fighters...

Doc, if you missed it 1st time around.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04v2dtm/foo-fighters-sonic-highways-8-new-york

TBT.

3m +1m rider requirements, parish council should be able to afford that, i have the tel no............