Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

I'm not going to get in a pissy fight with you, but that's actually bad advice. Spinrite hasn't been relevant for over 10 years and I'd be seriously concerned about running it on a modern HD with the various changes to modern drive mapping layers since 2004 when it was last updated. I've used it before with mixed results, but I wouldn't let it anywhere near a drive now. It's also a destructive tool, that should only ever be considered as a last resort. Maybe having in the toolbox, but that's like using a JCB to do the weeding.

Steve Gibson is also something of a snake oil salesman and a self proclaimed security expert that only seems to be gifted in marketing himself as one.

Define corrupted, does windows not start anymore or are particular files not accessible?

It's unlikely that a power surge did it, it's also unlikely to be due to any updates etc.

Do the machines boot to windows/are any files accessible? My concern is that they may have been infected with some form of the crypto locker virus, in which case, recovery is going to be ishy at best, though I've had some success in the past with it.

Look for files such as cryptolocker.txt and such in every directory. File recovery software will have some success and you might also be able to use the "Previous Versions" feature on Windows 7.

The computer on xp the back up one, eventually has started after 2 hours of repeatedly going back to the main page of ' do you want to open in safe mode ect', I've just left it running and now everything seems to be accessible.

The other one wouldn't even turn on and I managed to explode the power supply, since then the hard drive has been put into another commuter which is doing the same as the above computer.

I'm going to try ans solutions first, although thanks for the advice.

has anyone suggested just putting the HD in a caddy ?

it then mounts as an external drive assuming the partition table is in-order, if it isnt then utils are available to fix it.

has anyone suggested just putting the HD in a caddy ?

it then mounts as an external drive assuming the partition table is in-order, if it isnt then utils are available to fix it.

If I actually had any idea what you are talking about it sounds like a great idea, unfortunately I'm computer illiterate! Thanks for the reply though.

With the help of others and Ans (who's an absolute star and a gentleman), I've now sorted the problems.

It is sometimes possible to recover data off a defective hard drive by installing it in another PC as a slave and reading the faulty hard drive from the good installation. Then just copy and save the files you can see. I have done this several times and while it doesn't resurrect the drive, you may get some files off it intact. It depends on the state of the faulty drive of course - if it's not spinning up or is clicking, forget it!

I would just take out the hard drive and place it into a hard drive caddy. Ebay there are loads. Hard drive USB caddy, then you can access the hard drive from any computer and get the information you want providing it is readable. No need to worry about booting a computer from it then.

Thanks

Tony

It's threads like this that make MF one of the best sites around. Where eles can you find lots of anonymous posters willing to help an unknown!

• Like 1