You'll never see a poor farmer

Flubbergump

I've said it before.

Follow the New Zealand route. Overnight cease ALL farm subsidies completely.

Let the market decide who shall stand.

The outcry at the time could be heard the other side of the planet. After a short period New Zealand agriculture is doing fine.

• Like 7

This subject was brought up again on Manx Radio's Talking Heads.

Stu Peter's kept on defending the farmers, something about them being generally hardworking decent folk. I agree with him.

But as someone was trying to tell him, it is the owners of the land, not necessarily the farmers who are raking in all this cash. Ask Howard and the other chap/s in the House of Keys who rake it in. I wonder should Tynwald members' land holding be subject to the Members Interests declaration. It would certainly allow us to see just where they are coming from when they impose all these cuts, hidden charges and taxes on John Doe, Joe Bloggs and whoever the Manx equivalent would be.

• Like 4

I have no strong view either way on this - I can see what we're paying for, but I don't really see the point in it - but at the same time I haven't really looked into the details.

No sense whining about it really, the current politicians want to maintain the status quo. Only way farmers will lose their subsidies is if we have politicians that want to remove their subsidies. Get your friends/family etc to vote for ones that do at the next election.

• Like 3

It's our money that is being distributed to farmers around the island.

At least we should know via Freedom of Information who is receiving it.

I agree. It couldn't be called a commercially confidential matter in terms of competition between equals because all farms are different.

• Like 1

People should be absolutely outraged by this. But how do you expect the likes of Quayle, Anderson, Gawne to vote on matters so close to their own hearts and wallets.

ffs everyone and their dog knows the farmers,sorry the landowners run this shambles of an economy.

Worse than the bloody freemasons!

they run that show too along with the law society.

I've said it before.

Follow the New Zealand route. Overnight cease ALL farm subsidies completely.

Let the market decide who shall stand.

The outcry at the time could be heard the other side of the planet. After a short period New Zealand agriculture is doing fine.

why wont this happen? because they always have the politicians in their fucking pockets,and the means of production/distribution,ffs there's one guy lives/lived in foxdale owns half the fucking island the slaughter house and the butchers shops,he'll have half the politicos in his fucking pocket with a few brown envelopes here and there.

• Like 1

This needs to be one of the general election main issues.

Every political hopeful knocking on your door needs to be asked ask where they stand on this subject. Phil Gawne's attempts to justify this huge cash hand out is laughable, and Stu Peter's rather overt backing of it on Manx Radio is starting to make him sound like a clown.

• Like 5