You'll never see a poor farmer

Don't forget that for decades Tynwald was run by farmers for farmers. There are those still in Tynwald seeking to maintain that.

Phil Gawne, Anderson, Howard Quayle for starters. Plenty of Tynwald members with landed family connections.

Election issue no. 1

Gawne isn't a proper farmer.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Phil Gawne, the farmers' friend will tell you, they can't change the huge grants giving to all these landowners because they have to compete with the European subsidies. And of course, we'll all di

If ever there was a list to put on manxleaks then its this one ...I'm pretty sure it would interesting reading ..Is it the case that if you own lots of land then rent it out to tenant farmers - who mo

As a small farmer I can't help but agree with many of the comments on this thread, id be quite delighted to farm without any government support (and the inspections that go with them) id just like one

Posted Images

Don't forget that for decades Tynwald was run by farmers for farmers. There are those still in Tynwald seeking to maintain that.

Phil Gawne, Anderson, Howard Quayle for starters. Plenty of Tynwald members with landed family connections.

Election issue no. 1

Freedom of Information request-who gets the Countryside Care money?

That would be a step forward, a bit like the beneficial owner, KYC type legislation which applies to most other walks of life, but not when we are doling out other peoples money. I have no objection at all to farmers at the "sharp end" receiving public money, in fact would encourage it to help them develop a sustainable business, however when all has an air of cloak and dagger about it how are the public supposed to have confidence in the scheme ? !

• Like 5

I would be happy if farmers paid rates and were rewarded for becoming economically sustainable.

I am sick of hearing farmers whinge about not being paid enough for their product. They need to adapt.

It's not up to the tax payer to support their working practices just because it's what their grandfather did. There are plenty of Manx fRmers who will never change or try to adapt to the market.

Why should we support them with grants when the money could be better spent elsewhere improving the quality of Manx life via education or health care or creating jobs in other sectors.

• Like 4

The amount of farmers that have applied for planning permission for 'workers cottages' = ( modern large bungallow for children ) since the countryside care scheme came into being tells you just how much excess funding they have !

Take a look at the "farmworker's dwelling" on the Orrisdale Rd, KM.....

Does the monstrous green house just outside Ballasalla count as "Workers Cottages" , because it looks to me like a lovely big 4 or 5 bedroom family home.

The amount of farmers that have applied for planning permission for 'workers cottages' = ( modern large bungallow for children ) since the countryside care scheme came into being tells you just how much excess funding they have !

Does the monstrous green house just outside Ballasalla count as "Workers Cottages" , because it looks to me like a lovely big 4 or 5 bedroom family home.

go check with planning and find out, I'd guess yes to farm worker dwelling or cottage on the planning application somewhere, and chances are the kids might not even work on the farm, I knew of one elsewhere that didn't !

go check with planning and find out, I'd guess yes to farm worker dwelling or cottage on the planning application somewhere, and chances are the kids might not even work on the farm, I knew of one elsewhere that didn't !

I can only assume there is nobody who actually checks that a farm workers cottage is occupied by a far worker? How would anybody really know?

Countryside Care Scheme ..............

No idea whether this attracts subsidy or not, the area pictured used to be a wildflower meadow with Hawthorn hedges for at least the last 15yrs to my knowledge. It has now been "tidied up" and fenced off by the farmer ...

post-1249-0-12621500-1460230927_thumb.jpg

post-1249-0-27703000-1460230945_thumb.jpg

Election issue no. 1

Gawne isn't a proper farmer.

That I might not doubt. But he has close family connections with farming.

Pooilvaaish you.

I'm a little surprised that nobody's yet commented on the diatribe now being vollied at Richard Ronan MHK by the farming community for apparently attempting to rationalise or streamline the system of various GRANTS available from DEFA (i.e. still grants, not loans or repayable?)

"Not listening to Us" and "Destroying the Agricultural Industry" are two of the charges, as reported in the local press, including the "Courier" this weekend.

Don't mess with the sacred and sacrosanct, perhaps....?

I'm a little surprised that nobody's yet commented on the diatribe now being vollied at Richard Ronan MHK by the farming community for apparently attempting to rationalise or streamline the system of various GRANTS available from DEFA (i.e. still grants, not loans or repayable?)

"Not listening to Us" and "Destroying the Agricultural Industry" are two of the charges, as reported in the local press, including the "Courier" this weekend.

Don't mess with the sacred and sacrosanct, perhaps....?

What agricultural industry ? It's about time somebody took a stand against the money thrown at "farming". We will never need the fields again, so why throw millions of pounds at farmers to do fuck all but cut a hedge or two .

If you can't make your handed down farm pay, give it up. The taxpayer owes you nothing.

I'm from a farming background, but ffs stop taking the piss.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2

As has been said by most on here, I would be in favour of government subsidies linked to productivity in order to make produce competitive at point of retail. Farmers in the UK struggle to supply the retail chain and make a decent living. I would like to see more premium priced, quality Manx produce sold abroad too.

Those who don't feel that they want to be productive can just sit back and mow the grass and keep their hedges tidy whilst playing at farmers. We pay them for that too.

• Like 1