You'll never see a poor farmer

Flubbergump

Manx farmers produce more food than the island requires. 95% of them have no intention of changing what they do to meet actual market demands.

Defa fuel this idiotic drive which makes people think there is realistic demand for Manx produce. We hear a load of shit about how 5 packets of cheese are sold in Dubai yet huge quantities are exported either as bulk milk or bulk cheese.

Manx meat is exported at a loss.

It's about time we face facts. We pussyfoot around farmers, we continually financially support failing food businesses whether these are farms or processors, yet we allow education, health and the emergency services to face cuts which affect us all.

The £7m thrown at agriculture should be reduced and the money used to benefit Manx society as a whole. Yes the farmers make the countryside look pretty. But in 20 years time we will realise this latest Defa policy is a waste of time. When it's all too late.

You're right - agriculture policy needs a comprehensive review

• Like 3

If ever there was a list to put on manxleaks then its this one ...I'm pretty sure it would interesting reading ..Is it the case that if you own lots of land then rent it out to tenant farmers - who mostly are on a pittance, then you get their rent money plus also subsidies for nothing more than being rich enough to own the land?

Thats got to be a better guaranteed return than any investment scheme anywhere ..

• Like 8

Apparently its "Unfair" to cap the amount that Farmers can receive at £50k a year.

And £160k a year is totally fair.

Remember to have a word with yourself when voting for any MHK who backed that plan in a time of cutbacks for everyone else.

good book about this subject called "Who owns Britain?". i would highly recommend it as it affects us all x

I've said it before.

Follow the New Zealand route. Overnight cease ALL farm subsidies completely.

Let the market decide who shall stand.

The outcry at the time could be heard the other side of the planet. After a short period New Zealand agriculture is doing fine.

good points

If ever there was a list to put on manxleaks then its this one ...I'm pretty sure it would interesting reading ..Is it the case that if you own lots of land then rent it out to tenant farmers - who mostly are on a pittance, then you get their rent money plus also subsidies for nothing more than being rich enough to own the land?

Thats got to be a better guaranteed return than any investment scheme anywhere ..

There is publicly available information on Defa site which shows an interesting figure.

When ccs was being devised it was decided that there would be "reference" years used. Your future subsidies would be based on what you produced in these years. Eg currently farmers are paid a rate based on how many cows they sent to the abattoir in these years.

There were a few people who played this system. So with knowledge of this "reference" period they increase their stock by importing. They then filled their boots in these periods, then once the period was over, they reduced numbers. These figures are seen clearly on Defa import and export figures.

Those guys earning over £100k per year played the game and are winning.

• Like 1

Is it starting to sink in yet?

The isle of man is a dictatorship and the people are powerless to act.

We all know that most of the mhk's have links to land owners.

representitives

There is another scheme if I remember right for companies to receive grants for machinery etc.

We aint talking new companies either, established private companies who receive thousands of pounds from the tax payer.

I always thought banks were where companies went for finance but this is a hand out so best no we should use our authority wisleygo to the bank whatever.gif

if it is then the government needs to clarify that is so. i thought we are governed by consent? which brings up the point of authority. authority is given to the government, by the people. we the public employ our government. therefore only with consent can we be governed. no argument, unless they declare themselves a dictatorship. so authority can only be given. not taken. that's a very important fact. people have the ultimate authority because....and this is key to the absolute truth...... government gets it's authority directly from the highest authority in the land. the people. no argument . we can use our authority wisely. we are all equal. much love to our community x

this is a very good thread and nearly every post is bang on. too many for me to comment and like. "Who owns Britain" is full of interesting figures and historical facts that point to the massive inequity we all see in our lives. now whoevere makes the decisions regarding "farming subsidies, must have gotten their authority from you or someone else. because i can definatley say i do not consent to the unfair distribution of public monies at all. do any of you? let me reiterate, if the government uses any kind of authority, then they must have got it from you. which means you had it first. so why would you give it up in the first place? doesn't make sense to does it? big love to our community all ways x x x

As a pensioner I couldn't believe my eyes on reading the headlines on the front page of the Examiner, the famers will not suffer any cuts, yet the Government took £42.50 Christmas bonus from the pensioners, cutting it in half, that has cured me of buying anything Manx produced, I don' t buy their milk, and from now on anything I see In the supermarket with Manx on it, they can stuff it right up where the sun don't shine.

I can't wait for the General Election, when they come knocking on the door.

• Like 2