You'll never see a poor farmer

Flubbergump

As Phil Gawne, the farmers' friend will tell you, they can't change the huge grants giving to all these landowners because they have to compete with the European subsidies. And of course, we'll all die of starvation if we don't give the boys loads and loads more of our money.

The obscene amounts of money given out in the Countryside Care Scheme need to be an election issue, and the matter brought up at every hustings and every candidate knocking on your door.

• Like 9

A certain well known farmer up north who is always attacking the civil servants and in his view their gold plated pensions, we'll this particular idiot makes most of their money out of tourism gets quite a few quid on top from these gross public handouts. Since when did farming become a charity in my humble opinion at least the majority of frontline civil servants work for the pittance they get paid. This mouthy

twat cuts the grass now and then but that's about it. Parasite.The other thing in their favour is history and the amount of loons we have here is they like keeping it in the family these fuckers don't even have to pay inheritance tax.Money for nothing and if they can't make it work get another job like everyone else has to do.

Edited by CBman
  • Like 3

As a small farmer I can't help but agree with many of the comments on this thread, id be quite delighted to farm without any government support (and the inspections that go with them) id just like one condition please? I would need the import of any food from any country that a,has a single farm payment(or government financial support for farmers) and b, welfare and environmental protection legislation of a lower standard than that of the Isle of man to be banned. Shelves in Tesco would be pretty empty.

Point is the rest of Europe have a countryside care/farming payments of some form, and in "the rest of the world" where in most places they are not subsidised ,in many of these places farming activities are not regulated either. I understand that the Government and thus the Manx public's finances are being squeezed in a way that has not been seen in a generation or more , and so I can see how the agricultural budget is a candidate for review, but to expect to remove all government money from the equation when farmers throughout Europe are subsidised would seem slightly unfair. To remove subsidy throughout the EU would be another matter in my opinion.

• Like 7

I've yet to see anyone offer a reasoned defense of these subsidies. I would sincerely like to hear it.

'Farmers make food, without food we'll die!' Apparently.

But they have specifically decoupled the payments from the production of food so that can't be the reason.

As a pensioner I couldn't believe my eyes on reading the headlines on the front page of the Examiner, the famers will not suffer any cuts, yet the Government took £42.50 Christmas bonus from the pensioners, cutting it in half, that has cured me of buying anything Manx produced, I don' t buy their milk, and from now on anything I see In the supermarket with Manx on it, they can stuff it right up where the sun don't shine.

I can't wait for the General Election, when they come knocking on the door.

Why would you damn everyone who produces on the Island because of a few well heeled parasites sucking on the taxpayer teat? Not all farmers are rich landowners and some are at the end of their tether trying to survive. Think again.

• Like 2

I've yet to see anyone offer a reasoned defense of these subsidies. I would sincerely like to hear it.

But they have specifically decoupled the payments from the production of food so that can't be the reason.
The reason is that so many influential farmers in Tynwald with far too much influence have been fiddling the system for so long that it has become the norm, above scrutiny and reproach.

With luck, the Island,s financial strife may force review of that; but I wouldn't bet on it in the near future.....

The reason is that so many influential farmers in Tynwald with far too much influence have been fiddling the system for so long that it has become the norm, above scrutiny and reproach.

With luck, the Island,s financial strife may force review of that; but I wouldn't bet on it in the near future.....

No. The reason for that is because Europe demanded it if we were to be allowed to continue to export produce.

Sorry, Woolley, I don't see the correlation; We're not part of the EU, at least only arm's length, we export naff-all, volume-wise and if such a condition were imposed from the EU, why isn't the EU contributing to the subsidies rather than expecting the local taxpayers to foot the bill, solely..?

• Like 1

As a small farmer I can't help but agree with many of the comments on this thread, id be quite delighted to farm without any government support (and the inspections that go with them) id just like one condition please? I would need the import of any food from any country that a,has a single farm payment(or government financial support for farmers) and b, welfare and environmental protection legislation of a lower standard than that of the Isle of man to be banned. Shelves in Tesco would be pretty empty.

Point is the rest of Europe have a countryside care/farming payments of some form, and in "the rest of the world" where in most places they are not subsidised ,in many of these places farming activities are not regulated either. I understand that the Government and thus the Manx public's finances are being squeezed in a way that has not been seen in a generation or more , and so I can see how the agricultural budget is a candidate for review, but to expect to remove all government money from the equation when farmers throughout Europe are subsidised would seem slightly unfair. To remove subsidy throughout the EU would be another matter in my opinion.

A very good point indeed, at one time uncooked meat imports were banned from the Isle of Man, no meat containing preservatives was allowed to be sold. Would it be a problem to return to this policy in order to boost farm productivity, create jobs and reduce costs to the taxpayer?

• Like 1