You'll never see a poor farmer

Flubbergump

Farming is a business choice or lifestyle choice nobody fecking forces these people to do it. If my business can't operate without a government handout then I'm in the wrong business it's simple. This isn't about people being rich it's about fairness, let's give handouts to chimney sweeps and plumbers if they can't make their businesses work all being fair.

This has fuck all to do with food production it is about looking after your mates who will no doubt vote for you at the next election or better still throw a few quid your way for an election campaign.

• Like 3

Not all farmers are large landowners.

A nice post, but I have singled out that part I feel particularly relevant to this thread. I think most folk would want to see Government assistance to our farmers for the reasons mentioned.

Anyway, this from front page of Isle of Man Examiner last week, along with the Comment:

post-35260-0-61952000-1420999609_thumb.jpg

[continuation]

post-35260-0-74950800-1420999938_thumb.jpg

What really got me is the multi-millionaire MHK Howard Quayle bleating on Manx Radio Opinion that they have to bring in the 'toilet tax', with phrases on the lines of "we have no choice"," we have to get the money from somewhere"

But oh no, not a feather is plucked from the landowners' golden goose.

Edited by Wann
  • Like 4

Vulgarian asked above what are these subsidies for? I can only reply that in my own I use this money to pay part of my rent. The same as farmers all over Europe get subsidy to help their buisness, it provides a level playing field. The subsidy I got last year was less than I would have got on the dole. Not all farmers are large landowners. In return for these subsidies I have to basically keep my land neat and tidy, and keep good records regarding any medicines or sprays used as well as animal movements ,ear tags etc Im also bound by environmental protection measures as to when and where I can clean ditches out, trim hedges etc...The regulations involved in the countryside care scheme fill a ring binder. As I see it the government provides suitable buisness conditions for quite a few industries here, tourism grants, the first time buyers scheme helps developers indirectly,all these large gold plated govt construction jobs keep builders in work, industry grants help manufacturing too.

The European farming subsidies are flawed in the same way as they are here. They distribute the wealth of the people to a minority of usually already very wealthy landowners.

The Countryside Care scheme is also a flawed system. It presupposes that agricultural land must be maintained as such even if it is not producing anything that there is demand for, or indeed anything at all. It is pointless to maintain an agricultural landscape without agriculture, and to do so at the expense of the taxpayer is not making good use of funds. Nor can you have an agriculture industry when there is little demand for it, to try and maintain one artificially again at our expense is not fair or sustainable.

• Like 4

Farming is a business choice or lifestyle choice nobody forces these people to do it. If my business can't operate without a government handout then I'm in the wrong business it's simple.

Can't argue with this , but perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned in that I would not apply for a handout as I do not want to be obliged to anyone or be a "charity case".

If the recipients of these "grants" are wealthy individuals then, in my view, it speaks volumes about their integrity.

That said I could understand it a little better if the handout was a subsidy linked to food production ( or even forestry ), if it's just to make the land look tidy then one could argue that grants should be available for folk to tidy up their gardens or moats.

• Like 1

The subsidy used to be on a headage basis , the more you produced the more you got paid, it encouraged production which helped the abatoir and the creamery, also suppliers ,contractors and merchants probably had more spent with them than now. But the eu has banned production subsidies as we were creating grain mountains and milk lakes. If agricultural subsidies were removed throughout europe it may in the end be a good thing. The Government probably quite likes the current scheme, its been capped since it started and is not inflation linked.

The Government cant continue giving public money away, to make it worst, the small to medium farmers receive a very small proportion, the more land you have, the more you get.

I know one guy who has recently bought some farms over here, then one morning when he was chewing on his toast, the good lady handed him the post, on opening it there was one cheque for very near the cap. He couldn't believe it, so he rang up St Johns and was put through to thn then Minister. The Minister adviised my friend not to pay the cheque into a bank over here, as he would get taxed on it, until my mate reminded the Minister that he was "a high nett worth individual;" to which the Minister stated that when there were preparing the CCS to ensure high netter worth people wouldnt get taxed on it, they included a small get out clause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

The Government cant continue giving public money away, to make it worst, the small to medium farmers receive a very small proportion, the more land you have, the more you get.

I know one guy who has recently bought some farms over here, then one morning when he was chewing on his toast, the good lady handed him the post, on opening it there was one cheque for very near the cap. He couldn't believe it, so he rang up St Johns and was put through to thn then Minister. The Minister adviised my friend not to pay the cheque into a bank over here, as he would get taxed on it, until my mate reminded the Minister that he was "a high nett worth individual;" to which the Minister stated that when there were preparing the CCS to ensure high netter worth people wouldnt get taxed on it, they included a small get out clause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meet this fella in jurby?

Meet this fella in jurby?

No, but he certainly feels uncomfortable about receiving it, he says when something doesn't sound like common sense, it aint true.

He really cant believe that these excessive payments are being paid out to the likes of himself, when Government is not able to fund an adequate health care system for the people of this Island.

• Like 1

I think personally the farmers should be at least growing and producing for that money, and then all the produce taken to the government and used in the hospitals, schools, etc. and also the vulnerable in society ?

Its pure madness to give away money and get nothing in return, Some of these land owners are on more money than doctors etc who are worth it.

• Like 3

There is a farmers that is Consultants at Nobles, another type own of the UK leading pharmacists, another has been or still connected with one of the UK's leading brand name of soups and so on.

Thats why when it is a grant, the name of the recipient and the amount they receive has to be made public.

There is no valid reason for the list to be made Public, even the NFU have not come out opposing such a step.

Here's a piece from today's Isle of Man Examiner.

It makes interesting reading eg: "Tynwald asking DEFA to review the recommendations had been 'just like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas'."

and also illustrates the difference between a farmer and a landowner, that even our resident townie, Stu Peters, will understand.

post-35260-0-77465200-1421176312_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wann
  • Like 1