You'll never see a poor farmer

Flubbergump

Howard Quayle was fortunate to have inherited land in kirk Michael that turned out to be worth good money but it could have just as easily been worth f**k all and he would have continued to be a poor farmer. But luck was on his side and he has worked bloody hard all his life since, never once resting on his laurels, now he has stopped grafting for himself and is doing his bit in return for the island. he is extremely tight with money, I don't mean careful, I mean really tight every pound is a prisoner and he never wastes money. Howard for Treasury!!!!

• Like 2

Here's a piece from today's Isle of Man Examiner.

It makes interesting reading eg: "Tynwald asking DEFA to review the recommendations had been 'just like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas'."

and also illustrates the difference between a farmer and a landowner, that even our resident townie, Stu Peters, will understand.

attachicon.gif20140113 p08 Farmers CCS subsidy.jpg

In a word, scandalous.

• Like 1

You have to put it this way, if someone had a multi million pound business and turned around and gave it to these moot heads do you think it would be still running in a year ?

• Like 1

Quayle working hard ......at what? A fecking farmer in charge of health is a joke and the sooner a half decent candidate stands against him the better, he is like Robertshaw arrogant and out of touch with the real world.

Indeed. Well said.

Vulgarian asked above what are these subsidies for? I can only reply that in my own I use this money to pay part of my rent. The same as farmers all over Europe get subsidy to help their buisness, it provides a level playing field. The subsidy I got last year was less than I would have got on the dole. Not all farmers are large landowners. In return for these subsidies I have to basically keep my land neat and tidy, and keep good records regarding any medicines or sprays used as well as animal movements ,ear tags etc Im also bound by environmental protection measures as to when and where I can clean ditches out, trim hedges etc...The regulations involved in the countryside care scheme fill a ring binder. As I see it the government provides suitable buisness conditions for quite a few industries here, tourism grants, the first time buyers scheme helps developers indirectly,all these large gold plated govt construction jobs keep builders in work, industry grants help manufacturing too.

These payments of circa 8 million pounds are not subsidies, they are grants.

Fine when subsidies used to be payed per animal that went through the Abattoir, the sole reason for these subsidies was to reduce the price of meat to the public and was also a financial incentive for farmers to produce good quality animals. These payments were fair, as the public were getting value for money.

With these grants, they are not related to the numer animals passing through the abattoir, hence the reason why Manx Farmers will ship them across, as it they would have done so when the subsidy payment system was in place, they would not have received the subsidy, which would be circa £150 per beef animal.

The other detrimental effect on the manx taxpayer now, is that due to the above the number of animals passing through the abattoir has significantly reduced, therefore the cost per animal being processed through the abattoir has substantially increased, as the same costs of overheads etc remained the same.

Due to the fact the farmers now get paid a grant per acre, the less number of animals they keep means less work for them, reduces their costs in purchases, buildings etc, and cultivation of fields, as the grant is not paid on the quality and production from new grass fields to those of 20 years, so this is a further substantial financial cost saving to the farmer as it relates to recultivation, grass seed and fertilizer costs.

Therefore the farmer produces less animals, therefore again there is a further significant reduction in the number of animals passing through the Abattoir.

The Government lease the Abattoir to the Farmers Organization, so to ensure the full cost of the operation of the Abattoir is not passed on to the public by so much a carcase, then the Government have to use more taxpayers monies to subsidize the operation costs of the Abattoir.

The cost to the manx public will increase year on year, even just based on the 2 reasons for shipping lambs and cattle of the Island, as the cost per animal being processed through the abattoir will increase, this being in addition to the gift of 8 million pounds the taxpayers give to land owners, as they don't need to be farmers anymore, in fact they don't need to breed and rear any animals in order to obtain the 8 million pound gift, and regardless of how wealthy they are in the first instance

• Like 2

please read "Who Owns Britain" for an in depth insight into this topic and all related matters. very good book. there have been some great posts in this topic. we are all equally entitled to reap what we may sow on our land. we should be nice about it and efficient x

Howard might be tight on spending money (much of which he has, of course, been given by the island's taxpayers) on others. It seems from his mansion plans that he's not so tight when it comes to spending money on himself.

As for him becoming Treasury Minister, I can't recall - did he get Maths O level?

Enough of these people already. Get proper business people in and end all gifts to landowners.

• Like 7

Howard might be tight on spending money (much of which he has, of course, been given by the island's taxpayers) on others. It seems from his mansion plans that he's not so tight when it comes to spending money on himself.

As for him becoming Treasury Minister, I can't recall - did he get Maths O level?

Enough of these people already. Get proper business people in and end all gifts to landowners.

I am not sure what spending money on himself has got to do with whether you are a good or poor MHK/Minister. I would have thought that if it was their money it is to do with what they want and certainly preferable to spending others money. As for being given much from the island tax payer I am sure he has had plenty of grants, but from what others have said most of his money appears to have come from selling land to a property developer and in respect of holiday cottages my memory from the rules at the time is you had to put a fair bit of money yourself to get the grants.

Maths O level I have no idea about, but academic qualifications are no guarantee you or good or not at a job. I have certainly seen plenty of people with academic qualifications who are poor at their job and those with no qualifications are absolutely brilliant.

With regard to getting "proper businessman" in, and which is the reason I am actually posting, it is highly unlikely any "proper businessman" in unless they are basically retired or can leave the business to run itself. What MHK's get paid is a pittance to what a "proper businessman" would probably earn. Even if they did you would probably still moan as they would probably be fairly rich with land, property and assets so you would moan they are a Tory, cannot understand the position normal folk are in. I write that as somebody who dislikes the Tories and if I went to the UK there would be no way I would ever vote for them. It depends what sort and size of farmer you are but I expect many farmers would describe themselves as businessmen. Farming is a business and if you look at the present make up of the HoK's Quayle is probably nearer to being a businessman than most other MHK's.

Well, spending money on himself is relevant to, for instance, whether he votes for continued handouts to landowners (like him) from an already strapped taxpayer.

As for being a businessman, if the government gave me money for doing next to nothing every year I reckon I could probably make a reasonable stab at that "business", if only I'd been business-savvy and commercial enough to, erm, inherit a load of land like Howard Quayle has.

I'm hardly looking for some boffin straight out of the Tefal adverts - we are talking about O Levels here - indicia of fairly basic intelligence.

• Like 3

Well, spending money on himself is relevant to, for instance, whether he votes for continued handouts to landowners (like him) from an already strapped taxpayer.

As for being a businessman, if the government gave me money for doing next to nothing every year I reckon I could probably make a reasonable stab at that "business", if only I'd been business-savvy and commercial enough to, erm, inherit a load of land like Howard Quayle has.

I'm hardly looking for some boffin straight out of the Tefal adverts - we are talking about O Levels here - indicia of fairly basic intelligence.

Whether or not you like grants you have to accept that HQ has been savy enough to get the various grants, be a reasonable succesful farmer I presume, and not fritter the wealth he obtained from the land that was sold. Many have frittered what wealth they have e.g. Trevor Baines. Also remember he was only elected an MHK last time around so it is not as if he has been in a position to continually vote for handouts.

i wasted sometime tis morning listing the current MHK's and their backgrounds. It is not as if their is a great pool to be picked from. Others will have to amend, correct or complete elements that I have missed. If you look at the Manx Radio 2011 election website the alternative candidates would not really much different, any improvement

Chris Robertshaw – Hotel Manager

Brenda Cannell - Hairdresser

Bill Henderson – Nurse - Employed

John Houghton - Sub post master

David Cretney – Small Shop keeper – Self Employed

Kate Beecroft – Bookkeeper - Employed

Chris Thomas – Lecturer - Employed

John Shimmin – Teacher - Employed

Steve Rodan - Pharmacist

David Anderson – Farmer – Self Employed

Grahem Gregeen - Post Man - Employed

Alfred Cannan – Soldier, Recruitment Agency – Self Employed

Howard Quayle – Farmer/ Self Catering Holiday Cottages – Self Employed

Zac Hall – Pilot - Employed

Peter Karran - Joiner

David Quirk – Plummer - Employed

Tim Crookall – Postman - Employed

Leonard Singer - Pharmacist – Self Employed

Alan Bell - Small Shop keeper – Self Employed

Phil Gawne - Manx Language Officer - Employed

Laurence Skelly – Event Manager

Juan Waterson – Wet behind the ears accountant - Employed

I am not saying or trying to state HQ is brilliant, just pointing out that you are calling for business people and he is possibly as near as you get in the current house yet you then moan about. I get the impression you would moan about any business man on the grounds they were rich, had exploited Govt assistance avaialble to them etc etc

Edited by Lost Login
  • Like 1

My best friend lives in Cregeen's constituency and I've just been speaking to her...she tells me that originally he worked for his father as a painter and decorator and then became a postman. I haven't verified that though.

My best friend lives in Cregeen's constituency and I've just been speaking to her...she tells me that originally he worked for his father as a painter and decorator and then became a postman. I haven't verified that though.

I have updated as found his 2006 press release which states he was a postman

http://iomelections.com/2006/news/press008.html