Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Ronaldsway Airport Beirut.

Anyone I pick up from now on will have to walk outside the charging zone I'm afraid. I reckon many others feel the same so their revenue will be coming from the elderly and the semi-crippled who have no choice.

I might start a piggy back service for the old and semi-crippled and undercut the parking charge.

Go for it. Could become an additional tourist attraction. Ms Reynolds could inaugurate it by taking the first ride.
He'd be off work at least 6 months with a bad back.
  • Like 2

I feel the need for another rant ................

It is not often I find complimentary things to say about the airport management in the Isle of Man, however last evening as I joined the traffic on the warm up laps around the two island racecourse outside of the airport, something struck me. I realised that with utter brilliance the airport team had solved an age old conundrum about how to manage the large volumes of traffic both airside and vehicular traffic bringing customers to the facility. Why no one at other airports has seen this is beyond me, it is utterly brilliant in its simplicity. This integrated solution has two main steps and normal commercial pressures have to be discounted for this to work. Firstly reduce the availability of aircraft and minimise the available number of passengers, this reduces the overall wear and tear on the airport infrastructure as a whole, and makes a significant cost reduction. Phase two involves ensuring passengers who still use the facility have as disagreeable a time as possible when passing through to use what flights do exist. To underpin the minimising of air traffic a hand in hand vehicle traffic policy needs to discourage as many people as possible being able to use the facility with ease, and if it is possible to achieve this with as much officiousness as possible so much the better. The whole policy actually works at its most efficient in bad weather when air travel is difficult and if it is possible to soak your customers through whilst ensuring that they cannot board their onward transport so much the better.

In short any other airports reading this who wish to reduce their customer base and who wish to be entertained by anglo saxon words on customer surveys are advised to follow the Reynolds/Gawne model to the letter.

On a serious note I hope Derek Flint reads this and takes into account the safety issues for pedestrians that the on road race circuit will contribute to !

Thoroughly pissed off when picking up an ill relative who had to stand outside whilst I did the parade lap !

Coffee time !!!!!!!

Why didn't you just use the car park and go inside and wait?

As for safety issues it is a one way road as long as you know to look before stepping off the pavement to make sure there are no vehicles coming there should really be no issues.

Hey Thommo the road outside where the traffic races back to pick up isn't and passengers cross to cars waiting outside ronaldsway aircraft company ! You'll soon be spraying accident lines believe me !

Is this the same as when people were saying there was going to be deaths galore in Onchan because the traffic lights were changed. There will be no serious accidents so long as drivers drive their cars at a normal speed and the pedestrians look befor crossng the road. I really am that simple

Fucking brilliant.

Yes it is!

Heathrow has reported a 10% fall in profts. One comment on the website was that they should increase their parking fees! In the UK, parking is a facility that everyone expects to pay for. Why should the IOM be different?

Wish we could even make a profit let alone a drop. Can't even make a dent in the 2 million savings promised. Increased parking charges are NOT the answer.

Heathrow has reported a 10% fall in profts. One comment on the website was that they should increase their parking fees! In the UK, parking is a facility that everyone expects to pay for. Why should the IOM be different?

Because the DOI have not fulfilled their promise of reducing costs by £2 million as they said they would?

• Like 1

Raising efficiency, economy and effectiveness should always come long before raising costs on your customers, in any business.

• Like 5

Why should the IOM not be different? If we are going to do exactly the same as the UK on everything, what is the point of independence? What is the point of the IOM Government?

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

I just don't want to pay £1.00 for the privilege of driving around the car park for ten minutes when I can take a run around the race track with the others for free. I use the same amount of fuel!

As has already been said, they will soon be signing off a huge expenditure to expand the car park!

We are an island and travelling off the place is an expensive necessity, I tend to be at the airport either dropping off or picking up once or twice a week sometimes. I could end up paying more than the toilet tax for the privilege!

Edited by Max Power

I just don't want to pay £1.00 for the privilege of driving around the car park for ten minutes when I can take a run around the race track with the others for free. I use the same amount of fuel!

As has already been said, they will soon be signing off a huge expenditure to expand the car park!

I just don't want to be one of the sheep meekly doing as I'm told.

• Like 2

I would normally agree G but once again the principles behind this are all wrong, we have expensive but useless management , we have expensive staff (not their fault) that the taxpayers can no longer afford, and every household subsidises the airport to a huge degree whether they use it or not. They should be directed to make savings or increase their customers and keep them happy we are doing government no favours by excusing their lack of any commercial enterprise !

• Like 8

Well, the few recent times I have had to use the airport for picking up and dropping off, once I used the car hire return area, once across the road by the factory (noticed they seem to have re-done the yellow lines there), and once the Staff car park. Sod 'em!

• Like 3

The staff car park works wonders, there are no barriers there.

Make the staff pay. I have to pay to park in Douglas to go to work. Why should the Airport be any different?

• Like 4