Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Ronaldsway Airport Beirut.

I set of to pick up at the arrival time gives ample time for the traveler to disembark collect bags and walk to the front door.

If there not outside waiting I drive past park up on the lay by at the roundabout for a few mins and do another lap.

As for people who still insist on taking all manner of liquids through security then moan about it, really? Where have you been? Get the boat or stay at home.

Yes, but when that layby is full, as it will be from now on probably, what do you do then? Probably sit in Balthane or Rushen Abbey where you have no idea where your passengers are.

This only came in on Thursday 8th January, so I guess we will be able to monitor things very soon!

What's Beirut got to do with anything? Is the airport there notorious for car park charging? I don't get it.

I've been to Beirut airport a few times, and the parking charges are nothing out of the ordinary. Quite a good terminal in fact. Decent duty free & very generous measures in the lounge.

simple solution to the lack of parking space would be to get rid of all those flippin bushes, at least then you might be able to spot a space without having to go in and out all the nooks and crannies to look, also cut back the bushes on the dual carriageway which stop you seeing if there's anything coming on the roundabouts !

• Like 3

What's Beirut got to do with anything? Is the airport there notorious for car park charging? I don't get it.

It's a reference to the threat of 'terrorism' being used to stop cars parking in front of airport terminals!

Nobody cares. They just want your money.

I know but the incompetence is just being underwritten by the public through service charges. They should be focussing on managing costs first. Mark my words the next 'savings' will be another £1m being spent to make the carpark bigger because it now can't accommodate peak time parking, and they will justify this expenditure because it can 'make' more money from the bigger number of slots. Another loss dressed up as a brilliant business idea because we have to be 'commercial'.

Oh how accurate !

• Like 1

I have just been to the airport to collect someone visiting the island.

I tried to park outside the airport about five minutes before the time that the flight was due but was moved on and told that I had to come back when the person was there.

I went to drive into the car park to find that there is no free time, the charge is £1.00 from 0 to 1 hour. Of course the car park is full and nowhere to park available due to those waiting to collect? Still charged £1.00 to drive in and out though!

Is this one of those things they call the law of unintended consequences or just one of our usual civil service cock ups? What happens when it gets really busy and people want to park up to catch a flight and they can't get parked because of those sitting waiting to pick up passengers?

Fuckwits!

I tried to park outside the airport about five minutes before the time that the flight was due but was moved on and told that I had to come back when the person was there.

I went to drive into the car park to find that there is no free time, the charge is £1.00 from 0 to 1 hour. Of course the car park is full and nowhere to park available due to those waiting to collect? Still charged £1.00 to drive in and out though!

Is this one of those things they call the law of unintended consequences or just one of our usual civil service cock ups? What happens when it gets really busy and people want to park up to catch a flight and they can't get parked because of those sitting waiting to pick up passengers?

Fuckwits!

I'd ask for your £1 back. It's for parking & as you didn't park you shouldn't be charged. Even better I'd press the assistance button at the gate on the way out & make them come & let you out without paying.

• Like 5

Last time I was down at the Airport the carpark towards the Freeport (turn left at the roundabout) was closed off so I assume its been reopened since they started charging for the first half hour?

Fuckwits!

Fuckwits!

I'd ask for your £1 back. It's for parking & as you didn't park you shouldn't be charged. Even better I'd press the assistance button at the gate on the way out & make them come & let you out without paying.

Have they actually fixed the assitance buttons then?, last time I looked they were all broken, just like the pay machines that rarely accept credit cards.

The management at the airport from my personal experience have absolutely zero concept of anything to do with customer service or people skills

• Like 5

I must admit I've had trouble with both the card machine & call buttons before. Eventually had to ring them up & they sent a guy round in a £20K plus gas guzzling 4x4 to let us out. To be fair though he did let us off with a weeks parking charge.

Nobody cares. They just want your money.

I know but the incompetence is just being underwritten by the public through service charges. They should be focussing on managing costs first. Mark my words the next 'savings' will be another £1m being spent to make the carpark bigger because it now can't accommodate peak time parking, and they will justify this expenditure because it can 'make' more money from the bigger number of slots. Another loss dressed up as a brilliant business idea because we have to be 'commercial'.

Oh how accurate !

Spending money is all they can do and that is the main problem across government as they've done nothing but spend money like water for so long they don't know what normal economic conditions are. When everyone else says there is no money for this or that they don't really believe it, and for most civil servants all these new charges are thought of as 'savings' so if they spent £1m making the airport car park bigger many would genuinely believe that this would allow them to make even more 'savings' as they now have more spaces to book savings against.

• Like 3

I seem to recall we blew some ridiculous sum I believe it was a million on the car park to the left off the island, which was so empty that staff were instructed to park in there to give the illusion of money well spent !

I agree with Boredom, we have no one who has any idea how to run a commercial operation where making the business viable in straitened times is a talent. We have wastrels and dreamers and the public purse has to pick up the tab for their largesse. How much longer will it be until someone in the keys starts asking the difficult questions of those in charge whose achievements are exactly zip !

• Like 2

If I couldn't park I sure as hell wouldn't pay to get out. I'd sit there at the barrier and ring the airport and tell them. Up to them to sort it.

• Like 2