Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Ronaldsway Airport Beirut.

The reasoning behind the not letting people wait is because when EasyJet is in the situation in the front of the terminal is very busy if people are waiting around. However this is max 2 times every day for a very short period of time. When waiting outside these times for the smaller FlyBe and Citywing flights, there's no massive queue.

The security guys are just doing what they are told to do, even if it's wrong.

It's been happening for years, it'll continue to happen as there's no recourse to go back to airport, and it's not a nice experience at all. But people need to fly, so they'll put up with it.

There is something inherently corrupt in regulations being introduced and enforced purely to force people into the car park to pay into the funds of the body which is introducing those regulations. There is no restriction to parking on the main road from Ballasalla down to the first roundabout. Why don't people park along there, especially where it is really wide? If it happens watch the double yellow lines get painted. Totally inappropriate use of state power = Corruption.

What a lot of fuss because folk cant be bothered/don't want to park in the car park and pay £1. There are pretty much always spaces available.

1) Park in car park and pay £1

2) Go and meet whoever you are picking up at airport and take to car park.

3)Drive away

Lot of fuss about nothing!

• Like 2

You get them to ring as they exit the baggage hall and they step forward to the central reservation as they see your car approach, having been under cover until then.

So that'll be around 80 odd people from an Easyjet arrival waiting in the area between the two sets of sliding doors (ironically where the car park 'vending' machines are placed) clogging up the area for those who need to enter the airport to depart. If the central reservation area was under cover then it might work but until then chaos will reign.

There have been signs up about not leaving the car and the £60 fixed penalty for many years. You can check arrivals with an app, rather than exiting your car and going into the terminal. I don't object to paying £1.00 to wait. You get them to ring as they exit the baggage hall and they step forward to the central reservation as they see your car approach, having been under cover until then.

I don't think anyone is objecting to having to pay £1 to park, they're objecting to the fact that you can drive into the car park, find 0 spaces, try to drive back out, and have to pay £1 for the pleasure.

I took a spare helmet and my bike last time I picked someone up (they only had a rucksack). Stopped in the pick up area, security bloke said "We've got several flights landing at the same time due to a cockup, could you park in the car park please?" I said "Love to, bike isn't heavy enough to operate the gate though". He said I could just drive up the walkway into the car park, and back out again after. Free parking for me!

• Like 1

There is something inherently corrupt in regulations being introduced and enforced purely to force people into the car park to pay into the funds of the body which is introducing those regulations. There is no restriction to parking on the main road from Ballasalla down to the first roundabout. Why don't people park along there, especially where it is really wide? If it happens watch the double yellow lines get painted. Totally inappropriate use of state power = Corruption.

You may be right about the "double yellows" but "they" haven't painted double yellows down King Edward Rd (other than outside the two properties on the seaward side) which now appears to be the car park for the Skandia Building .

The guy said to me you are only allowed to stop if your passengers are at the kerbside waiting to get in, going to be great when its pissing down and people have to stand at the kerb. For goodness sake the place is on its arse as it is why make it any more inconvenient for everyone to use, how much do we pay these clowns to manage this failing public transport facility !

I was told that I was lucky to avoid an instant £60 ticket when I stopped outside and poked my head in the door to see if the plane had landed that I was picking up for. I must have been away from my car for 30 seconds and the strip was empty bar one other car. Bearing in mind it was blowing a hoolie and was raining, I wasn't expecting my passenger to be stood outside waiting. I did a couple of laps in and out of the airport while I waited for them to emerge, although when I told the guy I was just going to do that because I had no change for the car park he told me he'd issue me a ticket for "obstruction" if I did. I made sure I gave him a thumbs up each time I passed him.

Are there any signs about the ticket? I didn't check, I couldn't see for the red mist.

You were in no danger at all. The buggers won't go out in that weather. I bet he told you that in the warm indoors.

I don't know what others feel, but the difference in living here on the Island is that we didn't do 'that sort of thing'. It seems that now we do - an we're much the poorer for it. This disappoints and infuriates me. I am becoming heartily sick of Government and the direction they seem to be heading.

Nail on the head there......

• Like 4

There is no restriction to parking on the main road from Ballasalla down to the first roundabout. Why don't people park along there, especially where it is really wide? If it happens watch the double yellow lines get painted. Totally inappropriate use of state power = Corruption.

If you look there is clear way sign along there, so you can't park and there is no need for double yellows.

The easiest place to park is off the Castletown side roundabout - where the strix building is. Loads of parking space there

Ostrich , head sand, unfit for purpose, spring to mind along with a large number of other adjectives which I couldn't type !

I know the woman has a brass neck,but I didn't know it was that long.

Er, doesn't every airport do this?

This is exactly the point. There is only one airport and it's never happened before. You are talking about airports in other nations. We don't care what they do. We prefer the way things have always been done in the Isle of Man. We aren't too keen on "improving" our provisions to match UK "best practice" even if we have imported a load of UK "best practitioners" at great cost to do it. Annoys me so much. Good thing I'm not Manx. I am sure I would explode with apoplexy.

• Like 7

Er, doesn't every airport do this?

This is exactly the point. There is only one airport and it's never happened before. You are talking about airports in other nations. We don't care what they do. We prefer the way things have always been done in the Isle of Man. We aren't too keen on "improving" our provisions to match UK "best practice" even if we have imported a load of UK "best practitioners" at great cost to do it. Annoys me so much. Good thing I'm not Manx. I am sure I would explode with apoplexy.

Ha ha ha ha - I like to start the day with a good laugh ! New radar anyone ? Nice one going cheap - never used ....

Edited by JustAMinute
  • Like 2

There is not much point in comparing ourselves to most other airports as they have different circumstances. The £1 in itself is not too bad in comparison, but it is unnecessary and probably not going to raise revenue overall when the other factors are taken in to account.

It has always been a pleasant introduction to visitors who arrive to see that there is short term parking beside the airport and that the person collecting them has not had to incur parking charges in order to do so.

Have they analysed the impact on the shops in the airport?

I had previously arrived early to collect passengers from the airport parked in the car park and had a coffee while waiting. I will simply save any money spent on the coffee now.

• Like 1