Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Ronaldsway Airport Beirut.

I feel the need for another rant ................

It is not often I find complimentary things to say about the airport management in the Isle of Man, however last evening as I joined the traffic on the warm up laps around the two island racecourse outside of the airport, something struck me. I realised that with utter brilliance the airport team had solved an age old conundrum about how to manage the large volumes of traffic both airside and vehicular traffic bringing customers to the facility. Why no one at other airports has seen this is beyond me, it is utterly brilliant in its simplicity. This integrated solution has two main steps and normal commercial pressures have to be discounted for this to work. Firstly reduce the availability of aircraft and minimise the available number of passengers, this reduces the overall wear and tear on the airport infrastructure as a whole, and makes a significant cost reduction. Phase two involves ensuring passengers who still use the facility have as disagreeable a time as possible when passing through to use what flights do exist. To underpin the minimising of air traffic a hand in hand vehicle traffic policy needs to discourage as many people as possible being able to use the facility with ease, and if it is possible to achieve this with as much officiousness as possible so much the better. The whole policy actually works at its most efficient in bad weather when air travel is difficult and if it is possible to soak your customers through whilst ensuring that they cannot board their onward transport so much the better.

In short any other airports reading this who wish to reduce their customer base and who wish to be entertained by anglo saxon words on customer surveys are advised to follow the Reynolds/Gawne model to the letter.

On a serious note I hope Derek Flint reads this and takes into account the safety issues for pedestrians that the on road race circuit will contribute to !

Thoroughly pissed off when picking up an ill relative who had to stand outside whilst I did the parade lap !

Coffee time !!!!!!!

Why didn't you just use the car park and go inside and wait?

As for safety issues it is a one way road as long as you know to look before stepping off the pavement to make sure there are no vehicles coming there should really be no issues.

Hey Thommo the road outside where the traffic races back to pick up isn't and passengers cross to cars waiting outside ronaldsway aircraft company ! You'll soon be spraying accident lines believe me !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1

It is not often I find complimentary things to say about the airport management in the Isle of Man, however last evening as I joined the traffic on the warm up laps around the two island racecourse outside of the airport, something struck me. I realised that with utter brilliance the airport team had solved an age old conundrum about how to manage the large volumes of traffic both airside and vehicular traffic bringing customers to the facility. Why no one at other airports has seen this is beyond me, it is utterly brilliant in its simplicity. This integrated solution has two main steps and normal commercial pressures have to be discounted for this to work. Firstly reduce the availability of aircraft and minimise the available number of passengers, this reduces the overall wear and tear on the airport infrastructure as a whole, and makes a significant cost reduction. Phase two involves ensuring passengers who still use the facility have as disagreeable a time as possible when passing through to use what flights do exist. To underpin the minimising of air traffic a hand in hand vehicle traffic policy needs to discourage as many people as possible being able to use the facility with ease, and if it is possible to achieve this with as much officiousness as possible so much the better. The whole policy actually works at its most efficient in bad weather when air travel is difficult and if it is possible to soak your customers through whilst ensuring that they cannot board their onward transport so much the better.

In short any other airports reading this who wish to reduce their customer base and who wish to be entertained by anglo saxon words on customer surveys are advised to follow the Reynolds/Gawne model to the letter.

On a serious note I hope Derek Flint reads this and takes into account the safety issues for pedestrians that the on road race circuit will contribute to !

Thoroughly pissed off when picking up an ill relative who had to stand outside whilst I did the parade lap !

Coffee time !!!!!!!

As for safety issues it is a one way road as long as you know to look before stepping off the pavement to make sure there are no vehicles coming there should really be no issues.

Hey Thommo the road outside where the traffic races back to pick up isn't and passengers cross to cars waiting outside ronaldsway aircraft company ! You'll soon be spraying accident lines believe me !

Is this the same as when people were saying there was going to be deaths galore in Onchan because the traffic lights were changed. There will be no serious accidents so long as drivers drive their cars at a normal speed and the pedestrians look befor crossng the road. It really is that simple

Coffee time !!!!!!!

Is this the same as when people were saying there was going to be deaths galore in Onchan because the traffic lights were changed. There will be no serious accidents so long as drivers drive their cars at a normal speed and the pedestrians look befor crossng the road. It really is that simple

Fucking brilliant.

This presupposes that the traffic lights are set correctly and logically. We've been lucky up to now. There have been crashes but nobody's died there yet. Lots of people avoid them.

• Like 3

Yes I have seen three, only broken back lights when there has been sudden breaking but it unfortunately only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Three cars are the maximum that get through coming up Royal Avenue and that leads to much frustration and amber gambling, of course they should not but they do. Coming down past the Coop some people are so over cautious that the following cars are going through on red even though they have passed the lights on green. It is the drivers as much as the lights that is causing the problem but they are just too quick.

• Like 2

I've never seen any problems at the Onchan traffic lights. Mainly because it's so scary, that I drive through with my eyes shut.

When I collected a relative from the airport last week I noticed a policeman (in a rather ugly fluorescent yellow beanie hat) standing on the right hand side of the drop-off lane, just waiting to pounce on any driver cheeky enough to deem to stop for more than a few seconds. This island used to be a unique refuge from such parochial small minded bureaucracy and offered more freedoms than the UK.

PC Plod might move people along but all they do is circle round. Once moved on, how many people actually decide to go into the car park? How many drivers does he have to encourage into the car park, paying £1, in order to cover his salary and pension? What a soul destroying job he has. How utterly pathetic.

Edited by Karellen
  • Like 5

Precisely why this thread should reflect the reasons why this has occurred its not about the £1.00, it is about how the airport deals with its customers and taxpayers. Having established that it does not give a crap about the paying customer, otherwise initiatives would be in place to make the place more attractive and easier to use, we now use the airport parking attendants to make us drive through the car park to pay our pound to support the failed edifice.

I am going to meet a flight soon, there will be about 15 passengers so maybe a max of 15 cars, bet they will still make them all get soaked standing at the kerb before we are allowed to stop !

If this were a private enterprise which was struggling, management would be accused of commercial suicide ! if they want more cash then attract more customers perhaps even the 1.75 million ! lunacy !!

• Like 6

I've been to the airport twice this week...one early morning and once today...no sign of the parking Stasi...seemed like it was before at the drop off before all this crap started. Think Gawne or someone has probably told them to calm it down.

Unless they're busy plotting moving barriers etc.

Can't believe the level of venom between the airport taxi drivers and Anne Reynoldsway either. Big bun fight coming up there...if she hasn't already eaten the buns that is.

When I collected a relative from the airport last week I noticed a policeman (in a rather ugly fluorescent yellow beanie hat) standing on the right hand side of the drop-off lane, just waiting to pounce on any driver cheeky enough to deem to stop for more than a few seconds. This island used to be a unique refuge from such parochial small minded bureaucracy and offered more freedoms than the UK.

PC Plod might move people along but all they do is circle round. Once moved on, how many people actually decide to go into the car park? How many drivers does he have to encourage into the car park, paying £1, in order to cover his salary and pension? What a soul destroying job he has. How utterly pathetic.

And so it should stay - despite the best efforts of the idiots in charge. They make me puke ....

Yes it's only a pound , but the above comment highlights what I think is really going wrong around here. I might be petty, but I really would go to a lot of effort to avoid paying it just to show how pathetic their attempts at savings ( duh ... ) are !

• Like 6

Anyone I pick up from now on will have to walk outside the charging zone I'm afraid. I reckon many others feel the same so their revenue will be coming from the elderly and the semi-crippled who have no choice.

• Like 2

Anyone I pick up from now on will have to walk outside the charging zone I'm afraid. I reckon many others feel the same so their revenue will be coming from the elderly and the semi-crippled who have no choice.

I might start a piggy back service for the old and semi-crippled and undercut the parking charge.

• Like 2

I might start a piggy back service for the old and semi-crippled and undercut the parking charge.

Go for it. Could become an additional tourist attraction. Ms Reynolds could inaugurate it by taking the first ride.