I want to talk to you about your computer?

I have recently been having a problem with some websites, including MF, being slow to load and my internet connection going down regularly. Some sites will not load at all!

This coincides with a stream of calls from people from the sub continent wanting to discuss my computer amongst other things. Now not being a full blown IT person, it set me wondering if they have the ability to mess with your broadband or computer and then ask for cash to 'repair' it?

I am always quite polite and decline to speak to them as they always seem to struggle when you start asking them questions!

Anyone else had a similar issue?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't it better to say "Just hang on a bit, I'll just get him" and then leave the phone on the table while they wait for someone to get back on the line. Even if they hang up, if you haven't the line

What is wrong with you all? Don't bandy words with them or attempt to be polite. Just inform them you know that they are thieving scumbags and tell them to fuck off. They are trying to rob you for God

Don´t talk to them . They are phishing and are out for your money.   If you let them access your computer they will encrypt and lock your data etc. Then you have to pay a ransom to get them to open

Posted Images

I have recently been having a problem with some websites, including MF, being slow to load and my internet connection going down regularly. Some sites will not load at all!

This coincides with a stream of calls from people from the sub continent wanting to discuss my computer amongst other things. Now not being a full blown IT person, it set me wondering if they have the ability to mess with your broadband or computer and then ask for cash to 'repair' it?

I am always quite polite and decline to speak to them as they always seem to struggle when you start asking them questions!

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Don´t talk to them . They are phishing and are out for your money.

If you let them access your computer they will encrypt and lock your data etc. Then you have to pay a ransom to get them to open it again.

Check out this article for more info.

Tech Support Scams

Edited by Godred_Crovan
  • Like 4

Odd that, my MT broadband connection is crap for a few days - then MT ring me up and offer to put me on a higher cost, 'faster' package.

I decline and it's all a few hours after I put the phone down.

Don´t talk to them . They are phishing and are out for your money.

You don't say?

Just trying to help him out. Anything wrong with that?

Maybe not up your standards?

He seems to be alive to the dangers of allowing unsolicited callers from foreign countries to access your computer.

That said, others clearly are not, or there wouldn't be such callers.

What is wrong with you all? Don't bandy words with them or attempt to be polite. Just inform them you know that they are thieving scumbags and tell them to fuck off. They are trying to rob you for God's sake. No wonder millions want to come here from the east and finish up mobbed at Calais. Soft touch or what?

• Like 5

I consider my time to be more valuable than theirs so I just hang up.

As above though, my first thought was that it wasn't your internet connection but your WiFi. Perhaps someone has started using a channel nearby and is bleeding into your signal. That's if you're connecting wirelessly that is.

If not, have you done the usual things like rebooting the router and unplugging all your analogue handsets. Have you done a thorough scan for any malware that may have infected your machine?

The scam calls is just a coincidence I would bet.

What is wrong with you all? Don't bandy words with them or attempt to be polite. Just inform them you know that they are thieving scumbags and tell them to fuck off. They are trying to rob you for God's sake. No wonder millions want to come here from the east and finish up mobbed at Calais. Soft touch or what?

That's probably the best idea, but I'm always worried that if I need directory enquiries or to pay my phone bill, or to ring them up for some other reason that they may remember my number & not be very helpful.

Isn't it better to say "Just hang on a bit, I'll just get him" and then leave the phone on the table while they wait for someone to get back on the line. Even if they hang up, if you haven't the line remains open (perhaps - depending on where they call from) costing them money and stopping them from phoning someone else. Of course, it also prevents your wife's mother from phoning in too. Win-win situation.

• Like 6

That's probably the best idea, but I'm always worried that if I need directory enquiries or to pay my phone bill, or to ring them up for some other reason that they may remember my number & not be very helpful.

That's globalisation for you, I suppose.

I would never give cold callers one second of my time. Never answer a phone by stating your number, no need to be rude or play silly games, just hang up. Chances are they don't even know who you are or where you are anyway.

Also, I would never offer a genuine telephone number online. If it's a form requirement, 00000 000000 works fine normally.

Re slow computer and droppng out, MT always recommended changing the channel. Is this still the case?

I find that the 2.4 Ghz part of the spectrum is so crowded that performance is quite badly degraded a lot of the time. It's hard to find a channel that is not already being used. Depends where you are, of course, and OP might be lucky. Actually, the router ought to be taking care of finding the best channels automatically, but if they are all in use, that won't be helping much.

It's worth downloading something like WiFi Explorer to have a look at what's going on. I got a big improvement by buying a 5Ghz router and setting up a network on 5Ghz. It'll only be any use for a while, as 5 Ghz will crowd out too. I also use wired connections for heavy duty items like Smart TV.