Mass Hysteria On Facebook Over IoM Burglaries

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair though he is still recovering from being the victim of crime after that bloke broke in and stole all his payslips.

She is,

I don't agree at all. The police are using social media effectively when required, but don't want to post premature or unfounded information there to start a panic.   Nobody can stop individuals po

Posted Images

Fair point. It all seems very specific dotted around the rock. The odd burglary by an opportunist smack head on here is to be expected, but if some young bird with a scally boyfriend got an admin job at an insurance company and they then decided to play Bonnie and Clyde then it'd make sense if his gang of mates then decided to go after high value jewellery from house to house. Which, going off the feedback from people who have been done over, seems to be the case. No electrical items really being stolen, just straight for the jewellery. I suppose our very own Bergerac at police headquarters will already be onto this as we speak.

Yes, the police said the same, cash and jewellery.

As to a weapon, had an attempted burglary a while ago when I lived in douglas (yes it did used to happen!) and since then I've kept a rolling pin handy, proper big one smile.png

Like Am says, I'm sure it's best not to use it and phone the police, but it does make you feel a bit better.

• Like 1

Latest on Manx Radio News:

Keep property secure say police as investigations into burglaries continue
Published online at 18/01/2015 14:35:00

Be aware - and keep your property secure.

That's the advice from police as they continue to investigate a recent spate of burglaries on the Island.

There have been 25 such incidents since the 9th of this month - 23 of which were at private residences.

Cash and jewellery has been taken and Superintendant Kevin Willson says they don't yet know whether the jewellery is being sold on locally.

Fair point. It all seems very specific dotted around the rock. The odd burglary by an opportunist smack head on here is to be expected, but if some young bird with a scally boyfriend got an admin job at an insurance company and they then decided to play Bonnie and Clyde then it'd make sense if his gang of mates then decided to go after high value jewellery from house to house. Which, going off the feedback from people who have been done over, seems to be the case. No electrical items really being stolen, just straight for the jewellery. I suppose our very own Bergerac at police headquarters will already be onto this as we speak.

Yes, the police said the same, cash and jewellery.As to a weapon, had an attempted burglary a while ago when I lived in douglas (yes it did used to happen!) and since then I've kept a rolling pin handy, proper big one :)Like Am says, I'm sure it's best not to use it and phone the police, but it does make you feel a bit better.

Rolling pin/rounders bat the best option, practical and a decent bit of kit for self defence.

I suppose if we are looking at an inside job we'll never get to know. A large corporation would want to keep it under wraps and if they are based on the island there might be jobs at stake so politics would play a part too. It would probably die a slow death and peter out, we'd get a few ambiguous statements from police and politicians and we'd all go back to business as usual.

Do we know if they have hit any of the "loadsamoney" houses on the Island?

As far as I am aware they ain't. Which is what makes me think it's more of a targeted bit of business. If you're a professional team of crims then why not target the upper end of the scale, guaranteed tens of thousands worth of gear in there, enough to make it worthwhile to just do a few on one/two nights and then disappear with the proceeds. All looks a bit too clinical to me.

As far as I am aware they ain't. Which is what makes me think it's more of a targeted bit of business. If you're a professional team of crims then why not target the upper end of the scale, guaranteed tens of thousands worth of gear in there, enough to make it worthwhile to just do a few on one/two nights and then disappear with the proceeds. All looks a bit too clinical to me.

The loadsamoney houses will have monitored alarm systems and jewellery of significant value will be either kept at the bank or in a home safe, so these properties will not be worth the risk.

They are going for private homes, which are of decent value, where the occupants will have smaller amounts of decent jewellery, which is not required to be kept under lock and key for insurance purposes.

I know that my insurance has a limit of £2k per item before it has to be declared and subjected to conditions

The loadsamoney houses will have monitored alarm systems and jewellery of significant value will be either kept at the bank or in a home safe, so these properties will not be worth the risk.

They are going for private homes, which are of decent value, where the occupants will have smaller amounts of decent jewellery, which is not required to be kept under lock and key for insurance purposes.

I know that my insurance has a limit of £2k per item before it has to be declared and subjected to conditions

We weren't talking £2m+.

I wonder what the correlation of registered higher than £2k value items and attempted burglaries is? I mean, what is the point in attempting to rob a commissioners house on a risk/reward basis?

Edited by Lxxx

Interesting angle on the inside job moll in an insurance company ..maybe true , certainly as i have got fuck all hope it is ...if , as a last resort you must use a rounders bat drill a small hole in the thin end , then loop a cord through it to put hand through so you dont drop it/ have it taken off you/shoved up your own arse

Lots of posts about "reasonable force" and standing your ground, weapons in the house etc.

Bear in mind that if you become aware of an intruder in your house, you should call the police, on your mobile which should be close by anyway, if you think you are in imminent danger of being discovered, (burglar making their way to the room you are in) make enough noise to startle them and hopefully they will retreat rather than risk being spotted by someone who could later identify them.

Only consider fighting as a last resort, there is no use in heroics, you will end up having to defend yourself and your actions in court, or finding out that your unskilled bravado was not equal to the task of subduing a desperate career criminal, or that you could subdue him but not his colleagues, who were hiding by the entry point to your house. you also run the risk of escalating the violence by bringing a weapon that could be taken off you and used against you, or because you are armed you force the burglar to grab something nearby to use as a weapon thus turning a fist fight into weaponized combat.

Having attended numerous self defence seminars, (British Combat Association in coventry with Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine) one of the main things that you get taught is that in a moment of extreme stress (such as a potentially violent altercation) you do NOT rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training. If you don't have any training, you could well freeze or just be throwing yourself into a dangerous situation with someone better equipped to deal with the stress and the adrenaline, who will come off better. Geoff used to tell a story at the seminars about the woman who robbed his house, the first thing she used to do when she entered a property was put on a pan of water to boil, that way if she was interrupted during her search of the house she could throw the boiling water on her victim to aid her escape. It's not worth the risk.

Encouraging this notion of macho bravado is very irresponsible. i hope that anyone who is put in the situation of finding an intruder in their home makes the smart choice of calling the police and staying hidden if possible, rather than risking their life for possessions that are replaceable.

If you feel that this is somehow emasculating, know that I, a professional Martial arts Coach, who has taught for 15 years, with Amateur and professional fighters on my roster, who has attended numerous self defence courses until qualification certificates took up all the space on my office wall, and has 2 different black belt in different styles, I will not approach burglars if they enter my house, but will stay quiet and call the police.

So don't be a loon.

• Like 8

What a load of shite, Lao. If an intruder breaks into your home, do whatever you can to neutralise them. You don't ring the police like a wimp while your house is being robbed and wait 20 minutes while an intruder is in your home while your wife and kids are there. For all we know, these robbers could be child molestors too. No thanks. If someone breaks into my home, I will just grab whatever sharp object I can find and go for them. Maybe I'll lose and be beaten up but some things are more important than your safety - like honour and dignity. We are human beings, not sheep.

Lots of posts about "reasonable force" and standing your ground, weapons in the house etc.

Bear in mind that if you become aware of an intruder in your house, you should call the police, on your mobile which should be close by anyway, if you think you are in imminent danger of being discovered, (burglar making their way to the room you are in) make enough noise to startle them and hopefully they will retreat rather than risk being spotted by someone who could later identify them.

Only consider fighting as a last resort, there is no use in heroics, you will end up having to defend yourself and your actions in court, or finding out that your unskilled bravado was not equal to the task of subduing a desperate career criminal, or that you could subdue him but not his colleagues, who were hiding by the entry point to your house. you also run the risk of escalating the violence by bringing a weapon that could be taken off you and used against you, or because you are armed you force the burglar to grab something nearby to use as a weapon thus turning a fist fight into weaponized combat.

Having attended numerous self defence seminars, (British Combat Association in coventry with Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine) one of the main things that you get taught is that in a moment of extreme stress (such as a potentially violent altercation) you do NOT rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training. If you don't have any training, you could well freeze or just be throwing yourself into a dangerous situation with someone better equipped to deal with the stress and the adrenaline, who will come off better. Geoff used to tell a story at the seminars about the woman who robbed his house, the first thing she used to do when she entered a property was put on a pan of water to boil, that way if she was interrupted during her search of the house she could throw the boiling water on her victim to aid her escape. It's not worth the risk.

Encouraging this notion of macho bravado is very irresponsible. i hope that anyone who is put in the situation of finding an intruder in their home makes the smart choice of calling the police and staying hidden if possible, rather than risking their life for possessions that are replaceable.

If you feel that this is somehow emasculating, know that I, a professional Martial arts Coach, who has taught for 15 years, with Amateur and professional fighters on my roster, who has attended numerous self defence courses until qualification certificates took up all the space on my office wall, and has 2 different black belt in different styles, I will not approach burglars if they enter my house, but will stay quiet and call the police.

So don't be a loon.

Excellent.