Mass Hysteria On Facebook Over IoM Burglaries

Fair points lao , well made but what if your children are in separate bedrooms to the one you are in?

Don't risk it, if you hear something or are sure there is an intruder make loud noises, even announce to the intruder that you know they are there and have already called the police. give him the chance to realise that there is nothing to be gained by sticking around.

Don't worry about having the police catch him in the act if you are concerned for loved ones.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair though he is still recovering from being the victim of crime after that bloke broke in and stole all his payslips.

She is,

I don't agree at all. The police are using social media effectively when required, but don't want to post premature or unfounded information there to start a panic.   Nobody can stop individuals po

Posted Images

Excellent.

How long do the Police take to arrive? If you pick up a phone to call the police, do you not anticipate the burglar may attack you to stop you making the call? What do you do in the minutes between the time you place the call and the time the police arrive, the minutes while the intruder is still in your home? Just sit there, hide and hope they don't enter your bedroom or your child's bedrooms? It's no wonder burglars see us as easy pickings when we have people saying it's good to not lift a finger to protect your family and property. These burglars wouldn't last 5 minutes in Texas where people haven't yet been emaciated to turn to big brother to protect them, where people still have the right to keep arms.

Lots of posts about "reasonable force" and standing your ground, weapons in the house etc.

Bear in mind that if you become aware of an intruder in your house, you should call the police, on your mobile which should be close by anyway, if you think you are in imminent danger of being discovered, (burglar making their way to the room you are in) make enough noise to startle them and hopefully they will retreat rather than risk being spotted by someone who could later identify them.

Only consider fighting as a last resort, there is no use in heroics, you will end up having to defend yourself and your actions in court, or finding out that your unskilled bravado was not equal to the task of subduing a desperate career criminal, or that you could subdue him but not his colleagues, who were hiding by the entry point to your house. you also run the risk of escalating the violence by bringing a weapon that could be taken off you and used against you, or because you are armed you force the burglar to grab something nearby to use as a weapon thus turning a fist fight into weaponized combat.

Having attended numerous self defence seminars, (British Combat Association in coventry with Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine) one of the main things that you get taught is that in a moment of extreme stress (such as a potentially violent altercation) you do NOT rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training. If you don't have any training, you could well freeze or just be throwing yourself into a dangerous situation with someone better equipped to deal with the stress and the adrenaline, who will come off better. Geoff used to tell a story at the seminars about the woman who robbed his house, the first thing she used to do when she entered a property was put on a pan of water to boil, that way if she was interrupted during her search of the house she could throw the boiling water on her victim to aid her escape. It's not worth the risk.

Encouraging this notion of macho bravado is very irresponsible. i hope that anyone who is put in the situation of finding an intruder in their home makes the smart choice of calling the police and staying hidden if possible, rather than risking their life for possessions that are replaceable.

If you feel that this is somehow emasculating, know that I, a professional Martial arts Coach, who has taught for 15 years, with Amateur and professional fighters on my roster, who has attended numerous self defence courses until qualification certificates took up all the space on my office wall, and has 2 different black belt in different styles, I will not approach burglars if they enter my house, but will stay quiet and call the police.

So don't be a loon.

I appreciiate yor post and understand you are a highly trained martial artist etc. I really do .What I`m talking about certainly isn`t macho bravado I certainly can`t fight like you , it`s more why the fuck not - If I`m say on my own, just me or family are far enough away, you don`t know what these people might want or where it might lead if they get in.if I have a weapon handy, I might freeze, I might not.Career criminal or not anybody can kill anybody.People are willing to risk their lives joining the army or racing the TT - or whatever why not tackling a burglar?. It`s not really about what they would take either or pride exactly, it`s more why the fuck should I let them.

• Like 1

If more people were prepared to attack without reservation, and there wasn't this ambiguity about victims of home break-ins possibly facing prosecuted themselves, people might think twice before breaking into other people's homes. We are easy pickings.

That is very flawed US style logic. If everyone has the right to carry a gun then nobody will break into your house carrying a gun. So the more guns we own the safer our lives become.

• Like 1

If more people were prepared to attack without reservation, and there wasn't this ambiguity about victims of home break-ins possibly facing prosecuted themselves, people might think twice before breaking into other people's homes. We are easy pickings.

That is very flawed US style logic. If everyone has the right to carry a gun then nobody will break into your house carrying a gun. So the more guns we own the safer our lives become.

Actually, that's right. The statistics clearly show more gun ownership correlates with reduced crime rates.

• Like 1

Actually, that's right. The statistics clearly show more gun ownership correlates with reduced crime rates.

Complete nonsense.

time and time again this have proven not to be true, all you end up doing is escalating the required level of violence to be successful. you turn simple burglary into armed robbery home invasion, because the criminal knows that resistance is likely they blitzkrieg the house while you are asleep/unaware and tie you up, or even hurt or kill you so they won't be interupted wile they go through your things.

This notion doesn't deter people like you, because you feel manly with your guns and weapons, but you foist upon all the elderly, infirm or less capable of your society a harder more violent criminal because you chose to escalate the risk for reward balance.

There is a saying that goes something like" there is nothing like the battlefield to inspire princes with a love of peace and an abhorrence of war" it is sometimes attributed to Napoleon. until you have experience you Napoleonic battlefield, you are going to nurture hero narratives, and violent victory fantasies. but thats all they are.

Edited by Lao
  • Like 4

People are willing to risk their lives joining the army or racing the TT - or whatever why not tackling a burglar?. It`s not really about what they would take either or pride exactly, it`s more why the fuck should I let them.

Because you've got years of life left to live.

I`m not saying guns exactly but that a law change that does away with burglars rights to sue for anything,law firmly falling on the side of the victim.The alternative is you can`t defend your family - you have to play by certain rules, the burglar doesn`t - so keeps doing it.

all you end up doing is escalating the required level of violence to be successful. you turn simple burglary into armed robbery home invasion.

Correct. All it leads to is unnecessary escalation of events that wouldn't normally pose the risk of death or serious injury if firearm ownership wasn't factored in.

• Like 2

People are willing to risk their lives joining the army or racing the TT - or whatever why not tackling a burglar?. It`s not really about what they would take either or pride exactly, it`s more why the fuck should I let them.

Because you've got years of life left to live.

maybe, people die every day in many pointless ways - drugs,rtc`s etc.

all you end up doing is escalating the required level of violence to be successful. you turn simple burglary into armed robbery home invasion.

Correct. All it leads to is unnecessary escalation of events that wouldn't normally pose the risk of death or serious injury if firearm ownership wasn't factored in.

That might happen anyway though, it does happen that even with no resistance people still get killed,attacked etc. why not atleast get some damage in, maybe you save the next victim,if everyone rolls over,it goes on and gets worse.

Lots of posts about "reasonable force" and standing your ground, weapons in the house etc.

Blah blah

I appreciiate yor post and understand you are a highly trained martial artist etc. I really do .What I`m talking about certainly isn`t macho bravado I certainly can`t fight like you , it`s more why the fuck not - If I`m say on my own, just me or family are far enough away, you don`t know what these people might want or where it might lead if they get in.if I have a weapon handy, I might freeze, I might not.Career criminal or not anybody can kill anybody.People are willing to risk their lives joining the army or racing the TT - or whatever why not tackling a burglar?. It`s not really about what they would take either or pride exactly, it`s more why the fuck should I let them.

It would be irresponsible of me to encourage this attitude, and i take my responsibility in matters like this very seriously, but rather than rushing out to meet the burglar, if you want the greatest chance of success instead of going out to meet the burglar, using a door can be a great way to improve your odds.

By standing behind a door, you can use the door as a weapon and shunt it into the burglar, it is also a very clear crossed line for defending yourself in court, rushing out to attack a burglar requires more justification than, hitting one who is imminently about to discover your location, it lends itself to the notion of a barrier of safety being crossed.

That might happen anyway though, it does happen that even with no resistance people still get killed,attacked etc. why not atleast get some damage in, maybe you save the next victim,if everyone rolls over,it goes on and gets worse.

Who said anything about rolling over, by all means fight if necessary, just remember you have other options. I said use violence as a last resort, not hide in the wardrobe until they find you, and then say "ok you got me", then bend over and pull your ass cheeks open for them!

Running round the house like rambo swinging weapons is stupid, fighting for your safety is not.

• Like 2