Mass Hysteria On Facebook Over IoM Burglaries

Im not big on poking on thrusting movements, especially as untrained people tend to use them at far too much of a range. if ends up being more of a tickle than a strike, because its harder and takes more training to put power into a straight thrust.

Lots of posts about "reasonable force" and standing your ground, weapons in the house etc.

Bear in mind that if you become aware of an intruder in your house, you should call the police, on your mobile which should be close by anyway, if you think you are in imminent danger of being discovered, (burglar making their way to the room you are in) make enough noise to startle them and hopefully they will retreat rather than risk being spotted by someone who could later identify them.

Only consider fighting as a last resort, there is no use in heroics, you will end up having to defend yourself and your actions in court, or finding out that your unskilled bravado was not equal to the task of subduing a desperate career criminal, or that you could subdue him but not his colleagues, who were hiding by the entry point to your house. you also run the risk of escalating the violence by bringing a weapon that could be taken off you and used against you, or because you are armed you force the burglar to grab something nearby to use as a weapon thus turning a fist fight into weaponized combat.

Having attended numerous self defence seminars, (British Combat Association in coventry with Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine) one of the main things that you get taught is that in a moment of extreme stress (such as a potentially violent altercation) you do NOT rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training. If you don't have any training, you could well freeze or just be throwing yourself into a dangerous situation with someone better equipped to deal with the stress and the adrenaline, who will come off better. Geoff used to tell a story at the seminars about the woman who robbed his house, the first thing she used to do when she entered a property was put on a pan of water to boil, that way if she was interrupted during her search of the house she could throw the boiling water on her victim to aid her escape. It's not worth the risk.

Encouraging this notion of macho bravado is very irresponsible. i hope that anyone who is put in the situation of finding an intruder in their home makes the smart choice of calling the police and staying hidden if possible, rather than risking their life for possessions that are replaceable.

If you feel that this is somehow emasculating, know that I, a professional Martial arts Coach, who has taught for 15 years, with Amateur and professional fighters on my roster, who has attended numerous self defence courses until qualification certificates took up all the space on my office wall, and has 2 different black belt in different styles, I will not approach burglars if they enter my house, but will stay quiet and call the police.

So don't be a loon.

i thought ads weren't allowed? sign up for martial arts classes and they teach you how to piss yourself cowering in a corner. amazing how the facebook group was also set up by someone that does martial arts classes. business must be bad.......

Are you having a laugh, i've bit my tongue until all the rambos started having a testosterone measuring contest.

Im not big on poking on thrusting movements, especially as untrained people tend to use them at far too much of a range. if ends up being more of a tickle than a strike, because its harder and takes more training to put power into a straight thrust.

Lots of posts about "reasonable force" and standing your ground, weapons in the house etc.

Bear in mind that if you become aware of an intruder in your house, you should call the police, on your mobile which should be close by anyway, if you think you are in imminent danger of being discovered, (burglar making their way to the room you are in) make enough noise to startle them and hopefully they will retreat rather than risk being spotted by someone who could later identify them.

Only consider fighting as a last resort, there is no use in heroics, you will end up having to defend yourself and your actions in court, or finding out that your unskilled bravado was not equal to the task of subduing a desperate career criminal, or that you could subdue him but not his colleagues, who were hiding by the entry point to your house. you also run the risk of escalating the violence by bringing a weapon that could be taken off you and used against you, or because you are armed you force the burglar to grab something nearby to use as a weapon thus turning a fist fight into weaponized combat.

Having attended numerous self defence seminars, (British Combat Association in coventry with Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine) one of the main things that you get taught is that in a moment of extreme stress (such as a potentially violent altercation) you do NOT rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training. If you don't have any training, you could well freeze or just be throwing yourself into a dangerous situation with someone better equipped to deal with the stress and the adrenaline, who will come off better. Geoff used to tell a story at the seminars about the woman who robbed his house, the first thing she used to do when she entered a property was put on a pan of water to boil, that way if she was interrupted during her search of the house she could throw the boiling water on her victim to aid her escape. It's not worth the risk.

Encouraging this notion of macho bravado is very irresponsible. i hope that anyone who is put in the situation of finding an intruder in their home makes the smart choice of calling the police and staying hidden if possible, rather than risking their life for possessions that are replaceable.

If you feel that this is somehow emasculating, know that I, a professional Martial arts Coach, who has taught for 15 years, with Amateur and professional fighters on my roster, who has attended numerous self defence courses until qualification certificates took up all the space on my office wall, and has 2 different black belt in different styles, I will not approach burglars if they enter my house, but will stay quiet and call the police.

So don't be a loon.

i thought ads weren't allowed? sign up for martial arts classes and they teach you how to piss yourself cowering in a corner. amazing how the facebook group was also set up by someone that does martial arts classes. business must be bad.......

Are you having a laugh, i've bit my tongue until all the rambos started having a testosterone measuring contest.

no straight up martial arts classes are for people that cant fight and shouldn't, i agree with you on the rambo point, using weapons will only get you hurt, best thing is to get out to a safe place, if you have to fight go for the throat,quick jab or grab hold and twist or last resort rip it out

On the quick jab to the throat,I was thinking with knife if it comes to it.

weapons are for girls, they will take that it off you and use it on you tj

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair though he is still recovering from being the victim of crime after that bloke broke in and stole all his payslips.

She is,

I don't agree at all. The police are using social media effectively when required, but don't want to post premature or unfounded information there to start a panic.   Nobody can stop individuals po

Posted Images

Your advice is very welcome. While I have been sleeping near the rolling pin, I know I'd be absolutely useless with it vs someone who's far more hardened to this kind of thing than I am. It's there to make me feel better and that's pretty much as far as it goes.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

• Like 2

Nice post Lao. I was just talking to Mrbees about these burglaries, neither of us would do that kind of thing. Think about it, going into someone's house and stealing stuff, the majority of people just would not do it. It is a very immature thing to do, the only purpose served is greed. Spoiled brat or an adult without the mental capacity to comprehend how pointless their crime is.

What have the hauls been? £200-700 (being generous) what is the point of that? Are there really people so poor they've to risk their freedom for such small amounts? Desperate or desperately stupid.

On the plus side all those lock up and leave properties will come down in price. Not so attractive no we live on the Isle of Man in a striped jumper, wearing a balaclava, carrying a swag bag, is it?

• Like 1

Top tip-

Going out for the day or evening? Make it look like you're in the loo by leaving a pan of cooking oil on lit stove, or a spanner and a lit blow torch under the kitchen sink.