Mass Hysteria On Facebook Over IoM Burglaries

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair though he is still recovering from being the victim of crime after that bloke broke in and stole all his payslips.

She is,

I don't agree at all. The police are using social media effectively when required, but don't want to post premature or unfounded information there to start a panic.   Nobody can stop individuals po

Posted Images

Yesterday, we created over 130 incident logs, which is 80-100 more than we would expect to on a Monday in January. Many of these are fantastic bits of information coming in from the public.

Fantastic meaning good or fantastic meaning made up?

• Like 3

We need a vigilante 'copter.

Ready to go at a moments notice - is that bent Ukrainian one still parked at the airport?

Oo oo oo, and a fast powerboat and a Ferrari .. and some smart suits rolled up to the elbows.

If budget is a concern, don't forget the huge savings on socks.

Most people seem to be using the situation as entertainment. I wonder what they'd do with Facebook if there was a war. Have to shut it down I guess. Maybe they'll have to anyway. Blimey. I'm turning into Geoff Corkish.

'The first casualty of war is truth' as they say.

• Like 1

The police really have backed themselves into a corner on this one. They make very vocal, social media-driven appeals for the publics help to rally together and then when the public respond to that by utilising social media they warn them against it. It will be the community of the island who will help crack this not a couple of bobbys turning up after the event has happened.

I don't agree at all. The police are using social media effectively when required, but don't want to post premature or unfounded information there to start a panic.

Nobody can stop individuals posting, but the police are trying to discourage that to focus the efforts.

• Like 10

We used to joke about pulling up a chair with a bag of popcorn and watching a thread develop on forums.

With Facebook, every single form of life that has any opinion whatsoever can now access the internet and let the world know what they are thinking. The old popcorn analogy has become a reality.

And I used to wonder what 'facepalm' meant. Well I know now.

The police really have backed themselves into a corner on this one. They make very vocal, social media-driven appeals for the publics help to rally together and then when the public respond to that by utilising social media they warn them against it. It will be the community of the island who will help crack this not a couple of bobbys turning up after the event has happened.

I don't agree at all. The police are using social media effectively when required, but don't want to post premature or unfounded information there to start a panic.Nobody can stop individuals posting, but the police are trying to discourage that to focus the efforts.

I completely understand that, but they opened Pandora's box by making social media a large part of their strategy and then appealing for the public's help on it. This is the flip side of social media engagement.

Yeah, I am a big fan of the police using social media, but it's gone a bit wrong today it seems, ha. Just use it to get the word out, and don't engage the uneducated side of humanity like they've done today - you can't win against stupidity, they'll just bring you down to their level.

Still hilarious though. Imagine if there was a real problem on the island :P

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain.

That Facebook group is like watching the birth of something deeply unpleasant.

• Like 1

I don't agree at all. The police are using social media effectively when required, but don't want to post premature or unfounded information there to start a panic.Nobody can stop individuals posting, but the police are trying to discourage that to focus the efforts.

Should they have to be reminded that someone saying "Dave Smith done it" or "I saw a Vauxhall Corsa reg no ABC12345 at the scene it's them" on Facebook is completely stupid and prejudices the investigation and any chances of charges sticking? Or that random car sightings just leave police chasing shadows. There's too many muppets about who should have their broadband confiscated for their own good.

Edited by Wankleaks
  • Like 1