Mass Hysteria On Facebook Over IoM Burglaries

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be fair though he is still recovering from being the victim of crime after that bloke broke in and stole all his payslips.

She is,

I don't agree at all. The police are using social media effectively when required, but don't want to post premature or unfounded information there to start a panic.   Nobody can stop individuals po

Posted Images

Reports of police doing over 100 hours this week,

Nice for the overtime of course, but clearly something wrong if we are little nearer catching burglars.

I would suggest that the Isle of Man Police need the names of the culprits handed to them on a plate, but I am not sure even that would help.

A neighbour had stuff stolen a while back (laptop, passport, cash etc) and because the police said there was not much they could do, he did his own investigating and other neighbours gave him a name of someone seen in the area. Turns out it was a youth in care who, it later transpired, came home that night with an unusual amount of cash (when asked by the carer he said he had been "selling tyres").

So anyway, feeling he might at least get his laptop back he gave the details and name to the police.

They just said "if that's him, we'll get nothing out of him". They did nothing.

Yep folks, a true, sad, story.

• Like 1

Nice for the overtime of course, but clearly something wrong if we are little nearer catching burglars.

I would suggest that the Isle of Man Police need the names of the culprits handed to them on a plate, but I am not sure even that would help.

A neighbour had stuff stolen a while back (laptop, passport, cash etc) and because the police said there was not much they could do, he did his own investigating and other neighbours gave him a name of someone seen in the area. Turns out it was a youth in care who, it later transpired, came home that night with an unusual amount of cash (when asked by the carer he said he had been "selling tyres").

So anyway, feeling he might at least get his laptop back he gave the details and name to the police.

It would appear that policing in the Isle of Man now mirrors policing in the UK.

Everything that happens in the UK gets copied in the IoM, sure as night follows day.

Burglary is now so far down the priority list as the likelihood of catching them with the stolen goods or pinning them to the crime is very low, so I can see their point. Even if they did catch them in the act they'd have a hard time pinning the rest on them so they'd get just charged with the actual crime which they could prove and be free to start again after a short hiatus.

The only way around it is community vigilance, better security and longer sentences once caught, but even then if they want to rob houses, they will. Sad state of affairs but symptomatic of society.

My granny's house was burgled in the 80s. The police knew who did it (boyfriend of the next door neighbour) but they never got enough evidence to get a conviction, so he got away with it, and by all accounts, carried on with his life of burgling houses for a number of years.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone who was hoping for a happy ending.

• Like 1

Well that is the point Mr Sausages, These people get off with it and continue their criminal lives causing further misery

But this one was caught: 3 months the going rate for burglary these day, a non first offence too? sad.png

https://www.facebook.com/IOMSNPT/posts/794226247293303

(incidentally my house was burgled by this guy years ago)

Edited by Wann

The only deterrent is the vigilante one now. It's clear the constabulary and judiciary see it as a low priority crime so if the system itself has turned it's back on it then society will probably have to step up to the plate. Sad but true, that's the way it'll go if this carries on much longer.

• Like 1

Where on earth are you getting the idea that the Police are viewing this as low level crime? They couldn't possibly throw anything more at this series of burglaries.

/edited as removed some of my comment

Edited by Addie

Where on earth are you getting the idea that the Police are viewing this as low level crime? They couldn't possibly throw anything more at this series of burglaries.

To be honest, your posts seem to indicate that you do have a 'problem' with the police for some reason.

I love all the anti police whallas, not particularly on here but on other forums too, the minute their kids are late home from school or someone breaks into their house or their car gets nicked they pick up the phone and dial, yup the Police !

and all those who have never done it, are suddenly experts on how easy it is to catch and convict people of this series of breaks pathetic !!

• Like 4

To be honest, your posts seem to indicate that you do have a 'problem' with the police for some reason.

Burglary in general is a low priority crime due to the reasons many have outlined. The chances of a conviction, if not caught in the act, are slim. The fact that there are so many of them over a short space of time, with the public outcry, means it has been pushed up the priority list. Quite rightly so. The police are doing everything they can and they are doing a great job in the circumstances, that's not in doubt. My point is it is a thankless task and they can only do so much if there are determined criminals out there who are experienced in house crime.

If the judiciary give experienced burglars a 3 month custodial sentence for the crime (as evidenced by the recent story in the local media) then how can we expect to get on top of it, as policing can only do so much after the event and they'll just get out after a short stay inside and get back on it.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1

I love all the anti police whallas, not particularly on here but on other forums too, the minute their kids are late home from school or someone breaks into their house or their car gets nicked they pick up the phone and dial, yup the Police !

and all those who have never done it, are suddenly experts on how easy it is to catch and convict people of this series of breaks pathetic !!

Yes, I tried that, as detailed above. What a waste of time.

Even so, I'm certainly not anti police. Bu I am anti crap-police and I would suggest we have a sizeable quota of them.

• Like 1