Mass Hysteria On Facebook Over IoM Burglaries

Fossils

I worry that people who can do a bit of kung fu or whatever think they also have some sort of moral high ground gift.

It certainly happens, but thankfully our industry does not have the monopoly on the assumption of moral superiority.

Perhaps it's fairer to say that people who were already looking for an excuse to claim the moral high ground find that martial arts is a potential avenue to do so.

Have to laugh at the vigilante FB group / bandwagon that everyone seems to have jumped on without giving any thought to the fact that their profiles could be 'drilled in' to be targetted as the next easy pickings.

No wonder the Island is seen as a soft target when there are so many gullible people on it.

Have to laugh at the vigilante FB group / bandwagon that everyone seems to have jumped on without giving any thought to the fact that their profiles could be 'drilled in' to be targetted as the next easy pickings.

No wonder the Island is seen as a soft target when there are so many gullible people on it.

If they friended someone I would agree, but joining a group doesn't give the group admins or members any particular extra insight to your profile, so I don't see it being a risk.

The daft posts on there are another matter though, people giving it 'Ive just seen a police patrol in xxx' is just letting the scumbags know where to avoid.

I worry that people who can do a bit of kung fu or whatever think they also have some sort of moral high ground gift.

It looked more that they were local criminals so that's apparently ok, but come over criminals aren't welcome. You don't shit on your own doorstep apparently. Does make me wonder where the 'local criminal fraternity' ply their trade.

The mods have banned a poster in this topic for abusive posting. There was a suggestion that he was saying highly defamatory things. Two problems, half a dozen of you quoted the originsl poster. I've hidden those posts because when you quote you are re publishing and you become liable in law. The protection given to ISP and forum owners/ administrators doesn't extend to posters

The mods have banned a poster in this topic for abusive posting. There was a suggestion that he was saying highly defamatory things. Two problems, half a dozen of you quoted the originsl poster. I've hidden those posts because when you quote you are re publishing and you become liable in law. The protection given to ISP and forum owners/ administrators doesn't extend to posters

If I may quote John, it's useful to note his comments, as while trying to defend someone against an apparently malicious poster, I myself have maliciously posted against the person I was trying to protect. Sometimes, maybe, the law can be an ass, but it is the law. (sorry to derail the thread!)

Yeah, it was good while it lasted though.

Now you want to block that Babylon thread because I'm not sure about defamatory but there's some fucking martians/nutters been let out of the asylum.

• Like 3

No need for panic over burglaries, claims chief minister

Published online at 16/01/2015 12:20:00

187575-1.jpg

The chief minister admits a series of burglaries around the Island is a worrying trend.

However, Allan Bell insists there’s no need for the Manx public to panic.

Twenty-one burglaries or attempted burglaries have been reported to the police force over the past week, five of which were reported over Wednesday and Thursday alone.

Mr Bell says the police are working hard to track down those responsible

So, that's all right, then.

That's very interesting information about quoting someone who is being libelous, i'll bear that in mind, as i was one of the people arguing the point with the user, and was guilty of quoting the post in question myself.

Mr Wright wrote “The mods have banned a poster in this topic for abusive posting. There was a suggestion that he was saying highly defamatory things. Two problems, half a dozen of you quoted the originsl poster. I've hidden those posts because when you quote you are re publishing and you become liable in law. The protection given to ISP and forum owners/ administrators doesn't extend to posters”

You might want to let twitter and facebook know as someone took a screen shot and it's been re-tweeted and shared numerous times.

The police have released some pictures. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.406031282895564.1073741829.122025751296120&type=1

They've also 'had a word' with me after some prick reported that I was acting suspiciously yesterday by being parked at the side of the road talking on my phone for 5 minutes. Fucking mental.

• Like 1