Draft Strategic Plan 2015

I haven't waded through the consultation document yet, so I might be doing it an injustice, but I can't really see how you can make decisions about future land use and housing needs in isolation, without considering other factors like where the jobs are.

I would like to make two suggestions (they may not be original but that doesn't make them irrelevant)

1. There is no reason why most of the Government departments and the finance sector businesses have to be located in Douglas. I think some of them could move to other parts of the Island.

2. I think that the centre of Douglas should be primarily residential, retail and leisure, not office accommodation, and the gradual conversion of houses into offices over the past thirty years or so has had an adverse effect on it. It has also created a lot of the traffic and parking problems. I think that those businesses which need to be in the Douglas/Onchan/Braddan area but don't need a 'shop-front' should be encouraged to move to business parks on the outskirts of Douglas. The buildings they currently occupy could then be converted to residential accommodation.

• Like 4

I haven't waded through the consultation document yet, so I might be doing it an injustice, but I can't really see how you can make decisions about future land use and housing needs in isolation, without considering other factors like where the jobs are.

I would like to make two suggestions (they may not be original but that doesn't make them irrelevant)

1. There is no reason why most of the Government departments and the finance sector businesses have to be located in Douglas. I think some of them could move to other parts of the Island.

2. I think that the centre of Douglas should be primarily residential, retail and leisure, not office accommodation, and the gradual conversion of houses into offices over the past thirty years or so has had an adverse effect on it. It has also created a lot of the traffic and parking problems. I think that those businesses which need to be in the Douglas/Onchan/Braddan area but don't need a 'shop-front' should be encouraged to move to business parks on the outskirts of Douglas. The buildings they currently occupy could then be converted to residential accommodation.

Is this the All Island Strategic Plan?

I thought there were going to be Area Plans next. The only one I have seen is the Southern Area Plan and that took ages.

did I mis-read 20,000 new residents in the future? If so we'll sink, (both physically and metaphorically).

I heard that as part of the plan, half of us are going to be issued with buckets to bail out the water and stop us from sinking, while the other half will be issued with oars to row the island to a warmer climate, possibly the mediterranean.

As a backup everyone is being giving swimming lessons in case the plan fails!

• Like 1

I thought there were going to be Area Plans next. The only one I have seen is the Southern Area Plan and that took ages.

There is meant to be two tier system of plans One covering all of the Island one at a strategic level and several (north, south, east and west?) that cover site specific issues.

There is meant to be two tier system of plans One covering all of the Island one at a strategic level and several (north, south, east and west?) that cover site specific issues.

So when is the Eastern Plan going to emerge?

I see in the foreword to the last Strategic Plan in 2007 John Shimmin MHK, who was then Minister at DLGE said the four Area Plans would be taking place within the next 4 years.

Well he certainly missed that target.

Isle of Man Strategic Plan 2007

Foreword

I am pleased to be associated with the publication of the Island’s first Strategic Plan, and

would like to take this opportunity to thank all of those individuals, special-interest

groups, businesses, Local Authorities, and Government bodies who have contributed to

the final form of this long-awaited document.

I trust that all who have an interest or involvement in the development of our Island will

not only find it helpful, but will also participate in the formulation of the second part of

the Development Plan (the four Area Plans), which will be taking place in the next four

years.

Edited by Moghrey Mie