Sunday Roast minus the "Sunday Roast"

Where can I get a good roast dinner on a Sunday without having to listen to 3FM's 'Sunday Roast' program? Everywhere we go seems to have it on. I'm sure a lot people like middle of the road music with a track history after every song, it seems very popular with the pub and restaurant scene but it's not for me.

Any suggestions?

Get husband/wife, encourage them to cook, eat at home smile.png You can listen to what ever you like then.

Cross post ETA : You're mean thrifty like me X-in-man, I hate eating out, the food is always, far less than I expect in quality and far more than I could make it for, in price.

Edited by thebees
  • Like 1

I'm with thebees You can buy a nice bottle of wine plus a fantastic joint from a local butcher for a fraction of what you'd pay dining out on overcooked cheap cut joints. You wouldn't need to cook again for a couple of days or more either and the oven warms the kitchen in the process.

I have an absolutely 100% fool proof recipe for Yorkshire puddings if anyone wants it.

Local farmer on facebook selling absolutely gorgeous big spuds for £7.00 for 25kg sack delivered free.

/our roast pork joint with gorgeous crackling just about ready to come out of the oven to rest for half an hour. Yum :-)

OK thebees, Yorkshires at dawn it is. Can't beat you on the Yorkshire TV touch though ;-)

55g/4ozs flour * salt and freshly ground black pepper * 2 eggs * 5 fl ozs/quarter pint of milk * duck fat for greasing small cake baking tray

All ingredients except milk into a bowl, mix together, add milk a little at a time whisking constantly. Leave to rest for an hour or even overnight.

Preheat oven to 220c. Place duck fat or lard into cake tray and heat 'till hot. 3/4 fill with mixture and back in oven.

After 18-20 minutes, remove from oven, stand back in amazement and enjoy ;-) I like to watch the delectable James Martin whilst it rises.

For Toad in the Hole, heat single baking tin, add sausages and cook on 200c for 10 minutes. Remove and turn sausages over and add Yorkshire mixture and cook until well risen. Oooh Matron.

I do exactly the same as above but also add a few splashes of malt vinegar to the mix. I can't actually remember why as have been doing it for years, maybe makes them rise up even more? Anyway, always turns out fantastic.

Always in a metal tin, tried in a ceramic dish once and was a disaster. Although we did get over it.

Normally i get together with my dad for sunday dinner, but sunday just gone he wasn't in the mood to cook, so I had my sunday roast at the Happy Eater Cafe down the road from me.

It was very nice, and there is a customer jukebox, so you can listen to what you like.

OK thebees, Yorkshires at dawn it is. Can't beat you on the Yorkshire TV touch though ;-)

55g/4ozs flour * salt and freshly ground black pepper * 2 eggs * 5 fl ozs/quarter pint of milk * duck fat for greasing small cake baking tray

All ingredients except milk into a bowl, mix together, add milk a little at a time whisking constantly. Leave to rest for an hour or even overnight.

Preheat oven to 220c. Place duck fat or lard into cake tray and heat 'till hot. 3/4 fill with mixture and back in oven.

After 18-20 minutes, remove from oven, stand back in amazement and enjoy ;-) I like to watch the delectable James Martin whilst it rises.

For Toad in the Hole, heat single baking tin, add sausages and cook on 200c for 10 minutes. Remove and turn sausages over and add Yorkshire mixture and cook until well risen. Oooh Matron.

no snow? you cant make Yorkshires without snow

Sorry to pick holes but just in case anyone follows the same recipe (and I do use it myself) 4oz of flour is 115 grams.

• Like 1