Looking for a little help....

Wibble

I'm doing a beginners web development course and we are creating an 'alternative' IOM website. Its just a light hearted look at the island, probably wont even go live, but will help with the course.

Therefore I need some help with content, and I thought of a page containing some classic Manx gaffes. As I said this is light hearted, so dont want it to turn into some anti government rant, but there have been some absolute classic clangers dropped over the years and so would be grateful to hear of some of them.

Thanks in advance!

I seem to recall when man on man sex was still illegal on the island, Peter Karran said in the Keys that he had no objection to homosexuals, but he didn't want them ramming it down his throat.

The airport thing with the invoice being in Euros was fairly good. I think Bell's had a few beauts as well - something about tyres?

I'm doing a beginners web development course and we are creating an 'alternative' IOM website. Its just a light hearted look at the island, probably wont even go live, but will help with the course.

Therefore I need some help with content, and I thought of a page containing some classic Manx gaffes. As I said this is light hearted, so dont want it to turn into some anti government rant, but there have been some absolute classic clangers dropped over the years and so would be grateful to hear of some of them.

Thanks in advance!

Probably the most widely remembered Tynwald gaffe was Peter Karran describing...."white elephants coming home to roost".

I recall a book of Colemanballs style gaffes made in Tynwald which I think was called Tynwaldballs, though it may have been more imaginative than that. I believe it is still in print.

Beat me to it. It is Tynwaldballs. Lots of belly laughs in there. One that springs to mind: "We are proud of our non-achievements."

I recall a book of Colemanballs style gaffes made in Tynwald which I think was called Tynwaldballs, though it may have been more imaginative than that. I believe it is still in print.

Beat me to it. It is Tynwaldballs. Lots of belly laughs in there. One that springs to mind: "We are proud of our non-achievements."

I think Tynwaldballs was the collaborative work of Watterson and (no longer Rushen MHK) Quintin Gill. It was sold to raise charitable money. I don't know if it's still available.

Towel-head Eddie's (Lowey) was a classic, about when as a lad he wore one of his mum's tea-towels on his head and climbed over the airport fence. Can't remember the exact quote.

Gawne can come out with some beauties, particularly when he gets all rheumy eyed and gives it the thousand yard stare into the mists of Manannan. The man's a poet.

Biggest gaffe I can think of is in Peel. Clearly visible from the beach and prom is the wall (shown on this photo) where somebody tried to write the name of the town in very large letters. But they got their vowels mixed up and spelled it wrong. They must have been so embarrassed when they realised.

post-1143-0-95667300-1421934692_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Sausages
  • Like 2